Need Advice on Adjusting Chain Length

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace' started by [email protected], Apr 16, 2005.

  1. I have recently changed the chain on my MTB and wondered if there are
    any good online instructions for properly sizing the chain. It is a
    SRAM PC-99 9 Speed chain. The instructions with the chain referred to
    the SRAM Link Pliers. I have a Rivoli Mk.2 tool.

    Tags:

  2. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    If you're asking about how many links to use, I've always found this
    sizing method to be best (courtesy of Sheldon Brown). Wrap the chain
    around the big chainring and the big cassette cog (do not thread
    through derailleur) and add 1 inch (one complete link).

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

  4. John Verheul

    John Verheul Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have recently changed the chain on my MTB and wondered if there are
    > any good online instructions for properly sizing the chain. It is a
    > SRAM PC-99 9 Speed chain. The instructions with the chain referred to
    > the SRAM Link Pliers. I have a Rivoli Mk.2 tool.

    At first I thought this was a chain length question, but the references to
    tools makes me think it's more about how to actually break and reconnect a
    chain with a master link(?).

    Besides the parktool.com reference and sheldonbrown.com, you may also want
    to look through the rec.bicycles FAQ at
    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html. Specifically, scroll down to
    the tech section on chains.

    If you still can't find what you need with those 3 resources, then it
    doesn't exist.

    Ha, just kidding! Well, not really. But if you still have trouble then ask
    on rec.bicycles.tech.