Need Advice, Kona or Trek??

GarKitty

Feb 6, 2008
MMKay, well I'm pretty new to the serious cycling world, I would bike around campus all 4 years of undergrad and go riding with friends, sadly on my equivalent of a Wal-Mart bike.

I've since moved across the country and am going to be buying my first real bike. Unfortunately, as a student, I've only been able to scrounge up between $300-$400...which bumps me down to hybrid status. I've done research, on this and other forums, and I was pretty much set on a Trek 7100, and then one of my friends recently purchased a Kona Dew. I'm not bike savvy...and they pretty much seem the same to me.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice, on either the specific models, or maybe the companies??

I would be using this as a fitness bike, casual road rides with friends on weekends, and hopefully the occasional 50mi.

Thanks!!! :)

GarKitty said:
If I should post in another thread of the board, lemme know. Thanks! :)
Yes. You're in Bike Racing > Road Racing. You should be in Tech Corner > Bike Buying Advice.

GarKitty said:
I've done research, on this and other forums, and I was pretty much set on a Trek 7100, and then one of my friends recently purchased a Kona Dew. I'm not bike savvy...and they pretty much seem the same to me.
FWIW. IMO, between the two, I recommend that you get the KONA ... or a JAMIS/MONGOOSE/whatever which has equivalent components ... you'll be happier with whatever you get in the long run IF it doesn't have TREK decals on the frame!

Actually, you're often paying a slight premium for the TREK name (and, some others!) which may-or-may-not be warranted ... your personal sense of aesthetics & the bike's cosmetics count ... so, factor THAT into your decision.