Need Advice---Knee problem

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Les Wright, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Les Wright

    Les Wright Guest

    April 6th ran a 10K, the next day I could hardly walk--extreme pain behind
    the knee. Nothing found after an x-ray and MRI. Lot of popping around the
    knee and then can walk without pain for awhile. When sitting for a period
    of time the pain is back when I stand up to walk. The pain is behind the
    knee. Any help would be appreciated.

    Les

    Tags:

  2. Dan Glyn

    Dan Glyn Guest

    "Les Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > April 6th ran a 10K, the next day I could hardly walk--extreme pain behind
    > the knee. Nothing found after an x-ray and MRI. Lot of popping around the
    > knee and then can walk without pain for awhile. When sitting for a period
    > of time the pain is back when I stand up to walk. The pain is behind the
    > knee. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Les

    There's only one thing to do Les, amputate it. Preferably at home with
    a chansaw, and live on the web so we can watch. But either way it must
    be done, and the sooner the better before any of these incompetent
    fools can give you bad advice. Trust me on this.

  3. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Les Wright <[email protected]> wrote:

    > April 6th ran a 10K, the next day I could hardly walk--extreme pain behind
    > the knee. Nothing found after an x-ray and MRI. Lot of popping around the
    > knee and then can walk without pain for awhile. When sitting for a period
    > of time the pain is back when I stand up to walk. The pain is behind the
    > knee. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Les

    Les,

    Roll the quads. Check out http://www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp

    The second picture you can roll on the ground on a piece of PVC or pipe
    or broom handle.

    You're getting the muscle to relax and also getting the fascia to let
    go.

    Some previous posts that may help:

    Rolfing, Heller Work and any work that deals with the connective
    tissue: fascia works on letting the fascia release from where it may be
    adhering or has shortened when there was muscle damage.

    Release the fascia, massage out the knotted areas in the muscle and
    then begain to release/stretch the muscles that have been constricted
    and unable to let go due to the fascial constriction or the scar tissue
    in the muscle fibers.

    If you open you hand and keep it open while trying to close it you'll
    get a sense of what it means to be unable to stretch a weight bearing
    muscle.

    Also the reason one's hams might be difficult to stretch is because
    the antagonist muscle group, in this case the Quads are contracting and
    only semi-relaxing which means the hamstring has to work against a
    resistant antagonistic muscle.

    If you stop resisting with the open hand, when you close the hand the
    hand the antagonistic muscles relax.

    Ozzie

    In health and on the run,
    Ozzie Gontang
    Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
    Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975

    Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/

    Some previous posts that might be of help in your thinking about your
    knee, which most often than not is caused by the quads or the
    hamstrings being too tight.

    Post #1

    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a bit of advice, I have recently started to increase
    > my mileage (outdoors, mostly on road) and in the last month or so my
    > right knee has started to give me grief after running. Its a generally
    > feeling of stiffness, slight discomfort not localized in any particular
    > place but across the whole knee. It is particularly noticeable when
    > going down stairs. It doesn't give me any problems when running but a
    > couple of hours after/next day it seems to stiffen up. From what i've
    > read it seems to be "runners knee", I think I roll my right foot more
    > than the left but whether that is the root cause I am not sure.
    > I have read some of Ozzie's posts on this or similar, (Sept 1st on
    > rolling pins and facia release) and that is a long term cure/relief,
    > what I was wonder is what I should do now?
    >
    > Stop running for a couple of weeks.
    > Cut down on my running.
    > Only run on soft surfaces or treadmills.
    > Wear a (neoprene) knee support.
    > Seek medical advice.
    > or none of the above.
    >
    > Any advice or help would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Neil Riddoch

    Neil,

    The rolling of the quads or massaging them is extremely helpful in
    loosening the quad muscle so that it can relax and release. Once that
    happens, the muscles relaxes and takes the pressure off the tendon
    which then takes the pressure off the knee.

    As I've mentioned in other posts, during a training run, I may stop 6
    to 10 times to keep loosening the quads or hamstrings.

    Freeing the quads and working on the hamstring by using the edge of a
    chair on them or sitting on a tennis ball or later a baseball as a way
    to accupressure the hamstrings will do more for the release of tendons
    around the knee.

    Remember muscles relax and contract. If they only partially relax,
    then the tendon has to take up that tension. Tendons can stretch but
    they're not suppose to. It's the muscles that relax and contract.
    Loosen that which is suppose to relax and unnecessary tension to the
    tendon disappears.

    If you are hitting on the back of the heel of the shoe as you run, as
    in heel striker, then you are giving your joints a beating. We're back
    to lifting the knees and marching in place to see what running is
    about. If you are lifting your center of gravity with each step more
    than is needed, then you are coming back down to earth with a rather
    hard jar to the knees. If you are landing on the back of the heel of
    the shoe, they your running is a deceleration with each step because of
    the overstride. Overstride defined as your foot is landing in front of
    your center of gravity.

    Don't know how much running you're doing so don't know if it's about
    cutting down. Practice lifting the knees as in marching in place and
    lean from the ankle. Land softly ball then heel. As soon as the heel
    touches that triggers the lifting of the other knee. The transition
    means you don't have to jump up and down with each step.

