Need Advice on Adjusting Chain Length

I have recently changed the chain on my MTB and wondered if there are
any good online instructions for properly sizing the chain. It is a
SRAM PC-99 9 Speed chain. The instructions with the chain referred to
the SRAM Link Pliers. I have a Rivoli Mk.2 tool.

If you're asking about how many links to use, I've always found this
sizing method to be best (courtesy of Sheldon Brown). Wrap the chain
around the big chainring and the big cassette cog (do not thread
through derailleur) and add 1 inch (one complete link).

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have recently changed the chain on my MTB and wondered if there are
> any good online instructions for properly sizing the chain. It is a
> SRAM PC-99 9 Speed chain. The instructions with the chain referred to
> the SRAM Link Pliers. I have a Rivoli Mk.2 tool.

At first I thought this was a chain length question, but the references to
tools makes me think it's more about how to actually break and reconnect a
chain with a master link(?).

Besides the parktool.com reference and sheldonbrown.com, you may also want
to look through the rec.bicycles FAQ at
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html. Specifically, scroll down to
the tech section on chains.

If you still can't find what you need with those 3 resources, then it
doesn't exist.

Ha, just kidding! Well, not really. But if you still have trouble then ask
on rec.bicycles.tech.