Need advice !! canyon bikes sizing

mikael picard

Mar 24, 2016
Hi everyone!

I am looking to buy a Canyon Aeroad bike.

On the website, they have a size calculator. When I put my measures, it says Medium (56)

I currently ride a look 695 (54)

here are my measurements
176cm
inseam: 83
arm: 61
torso:59

I am wondering if I should take a small or medium? I joined the canyon GEO

thanks for any advise! It is not easy to buy online

Capture_d_cran_2016_03_22_12_00_47.png

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2016-03-22 à 12.00.47.png
    Capture d’écran 2016-03-22 à 12.00.47.png
    461.3 KB · Views: 128
If you're happy with the fit of your Look, measure the horizontal distance from the center of the top of the head tube to the center of the seat post. That's your horizontal or virtual top tube. Now see what comes closest to it on the Canyon chart. Now measure the length of the head tube, and check that number against the chart.

Now decide which is more important to you, head tube height (an approximation of stack) or virtual top tube (an approximation of reach). I suggest that reach is more important.

FWIW. I think that you need to consider WHY you are considering a different frame ....

Perhaps a strong consideration for YOUR decision may be based on the HEAD TUBE ANGLE because it will have some impact on how the bike handles at different speeds ...

The slightly steeper angle may feel more nimble at comparatively slower speeds (whatever THAT means!) ....

But, the slightly longer wheelbase may offset THAT sensation ...​

The slightly slacker angle may feel more stable at comparatively faster speeds if all other things were equal.
Compare the angles on your current frame's head tube AND decide if you want the same or a slightly different feel to how your next bike may-or-may-not handle.

Of course, SOME of your decision can be based on your aesthetic sensibilities AND your actual flexibility + preferred riding position ...

IF you PREFER that your bike's appearance includes a lot of exposed seatpost, then choose the smaller of the two frames ...

BUT, if your current stem-and-handlebar are level with OR only an inch-or-so lower than the top of your saddle, then you should probably get the larger (i.e., Medium) frame & use a slightly shorter stem ...

If your current stem-and-handlebar are above the top of the saddle, then you definitely want the slightly larger frame, IMO.​

If you prefer to set up your bike with your stem-and-handlebar closer to 4" (or, more!) below the top of your saddle, then you should probably choose the smaller of the two sizes.

Someone I know who is apparently 6'1" races on a SMALL Road frame!!​

NOW, presuming that you're generally happy with how your LOOK frame handles, then if you really just want a different appearance to the bike you're riding, then just consider getting-and-using some Campagnolo components!!! :)

A significantly less expensive option which I have read that other people have suggested is to simply change the color of your handlebar tape.
BTW. Whenever in doubt, choose a Pinarello or Colnago AND restart the thought process from the beginning.

176 cm puts you at a whisker above 5'9", which is the tall side of medium, or not quite tall. Canyon nominal sizing looks a little skewed, but their small is pretty comparable to a medium (54 cm) Trek H1 (short head tube) Madone or Emonda. Really, Canyon's medium is more like a 56, which translates to large in most catalogs.

Get the Small.

176 cm puts you at a whisker above 5'9", which is the tall side of medium, or not quite tall. Canyon nominal sizing looks a little skewed, but their small is pretty comparable to a medium (54 cm) Trek H1 (short head tube) Madone or Emonda. Really, Canyon's medium is more like a 56, which translates to large in most catalogs.

Get the Small.
FWIW. I fully agree that the OP should choose the small CANYON frame ...

THAT is the size which I would have chosen for MYSELF since (as I have frequently stated, I am 175cm tall) ...

As much for aesthetic reasons as not!​
BECAUSE, despite my almost advanced age, I still prefer the less casual configuration which not everyone (as we can see by the plethora of bikes which have a tall head tube) is so inclined to prefer.​
So, in my typically wordy fashion, I thought the OP should know some other things which he might want to factor into his consideration beyond the real-or-virtual top tube length + head tube length.