Need A Mountain Bike

llfsa

Jun 27, 2015
Nothing too fancy, but strong enough so I won't need to replace it any time soon. I'm willing to stretch it as far as 700£. The only thing I need is for it to be very comfortable for long duration courses, also I would prefer something lighter.

In addition to your budget, you need to consider the terrain, your height & fitness, and your ego ...

If the bike is for pavement & tow paths, then your bike really doesn't need ANY suspension ...

And, your focus should be on wheel AND tyre size ...

By my arbitrary reckoning, if you are 5'9" or taller, then you may want to give serious consideration to a 29er regardless of the suspension-or-lack-of ...

If you are shorter than 5'3", then you will probably want to stick with a 26er ...

IMO, the 27.5" wheels-and-tyres will depend on terrain and/or your rider skill & fitness level -- as I told the manager of one bike shop when I realized I had mistakenly picked up a tube for a 29x2.3 tyre & was exchanging it for a 29x2.1 tube, "I'm not man enough to handle a 29x2.3 tyre."

With your budget of £700, you should not have a problem finding a suitable bike ...

Use GIANT's line of bikes as a benchmark for value for your Pound ...

After that see what the other brands of bikes may-or-may-not have that whatever Giant bike you choose to use as a benchmark does-or-doesn't have.

THIS is where your ego comes into play, BTW, because some people want a fancy-schmancy name on the downtube.

alfeng said:
In addition to your budget, you need to consider the terrain, your height & fitness, and your ego ...

If the bike is for pavement & tow paths, then your bike really doesn't need ANY suspension ...

And, your focus should be on wheel AND tyre size ...

By my arbitrary reckoning, if you are 5'9" or taller, then you may want to give serious consideration to a 29er regardless of the suspension-or-lack-of ...

If you are shorter than 5'3", then you will probably want to stick with a 26er ...

IMO, the 27.5" wheels-and-tyres will depend on terrain and/or your rider skill & fitness level -- as I told the manager of one bike shop when I realized I had mistakenly picked up a tube for a 29x2.3 tyre & was exchanging it for a 29x2.1 tube, "I'm not man enough to handle a 29x2.3 tyre."

With your budget of £700, you should not have a problem finding a suitable bike ...

Use GIANT's line of bikes as a benchmark for value for your Pound ...

After that see what the other brands of bikes may-or-may-not have that whatever Giant bike you choose to use as a benchmark does-or-doesn't have.

THIS is where your ego comes into play, BTW, because some people want a fancy-schmancy name on the downtube.
Thanks for your reply.

I am 5'10" and weigh 161lbs, I am a decent rider though not extremely fit but have no trouble handling bigger bikes if that's what you mean. I will definitely be using it around tow paths but I would like to make it suitable for all kinds of terrain. My last bike had no suspension and it was tremendously uncomfortable in uneven ground. Granted it was very cheap but still it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Regarding my ego, it's low as it is but I'd rather keep it by not having my bike break on me than bump it up a little with a fancy name down the pipe.

Stil, I'll have a look at Giant and see what they've got

I would think about a Schwinn if I was going with a bike. They are always reliable, durable and have a lot of wiggle room. They are comfortable too. You might also want to consider a BMX. I am not sure what you are going to use if for.

sbatz72 said:
I would think about a Schwinn if I was going with a bike. They are always reliable, durable and have a lot of wiggle room. They are comfortable too. You might also want to consider a BMX. I am not sure what you are going to use if for.
This is probably the worst advice I have ever read. A BMX? Did you even read his post?
"The only thing I need is for it to be very comfortable for long duration courses, also I would prefer something lighter."
He says he wants something comfortable for long duration's, you suggest a tiny bike that's designed to do tricks over jumps? A bike that has no suspension when he said he wants suspension?
I mean BMX's are awesome. I keep in touch with a friend from High School who is a sponsored BMX rider. The tricks these guys pull off are just insane. I love watching the stuff he puts up on Facebook it blows my mind.
But I would NEVER suggest buying a bmx for long cruises.
Anyways I guess I can' be all negative, so OP tell me what you think of this bike:
http://www.mongoose.com/usa/tyax-expert-29