need advice on a decent road bike

linck

Dec 31, 2006
ok so I bought a cheap bike for 150 dollars. I have currently a 800 dollar budget what's a good bike for the price. interested in getting into racing. so I need a fast bike that will keep me competitive for about 800 what the word

linck said:
ok so I bought a cheap bike for 150 dollars. I have currently a 800 dollar budget what's a good bike for the price. interested in getting into racing. so I need a fast bike that will keep me competitive for about 800 what the word
Suggest you consider a higher-end used bike. The one I bought last year retailed for $5600US or so new, all carbon, with high-end components:

Aegis Aro Svelte frame (2002)
Dura Ace 9 gruppo (53-39/12-27)
Thompson Elite seatpost & stem
Chris King headset
Mavic CXP33 rims /D-A Hubs
Easton EC90 bar
Look KeO pedals
Conti GP400 tires/Conti tubes
Selle San Marco Strada saddle
Cuissi btl cages

I paid $1,275US

Similarly, two of my sons have bought used in the past two years. One got a Scott CR-1 w/ 105 10-spd gruppo for around $1,500, and the other a nicely tricked out Jamis for $800.

Found all 3 of the bikes on eBay, two from local sellers, which is nice because you can actually inspect & ride the bike before you complete the sale; plus you know the seller is in posession of the bike and (presumably) is the lawful owner. Plus with local seller there's no shipping charge; cash & carry.

Just a thought for you to consider. Otherwise, the Trek 1000 is a decent cheap bike for about $600US, though some have complained about the no-name brakes; my #4 son has one of these and likes it very much. I am surprised how light it is every time I pick it up. You could use the extra $200 at time of purchase to upgrade the wheels from Alexrims AT450 to something better.

Check out pricepoint.com
Full alum bike with altegra 10 groupo for $1000...a good deal.

linck said:

I would endorse the idea of looking into a used one. Last year for 800 usd I picked up a Carbon Frame Trek, Ultegra components, in mint condition. The more diligent about looking you are the better chance you have of getting what you want. It sounds like you are not picky, that is a big plus in getting a used one.

to hell with computer sites.your best bet is your local bike shop. they can help you the best.dont be like most of the dopes who used to come to our shop,check out our inventory then buy some junk on ebay or something.give the guys iin your local shop a chance. in most cases they will go out of their way to help you out.you'll be glad you did!lets keep our local shops going.it sucks when they go out of biz.

linck said:
DSC01319.jpg

"06 Trek 1000
well under $800

roll on said:
to hell with computer sites.your best bet is your local bike shop. they can help you the best.dont be like most of the dopes who used to come to our shop,check out our inventory then buy some junk on ebay or something.give the guys iin your local shop a chance. in most cases they will go out of their way to help you out.you'll be glad you did!lets keep our local shops going.it sucks when they go out of biz.
Amen!

give them a chance. most will do all they can to deal for you. plus you get the support after the sale.

roll on said:
yeah some dopes who serve overseas have to buy junk on eBay because there's just no other way to get it locally. :)

Nashbar.com hasn't let me down yet.

ieandro said:
yeah some dopes who serve overseas have to buy junk on eBay because there's just no other way to get it locally. :)

Nashbar.com hasn't let me down yet.
you know, some of the troops who work for me just got back from Iraq, and i don't consider them dopes. if you want to shill for nashbar, ok, but watch out where you throw the names. i doubt if i or my guys will by from nashbar after that crack. no lbs in korea? give me a break.

umatillarider said:
you know, some of the troops who work for me just got back from Iraq, and i don't consider them dopes. if you want to shill for nashbar, ok, but watch out where you throw the names. i doubt if i or my guys will by from nashbar after that crack. no lbs in korea? give me a break.
Obviously that joke was meant for me. But since some people are too sensitive ... I'll explain.
I use mailorder since it's easier than hunting locally for my parts. You're right, there is an LBS here locally and a couple more in Seoul which is an hour away. Too bad they don't carry any spare parts for road bikes or have the means to get one. Trust me I've tried. For the amount of money trying to hunt for parts, I could have easily covered shipping with mailorder.

Oh yeah .. after serving two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, I still consider myself a dope. It's a $hi+ deal, but I take it with humor.

You don't have to buy from nashbar. There's tons more places which ship APO. Hell, even competitivecyclist.com and racycles.com acually give you a discount for serving. I don't recall my LBS in my hometown giving me that.
It just goes to show that you use what resources are available to you. I'm not going to support an LBS that doesn't support my needs. :)

I certainly do not consider you a dope, and I am sensitive probably because of a certain amount of protectiveness towards the veterans who work for me. I did two tours in vietnam way back, and am still working for the gov. the Colonel here has one of those army issued bikes, i think it is a trek, but can't tell under the od paint.

anyway, i am blessed with a great lbs, and do consider myself lucky. if there is anything i can get for you just email me and i will do what i can.

take care and thankyou for your service.

hi guys, i recently went out of biz after 7 years of bike touring ,rentals and retail, repair the whole 9 yards. thats why i have very little use for computer sites. a wall mart came to the next town over .thats ok . i paid alot of bills repairing that junk. when you get all the bike experts, and everyone you meet has been "racing for years"? ..you know the same ol'****. you get a lot of "experts" coming in with the stuff they just got on nashbar or some other site and get ****** when you add an extra 10 bucks to the bill to install or whatever it is they need. i support any and all independant bike shops.even though i've been to some ",because of the i'm too cool" attitude of some of the shop people.( i got to laugh, they dont know i'm a veteren bike mechanic) i would'nt spend a dime there. if you find a good one, the people who work there most likley love it and want you to share the same experience. the best is when some one comes in thats new to this.they buy a bike. whatever is is and you can see you created a monster.that is someone who will really enjoy ther riding and want more!!!!happy trails and good luck ....see you on the road