need advice- Looking at buying soime Spinergy Carbon Rev X race wheels.

>From add
"Spinergy Carbon Rev X race wheels.

Bearings and skewers are in good order - the wheels run true with no
nicks or cracks in the laminate. The front is set up with a magnet for
your computer.
Wheels come with new Continental 3000 race tires in matching yellow,
new Vittoria Ultralite tubes, skewers and an 11-25 cassette [Shimano
10 speed].
If you race a 10 speed Shimano groupset, all you have to do is slot
these on before a race and you'll drop your times - these wheels give
an awesome aero advantage over conventional spoked wheels."

Will these fit a Giant 55 cm with 105 10 speed cassette? what are
they like for a aero wheel?

On Jul 28, 2:36 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >From add

> "Spinergy Carbon Rev X race wheels.
>
> Bearings and skewers are in good order - the wheels run true with no
> nicks or cracks in the laminate. The front is set up with a magnet for
> your computer.
> Wheels come with new Continental 3000 race tires in matching yellow,
> new Vittoria Ultralite tubes, skewers and an 11-25 cassette [Shimano
> 10 speed].
> If you race a 10 speed Shimano groupset, all you have to do is slot
> these on before a race and you'll drop your times - these wheels give
> an awesome aero advantage over conventional spoked wheels."
>
> Will these fit a Giant 55 cm with 105 10 speed cassette? what are
> they like for a aero wheel?

The Rev X wheels have been out of production since 1999 and Spinergy
no longer supports them.

With the spokes being made from carbon, you must be constantly
vigilant for damage to the laminate. Any nicks, dings or damage can
make the wheels suspect. There have been more than just a few reports
of catastophic failures with these wheels. Because there are only 8
spokes per wheel, if a spoke does break the wheel can collapse
suddenly.

[email protected] wrote:
> to make things worse these are only 4 spokes each rim. that mean they
> are better or worse?

On a normal wheel, a broken spoke leaves 35 (or 31) spokes. You'll have
to remember to replace it within a week or two.

On a Spinergy, it's fatal.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jul 29, 12:04 am, [email protected] wrote:
> to make things worse these are only 4 spokes each rim. that mean they
> are better or worse?

Really unless you're getting them for practically free... meh. They're
not even cool anymore.

On Jul 28, 5:36 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >From add

> "Spinergy Carbon Rev X race wheels.
>
> Bearings and skewers are in good order - the wheels run true with no
> nicks or cracks in the laminate. The front is set up with a magnet for
> your computer.
> Wheels come with new Continental 3000 race tires in matching yellow,
> new Vittoria Ultralite tubes, skewers and an 11-25 cassette [Shimano
> 10 speed].
> If you race a 10 speed Shimano groupset, all you have to do is slot
> these on before a race and you'll drop your times - these wheels give
> an awesome aero advantage over conventional spoked wheels."
>
> Will these fit a Giant 55 cm with 105 10 speed cassette? what are
> they like for a aero wheel?

The wheels are fine, as long as they are not damaged. As others have
pointed out a failure in one spoke can be pretty nasty. I wouldn't
buy
these unless I very carefully inspected them and they were really,
really, really cheap.
Alex