    I'm for running on uneven ground so as to get the foot/ankle and leg
    able to do what they're suppose to do, adjust. I have an article
    somewhere that talks about FSOS (Flat Surface Overuse Syndrome)

    We'll be watching as you play with finding out what works for you. As
    mentioned many times. My stuff is folklore. If it works for you, use
    it. If it doesn't don't give it any (read: ZERO) energy and find
    someone that does make sense and whose folklore works for you. And
    when you find that, come back and share it with me and the others so
    that we can educate ourselves better. And finally when you can't find
    any good folklore, create what works for you and then share it back
    here at rec.running for all of us to play with and test and experiment
    with.

    Post #2

    Jerry Freedman wrote:

    > I wrote here a few weeks ago. I had just started running and had a bad cramp
    > in on calf(soleus) and achilles tendinitis in the other. Ozzie replied
    > (thanks again)along with others who pointed me to Ozzie's stuff. I took a
    > few weeks off, did all the stretches, the marching exercises, the "stirrup"
    > squat and started back running (quietly). The good news is that my calf
    > problems are gone. Even with the running my AT gets better everyday. The
    > question I have is about my quads. To run quietly ( as recommended) with a
    > ball heel strike I find I have to maintain a sort of crouch. This is very
    > hard on my quads. I am doing 2 minutes run/1 minute walk for 20 minutes and
    > my quads can barely take it. Is this something I work through? Is it a
    > technique problem? I already lift weights including squats and deadlifts..
    >

    > Jerry Freedman

    Jerry,

    The second picture at http://www.mindfulness.com/of5.asp where the
    people are on hands and feet with the quads across the lower railing of
    a hand rail would be a way to massage out the quads. You can use a
    rolling pin on the ground or a piece of PVC, inch and a half or two
    inch. Most of the weight is on the forearms and toes and knees.
    Gradually you allow the railing/rolling pin/PVC to sink into the quads
    as you relax and allow the quads to let go but taking weight off the
    forearms and toes and knees. Do it lovingly and gradually.

    Then you can begin to roll forward or backward to work the quads loose
    always keeping most of the weight on the feet, knees and
    forearms/hands. Also continue to breathe and keep the face and
    shoulders relaxed otherwise you're transferring the tension from one
    part of your body to another. The various techniques of breathing used
    in helping women prepare for the birthing process follow the same idea
    of keeping the body relaxed completely.

    Regarding loosening up the hamstrings to release the quads more, here's
    a piece from a previous post:

    When sprinting, the quads(antagonists) get overstretched by the
    hamstrings and gluts (agonists). I think I read in John Jesse that
    hams and/or gluts account for 55% of the forward thrust when sprinting.
    As they contract to catapult the body forward, the quads and the
    illiopsoas are suppose to be relaxing and stretching to their max. But
    if one's posture is prone to slouching, then the psoas is shortened
    and when overstretched as happens in sprinting, it contracts or
    tightens to protect itself. That tightening when joined by the
    Illiacus is deep and often one feels it in the origin of the illiacus
    at the top of the illiac crest of the pelvis. It may be the symptom of
    the hamstrings having also tightened because they were strained because
    the quads only partially relaxed when they quads were to have been
    totally relaxed.

    So. Get two baseballs. Or more gently start with two tennis balls.

    Sit on a chair and let the tennis balls rest in the middle of the
    hamstring. Or you can go up toward the sitz bones of the pelvis and
    roll across the tennis balls by moving your body side to side over the
    tennis balls. Up toward the sitz bones you'll feel yourself going over
    tendons, feels like going over pieces of rope. Just sitting on the
    tennis balls can act almost like an accupressure which can let the
    muscle's tight spot or trigger point relax.

    If you want to see how tight one of the hams is, sit on the EDGE of the
    chair. One leg has the foot on the ground with the foot under the
    knee, as most of of sit anyway. The other leg is out straight resting
    on the heel. Close to a 45 degree angle between the ground and the
    leg. Stay slouched and lift up that straightened leg. Now sit up
    straight so that you are sitting on your sitz bones and the body is
    erect. Now lift up your leg and you'll see that it's harder to lift up
    the leg because the lifting muscle illiopsoas has to now work against
    your hamstring which has been stretched by you sitting up straight.

    So work on the hamstrings and loosen them by massage with the tennis
    balls and them gradually go to the baseballs.

    Also practice sitting up a quarter of an inch straighter during your
    day. Remind yourself to do it ten times a day and know that it will
    only last 20 to 30 seconds each time. This way you're not straining
    the hams or the psoas and gradually you'll elongate those muscles. But
    they're much easier to elongate if you're doing the rolling with the
    tennis and/or baseballs when you're sitting at your desk at your
    computer. Sit in a chair which has no back and no arms, so that you
    are practicing the erect posture of a good runner. Gradually as you
    stretch the hams, and psoas by good posture, it will effect your
    running so that the tone of the quads, hams and gluts will be such that
    their range of motion doesn't restrict the range of motion of the
    agonist muscle group(s).

    Let us know how you continue to progress.

    Ozzie