Need advice on a road bike/ Hybrid

DALAZ68

Apr 18, 2011
so im trying to get into the whole bike deal, i have roughly 500.00 for this...im new to riding, decided after loosing some significant weight that riding a bike is next step to keep my exercise fresh and not boring...

pretty much ive gotten to ride some friends bikes, and i like the whole road tires with handles that let me stay upright with nice big seat...so i was told that pretty much considered hybrid, which is pretty much what im asking as far as they go, could i buy a decent/good. quality bike for that price, thats also light, what brand names should i look for?

i also like the large tires that are the size of mountain bikes but are smooth like the tiny skinny ones...as you can tell, i know nothing...

any help is greatly appreciated, this bike will mainly be for just riding from work to home, or night time or morning time rides with friends...

would it be better for me to just buy a used bike and convert...i have an old GT mountain bike, but the shear weight of the damn keeps me from pulling the trigger to actual fixe it back up...and all the work it need, it would need to be brought back to bare frame and rims, and everything replaced...