Need adivse on Rims

dalton565

Jul 20, 2004
hey, im pretty new to cycling and my knowledge on components isnt the best so bear with me.

Im currently using vuelta crosser rims with continental GP 3000 tyres

rim dimension is 700C

my current rims are Vuelta Crosser, shown here

http://www.cyberspeiche.de/fotos/vuexrpl1.jpg

they where on the bike when i got it so im not sure of how good they are.

Anyway i was out a cycle a few days past, and heard a twang and felt a slap on the back on my left leg, i looked down only to discover that one of the spokes had snapped and was spinning round and clapping me with every revolution.

I got out and ripped it off with some difficulty and got home fine. Whats the best thing for me to do, will the rim still be stable with one less spoke. Or do i need to replace the whole rim, as they seem to be a very hard to rim to get hold of.

And are vuelta crosser wheels good or bad in the cycling world, anyone got any idea.

Anyway any information on the subject will be appreciated

thanks
rick

dalton565 said:
hey, im pretty new to cycling and my knowledge on components isnt the best so bear with me.

rim dimension is 700C

Anyway i was out a cycle a few days past, and heard a twang and felt a slap on the back on my left leg, i looked down only to discover that one of the spokes had snapped and was spinning round and clapping me with every revolution.

I got out and ripped it off with some difficulty and got home fine. Whats the best thing for me to do, will the rim still be stable with one less spoke. Or do i need to replace the whole rim, as they seem to be a very hard to rim to get hold of.

And are vuelta crosser wheels good or bad in the cycling world, anyone got any idea.

thanks
rick

How many miles ridden?
How much do you weigh?
How old is the bicycle/wheel?
What will it cost to be repaired?

I wouldn't ride any further than I needed to with 1 in 24 spokes missing. It is harder on the rim and surrounding spokes.

i would say the wheel has ridden somewhere in the region of 1000 - 1500 miles

i weight about 90kg

the wheel is about 2 year old max

ive absolutley no idea how much itll cost to fix, or if its even fixable, as the spoke that came off is torn to shreads and the spoke shape is unique.

wat do u think i shud do

rick

Your a big guy and there aren't a lot of spokes in those aero wheels. Don't ride on it that way. Remove the wheel and tire and take it to the shop for spoke replacement/wheel truing. If it happens again, you may have to rethink the wheels you use or stay away from curb jumping ;)
George

dalton565 said:
i would say the wheel has ridden somewhere in the region of 1000 - 1500 miles

i weight about 90kg

the wheel is about 2 year old max

ive absolutley no idea how much itll cost to fix, or if its even fixable, as the spoke that came off is torn to shreads and the spoke shape is unique.

wat do u think i shud do

rick
Get the spoke replaced as soon as you can and get the wheel trued and checked over.
Those unique shaped spokes can be trouble to find. However, it they have standard ends, you may substitute (temporarily) a "normal" spoke of the correct length.
I don't want to preach about it; but there are many good reasons to use standard hubs, spokes, and rims in wheels.
You have just experienced one good reason.

dalton565 said:

rim dimension is 700C

thanks
rick

You can replace this spoke with a normal one, it will fit perfectly ( I assume that the rim is undemaged).

I would replace all of spokes at once. When spokes start to snap after a reasonable amount of kms is better to replace all the spokes at once.

Theese bladed spokes are very heavy (in terms of cycling) If you replace them you will get rid of a lot of extra weight and end up with a lighter wheel.

This specific set of wheels is a "basic set of wheels" and not considered "good" in the world of cycling.