Need advice for Community Bicycle Project

Dave Reckoning

Guest
Three questions, humbly submitted for our project's enlightenment:

1)
We are putting together a checklist for our amateur mechanics to use to
ensure that donated used bicycles are reliable and safe before they go to
new adult owners. I could put one together but it would most certainly not
be as good as what I know this group probably already has somewhere. Any
lists of what how and when to check for would be most useful.

2)
We would like to give out locks with the bikes, has anyone experience with
this? Keys seem problematic, is there a good inexpensive combination lock?
If so, any suggestions on how to set the combination initially? (users
birthday etc.)

3)
Some of these bikes go to kids who "earn" the bike by learning how to
overhaul it's components. Any suggestions on youth rider training to ensure
the safety of the kids in an urban environment would be gratefully accepted.
I personally don't mind scaring the **** out of them with pictures of kids
that got run over, perhaps there is a better approach though.

Bonus Question (my personal jihad):

We are in Indianapolis, It is FLAT here. Is there anyone with experience
giving kids or adults single speeds, coaster or fixed in this kind of
program? If so a description of your experience would be most helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far.

Dave Reckoning
Noblesville, Indiana

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:41:01 -0500, "Dave Reckoning"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Three questions, humbly submitted for our project's enlightenment:
>
>1)
>We are putting together a checklist for our amateur mechanics to use to
>ensure that donated used bicycles are reliable and safe before they go to
>new adult owners. I could put one together but it would most certainly not
>be as good as what I know this group probably already has somewhere. Any
>lists of what how and when to check for would be most useful.
>
>2)
>We would like to give out locks with the bikes, has anyone experience with
>this? Keys seem problematic, is there a good inexpensive combination lock?
>If so, any suggestions on how to set the combination initially? (users
>birthday etc.)
>
>3)
>Some of these bikes go to kids who "earn" the bike by learning how to
>overhaul it's components. Any suggestions on youth rider training to ensure
>the safety of the kids in an urban environment would be gratefully accepted.
>I personally don't mind scaring the **** out of them with pictures of kids
>that got run over, perhaps there is a better approach though.
>

>Bonus Question (my personal jihad):
>
>We are in Indianapolis, It is FLAT here. Is there anyone with experience
>giving kids or adults single speeds, coaster or fixed in this kind of
>program? If so a description of your experience would be most helpful.
>
>Thanks for taking the time to read this far.
>
>Dave Reckoning
>Noblesville, Indiana

I'd stay away from Fixies in this instance, if for no other reason
than loability. Fixies require a different skill set.
I never had more than a single speed before I was 30, and it's not
flat here in Central Ontario. Coasters are more than adequate,
particularly for urban use. I DID have a front brake on my bike as a
teenager, along with the coaster.and it was handy, but did throw me
once (locked the front brake in loose gravel and did a face-plant in
the ditch beside the road - thankfully lush grass)