need a recommendation on a bike

dlackner

Jun 3, 2010
Hi...new to the forum as of today.

I am looking for a bike to ride on the C&O canal path (packed stone and gravel), some road and some rides in the woods. I would like to spend between 500 and 1000. Too many bikes for me to look at online and hoping that someone can help me narrow them down.

Doing a long ride this summer (300 miles in about 5 days) so need something decent. Current bike is old and worn out and will not make the trip.

thanks for any and all advice.

One guy on the fourm seems to think highly of Giant and Fuji...but again, too many to choose from.

Interesting range of uses. Until you said some riding in the woods, I would have thought of a smooth rolling hybrid, as the paths along a canal are almost by definition pretty flat. When you are commuting or riding on the roads, you'll be glad you didn't go for some hi-tech double suspension bike that is designed for crashing down mountains, but saps your power on the road ( while giving you a nice "mushy" ride ).

Regardless of what you end up with, think about how much gear you need to carry, and make sure the bike is build for the racks and panniers you will need. I like to be independent and carry tools, cloths, cameras, food, etc whenever I'm going further than I care to walk home from.

I'd probably tend toward a decision heavily influenced by the product lines at a Local Bike Shop (LBS) rather than just picking one of the major brands. Features and facts are great, but its the local mechanic who keeps you rolling...

Sounds like a great trip, though! I'm keen to do something similar along the British canal system when I'm next there.

Cheers.

thanks for the advice...but your answer prompted me to provide some qualifying information.

1. rarely will I be charging down hills in the woods...so no need to bias the recommendation with that bit of information. It will be an exception, not the rule. 99% of the time it is roads and well worn paths.

2. the canal trail is long (350 miles) but I will have a support truck each evening so no need to pack things on the bike. My son is riding a unicycle alongside me so we are traveling light.

Does that help?

I'd think something in a "hybrid" is the right kind of space.
At 350 miles, you'll still want some light rack and pannier or trunk to keep a flat kit, some weather proof gear and a snack, but you don't need to pack too much.
Enjoy!