Need advice about hypoglycaemia dip after swimming

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Deli, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Deli

    Deli Guest

    I have embarked on a distance swimming programme to increase fitness. I have been swimming five days
    a week, once in the morning (one hour, about 2000
    m) and once in the early evening ( one hour, about 2000 m) each of the five days. In my third week
    of this, I found myself to be slightly dizzy and shaky after coming back from the pool. I am
    fairly sure it's hypoglycaemia (sp?) from reading this newsgroup and web pages. I am going to
    consult my physician shortly.

    What can I do in my diet to mitigate the problem. Should I eat a bagel immediately after a swim,
    before the swim, is there other things I can do in my diet or some magic fix ? I have found this to
    be very disconcerting and need advice!

    deli

    Tags:

  2. Deli wrote:

    > I have embarked on a distance swimming programme to increase fitness. I have been swimming five
    > days a week, once in the morning (one hour, about 2000
    > m) and once in the early evening ( one hour, about 2000 m) each of the five days. In my third week
    > of this, I found myself to be slightly dizzy and shaky after coming back from the pool. I am
    > fairly sure it's hypoglycaemia (sp?) from reading this newsgroup and web pages. I am going to
    > consult my physician shortly.
    >
    > What can I do in my diet to mitigate the problem. Should I eat a bagel immediately after a swim,
    > before the swim, is there other things I can do in my diet or some magic fix ? I have found this
    > to be very disconcerting and need advice!

    I think a banana right after swimming would work, but if you are subject to wild fluctuations in
    blood sugar, then try a hard boiled egg right after swimming. A bagel right after swimming might
    work just as well. Also make sure you drink plenty of water during the day.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  3. T.W.

    T.W. Guest

    ... hypoglycemia is not likely, since your liver should have enough glycogen to get you through your
    workouts. A simple way to determine your blood glucose level would be to do a finger-stick test when
    you're having symptoms. You probably have a friend with diabetes, or know somebody who does. They
    will have a glucose monitor.

    If your glucose is actually low - and it's not a result of medication (insulin, diabetes pills, etc)
    - then your doctor might want to investigate. There are several rare, but well-known, causes.

    "Deli" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have embarked on a distance swimming programme to increase fitness. I
    have
    > been swimming five days a week, once in the morning (one hour, about 2000
    > m) and once in the early evening ( one hour, about 2000 m) each of the
    five
    > days. In my third week of this, I found myself to be slightly dizzy and shaky after coming back
    > from the pool. I am fairly sure it's hypoglycaemia (sp?) from reading this newsgroup and web
    > pages. I am going to consult my physician shortly.
    >
    > What can I do in my diet to mitigate the problem. Should I eat a bagel immediately after a swim,
    > before the swim, is there other things I can do
    in
    > my diet or some magic fix ? I have found this to be very disconcerting and need advice!
    >
    > deli

  4. T.W.

    T.W. Guest

    If you have a friend with diabetes, it would be simple to check your glucose when you're having
    symptoms. If the glucose level is indeed low - which would be unusual, since your liver stores
    plenty of glycogen - I'm sure your physician will look into several rare, but well known,
    possibilities. The dizziness could be a result of blood being shunted to your muscles (normal
    post-exertion) and your skin (normal when you're hot) thus dropping your brain-flow a bit. Lie down
    and it should go away. The shakiness, a manifestation of "adrenaline" release, could be due to many
    things (as you've heard, hypoglycemia is one of them).