Need Advice ASAP PLEASE...NEW

asuna

Nov 27, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am extremely excited to start cycling! I am, however, very new. I haven't ridden a bike in years. I do love taking spin classes at my local gym. I need your expertise on the particular bicycle I seen in my local bicycle shop. My husband and I are thinking of buying this brand:

Del Sol LXi 6.1 for $375 on sale on black Friday. Before we make that decision I need your expert opinions.

A little background info first. I am female, 31 years old. Overweight but I love the gym and am working on that. My hubby is also slightly overweight. Neither one of us have rode a bike since we were teenagers so we have a lot to learn and are excited to embark on a new journey. We will want to ride mainly on roads but some on gravel and hills, etc. I understand this is a hybrid bike. We do get to test it Friday.

On a side note, I had no idea bikes could be so expensive!!! I do not want to purchase a bike from XMart because I am serious about starting to ride. I also don't want to shell out a thousand dollars for one bike. At least, not yet.

Please, if any of you have any advice on whether or not I should purchase the Del Sol please respond. Thank you :)

The appearance and spec is close to a Trek Shift 2, which retails for about $550. The components look good, but the frame looks more like what the fabricator had on hand rather than something designed with the rider's comfort and ergonomics in mind. The high bottom bracket and steep seat tube angle make for difficulty getting a foot on the ground when the saddle is at the right height. I'm also skeptical of the in-store assembly, and dealer service.

The MSRP on the Del Sol is $400, so the Black Friday discount is pretty negligible. These prices will be coming around time and again.

I suggest taking a deep breath, visiting a bike shop or two, test riding a few hybrids of different styles, exploring the options and finding something you can live with for a few years.