Need advice on beginner road bike

This is the first complaint I've heard from Bikes Direct and that's from many forums where some have purchased their bikes. But the web site does say the following:

Q: I found an error on the site (Price/spec/etc)
A: If an error is noticed prior to placing an order, we appreciate the information and will make the correction. This site is maintained and created by humans and we sometimes err. We may even send you a surprise gift if you were the first to notice the error or if the error was especially funny.

In the bicycle industry, suppliers and factories sometimes change specs without notice and state that they are "subject to change without notice". This is because bicycles are made from hundreds of parts which come from dozens of vendors. Parts are sometimes updated to the most current production generation/iteration one gets better or more current parts or a comparable part. For example, 12-25 instead of 11-25T cassette or 52T chainring instead of 53T ring.
We attempt to be as accurate as possible and eliminate errors on the Site; however, we do not warrant that any product, service, description, photograph, pricing or other information is accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. In the event of an error, whether on the Site, in an order confirmation, in processing an order, delivering a product or service or otherwise, we reserve the right to correct such error and revise your order accordingly if necessary (including charging the correct price) or to cancel the order and refund any amount charged. Your sole remedy in the event of such error is to cancel your order and obtain a refund.

Note the last statement: Your sole remedy in the event of such error is to cancel the order and obtain a refund.

Regardless, a bike for a hairs width under $400 spec'd like it is seems like a good deal, but at least try to get info on the rims, they may be a better grade of rim just the rim company kept their name off.

But if your still not satisfied then their escape clause for you is this:

Q: What if I am not happy with the bike I choose or want to return or exchange it?
A: We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. (www.bikesdirect.com/money.htm) If you are not satisfied with the bike, let us know about it before returning it, often a simple adjustment is all that is needed. If you want to exchange it, you will need to return it within 30 days, in as-new condition and packed as you received it, then you would order the other bike. Please contact us for return instructions.

Bikes Direct is usually a good deal, but if you google "Bikes Direct Reviews", there are a couple of real horror stories. Now these may have been disgruntled customers, but I do know one guy personally who had a little trouble with them due to their lack of post purchase support. Oh, and now here is bikenoobie with his situation.

Originally Posted by Froze .

This is the first complaint I've heard from Bikes Direct and that's from many forums where some have purchased their bikes. But the web site does say the following:

Q: I found an error on the site (Price/spec/etc)
A: If an error is noticed prior to placing an order, we appreciate the information and will make the correction. This site is maintained and created by humans and we sometimes err. We may even send you a surprise gift if you were the first to notice the error or if the error was especially funny.

In the bicycle industry, suppliers and factories sometimes change specs without notice and state that they are "subject to change without notice". This is because bicycles are made from hundreds of parts which come from dozens of vendors. Parts are sometimes updated to the most current production generation/iteration one gets better or more current parts or a comparable part. For example, 12-25 instead of 11-25T cassette or 52T chainring instead of 53T ring.
We attempt to be as accurate as possible and eliminate errors on the Site; however, we do not warrant that any product, service, description, photograph, pricing or other information is accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. In the event of an error, whether on the Site, in an order confirmation, in processing an order, delivering a product or service or otherwise, we reserve the right to correct such error and revise your order accordingly if necessary (including charging the correct price) or to cancel the order and refund any amount charged. Your sole remedy in the event of such error is to cancel your order and obtain a refund.

Note the last statement: Your sole remedy in the event of such error is to cancel the order and obtain a refund.

Regardless, a bike for a hairs width under $400 spec'd like it is seems like a good deal, but at least try to get info on the rims, they may be a better grade of rim just the rim company kept their name off.

But if your still not satisfied then their escape clause for you is this:

Q: What if I am not happy with the bike I choose or want to return or exchange it?
A: We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. (www.bikesdirect.com/money.htm) If you are not satisfied with the bike, let us know about it before returning it, often a simple adjustment is all that is needed. If you want to exchange it, you will need to return it within 30 days, in as-new condition and packed as you received it, then you would order the other bike. Please contact us for return instructions.

How many bikes have you actually purchased yourself from bikesdirect?

Originally Posted by 64Paramount .

How many bikes have you actually purchased yourself from bikesdirect?
NONE!! But I do have my eye on one of the TI road bikes which I plan on getting later this year. But I have heard on numerous forums from many people who have purchased bikes from there that they all had positive experience and would not hesitate to buy another from there. Only one other forum member at a different forum had an issue with a frame that cracked at the rear stay and Bikes Direct replaced it without a problem under the warranty. I would not hesitate to buy a bike from there considering all the positive reports I've read, otherwise I would never consider them. I'm not so sure if the lower end bikes they have are all that great, but the one that broke was a lower end and was replaced. But the higher end Motobecane TI bikes got rave reviews from Bicycling and other sources for their quality of their frame, components, and ride quality and yet being the lowest cost TI bike on the market not made in China!

How did this turn out for you? I am thinking about getting the Wellington 3.0 because it seems like the best of the bikes at that price range (better components based on my very limited understanding of what everything is). Did they fix the issues you had?