Need a sugguestion

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Sebinho, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Sebinho

Sebinho New Member

Hey

I want to take up the sport of cycling however i need a bike before i can start. i'm from calgary alberta and i need any sugguestions where i can get a road bike for a good cheap price but still good quality. So far i've came across a bike that looks in good condition however since i'm new to this i dont know much thats on it. All i know, the bike is Miele Alfa, yellow, shimano pedals, aerobars(by something design), it has 2 water bottles, a pump, wheel repair kit, and its going for about 350 CND.

If you have any suggestions please feel free.

Thanks a bunch

Seb

Tags:

2. DHinrichs

DHinrichs New Member

There are several things to consider in buying any bike and some special considerations for buying a used bike. First you need a bike that fits you. You need the right frame size for your body. You may also need to make some adjustments to the bike even if the frame is the right size. For instance, I have short legs and a long body, so I have to buy smaller frame sizes and then put on long stems for the handlebars so that the distance from the seat to the bars is right for me. When buying a used bike you need to look over the frame carefully. Look for any obvious signs of distress or crashes like big nicks or dents. Also, look for not as obvious signs, like running your finger along the bottom side of the tube that runs from the just by the fork to where the pedals are. You are looking for ripples near the fork that indicate the bike has been in a hard front end collision of some sort. Don't confuse the weld for ripples, if there are some, they would be probably in the first inch after the weld. Check where other tubes meet for cracks. If the frame looks good and it is your size, keep considering it. There are different levels of components (the gears and brakes etc) that could be on the bike, to replace these as a set can be quite expensive, so look for a quality group there. There is probably a name on the rear shifter mechanism that will tell you which group of Shimano gears etc. this bike has. (Assuming it is shimano since you said the pedals are Shimano -- although these don't have to be the same at all) Okay, with all that, I'm not actually familiar with this particular brand of bike at all so can't give general comments on this bike. I have a Marin road bike and am very happy with it. I happened to buy that bike used. I found it in a sale that a local cycling club was putting on. A good place to look because sometimes those riders will buy new bikes every year or every other year and usually treat them well.

3. Sebinho

Sebinho New Member

hey, thanks for the advice, it really helped me alot. A will take all those sugguestions into consideration when looking at bikes now. I think a local bike shop is a great place to start.

Thanks again

Seb