Need advice on bike and price please

tiktak

Guest
for the experts on mtbs and prices around here.. on scale 1 to 10, how good
a deal is this..

schwinn s-20 (year 2000)... back derr LX, front derr alivio, not sure about
crankset.... either lx or alivio.... AVID quick shifters.. rock shox
dexluxe in the back (oil) and rock shox indy xc front (oil?). medium frame,
hope fits my 5"11... not sure about scratches... guy gives frame and 8 on
10.

here is a quick pic.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/picturebig.jpg

I'd absolutely love to hear whether this is worth picking up for roughly
$320US.

thanks!!

--
<Please remove the spam protection if emailing me through newsgroups>

tiktak wrote:
> for the experts on mtbs and prices around here.. on scale 1 to 10, how good
> a deal is this..
>
> schwinn s-20 (year 2000)... back derr LX, front derr alivio, not sure about
> crankset.... either lx or alivio.... AVID quick shifters.. rock shox
> dexluxe in the back (oil) and rock shox indy xc front (oil?). medium frame,
> hope fits my 5"11... not sure about scratches... guy gives frame and 8 on
> 10.
>
> here is a quick pic.
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/picturebig.jpg
>
> I'd absolutely love to hear whether this is worth picking up for roughly
> $320US.
>
> thanks!!

I'd offer him $50 and he's still making a killing. It's an old bike
with old technology and low-end components. Not worth it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

--
<Please remove the spam protection if emailing me through newsgroups>

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tiktak wrote:
>> for the experts on mtbs and prices around here.. on scale 1 to 10, how
>> good a deal is this..
>>
>> schwinn s-20 (year 2000)... back derr LX, front derr alivio, not sure
>> about crankset.... either lx or alivio.... AVID quick shifters.. rock
>> shox dexluxe in the back (oil) and rock shox indy xc front (oil?).
>> medium frame, hope fits my 5"11... not sure about scratches... guy gives
>> frame and 8 on 10.
>>
>> here is a quick pic.
>> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/picturebig.jpg
>>
>> I'd absolutely love to hear whether this is worth picking up for roughly
>> $320US.
>>
>> thanks!!
>>

> I'd offer him $50 and he's still making a killing. It's an old bike with
> old technology and low-end components. Not worth it.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

wow!
not sure if I should laugh or cry.. but I do know if I offer him $50 for
it... then he WILL laugh at me.

I wish life was this simple! I believe ya don't get me wrong... but he
never will hehehhe

thanks! :)

thanks

tiktak wrote:

> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> tiktak wrote:
>>> for the experts on mtbs and prices around here.. on scale 1 to 10,
>>> how good a deal is this..
>>>
>>> schwinn s-20 (year 2000)... back derr LX, front derr alivio, not
>>> sure about crankset.... either lx or alivio.... AVID quick
>>> shifters.. rock shox dexluxe in the back (oil) and rock shox indy
>>> xc front (oil?). medium frame, hope fits my 5"11... not sure about
>>> scratches... guy gives frame and 8 on 10.
>>>
>>> here is a quick pic.
>>> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/picturebig.jpg
>>>
>>> I'd absolutely love to hear whether this is worth picking up for
>>> roughly $320US.
>>>
>>> thanks!!
>>>

>> I'd offer him $50 and he's still making a killing. It's an old bike
>> with old technology and low-end components. Not worth it.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws

> wow!
> not sure if I should laugh or cry.. but I do know if I offer him $50
> for it... then he WILL laugh at me.
>
> I wish life was this simple! I believe ya don't get me wrong... but
> he never will hehehhe

Go to a few bike shops and look around. Do you really need (full)
suspension? Why not spend a bit more and get a brand new bike with modern
parts and people to support it (warranty, tuneups, etc.)?

Bill S.

tiktak wrote:
> for the experts on mtbs and prices around here.. on scale 1 to 10, how good
> a deal is this..
>
> schwinn s-20 (year 2000)... back derr LX, front derr alivio, not sure about
> crankset.... either lx or alivio.... AVID quick shifters.. rock shox
> dexluxe in the back (oil) and rock shox indy xc front (oil?). medium frame,
> hope fits my 5"11... not sure about scratches... guy gives frame and 8 on
> 10.
>
> here is a quick pic.
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/picturebig.jpg
>
> I'd absolutely love to hear whether this is worth picking up for roughly
> $320US.
>
> thanks!!

I bet you'd be a better fit on a large. I wouldn't buy it without riding it.

Matt

tiktak wrote:
> for the experts on mtbs and prices around here.. on scale 1 to 10, how good
> a deal is this..
>
> schwinn s-20 (year 2000)... back derr LX, front derr alivio, not sure about
> crankset.... either lx or alivio.... AVID quick shifters.. rock shox
> dexluxe in the back (oil) and rock shox indy xc front (oil?). medium frame,
> hope fits my 5"11... not sure about scratches... guy gives frame and 8 on
> 10.
>
> here is a quick pic.
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/picturebig.jpg
>
> I'd absolutely love to hear whether this is worth picking up for roughly
> $320US.

Hmmm. Just taking a guess, I'd say offer him $200 and maybe go up a
little more if necessary. As already said, it's an old bike with old
technology that was low-endish when it was new, and now it's USED and
almost six years old. For $320 there are much better and safer buys in
the second-hand hardtail market. And you really need to ride the sucker
before buying. I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near $320 for this
sight unseen.
--
Westie

You'll probably be a little tight on that frame. But sit on it and
see. If you can't ride it first, I'd let it go. I know the older
(better Schwinn ) frames, and you're probably right on the cusp betw
med and large. If it's clean and everything works, I'd think its worth
the $300 he wants out of it. hth, fwiw. CDB

thanks for all your input! much appreciated!

after I told the guy that his alivio parts (its partly alivio) are outdated
and just not good quality to start with, the guy is now trying to squeeze
into the deal some sort of an old, slightly rusted what he claims is a very
light specialized bike with a "unique" suspension... he says its all XT
parts, so I can switch whatever I want form this bike to the schwinn.

the bike looks old, I won't show closeups of compoennts, but he sent me a
few pics and they look rusted.. don't know much about this, but logically
rusted components XT or alivio are just better avoided, am I right?

anywya, if someone has a minute to see this bike, what model is this? year?
is it really specialized? what about this unique shock he claims? he wants
an extra $60US for this bike... if I take the schwinn for like $320US.

picture is here:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/IMG_1565.jpg

thanks again for your expertize on my questions.

--
<Please remove the spam protection if emailing me through newsgroups>

news:[email protected]...

tiktak wrote:
> thanks for all your input! much appreciated!
>
> after I told the guy that his alivio parts (its partly alivio) are outdated
> and just not good quality to start with, the guy is now trying to squeeze
> into the deal some sort of an old, slightly rusted what he claims is a very
> light specialized bike with a "unique" suspension... he says its all XT
> parts, so I can switch whatever I want form this bike to the schwinn.
>
> the bike looks old, I won't show closeups of compoennts, but he sent me a
> few pics and they look rusted.. don't know much about this, but logically
> rusted components XT or alivio are just better avoided, am I right?
>
> anywya, if someone has a minute to see this bike, what model is this? year?
> is it really specialized? what about this unique shock he claims? he wants
> an extra $60US for this bike... if I take the schwinn for like $320US.
>
> picture is here:
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/IMG_1565.jpg
>
> thanks again for your expertize on my questions.

Oh my. What is that? Some kind of old Noleen fork on the front? The
rear derailleur looks like an XT, but it's a short cage and I think it
may only be seven speed. Can't tell about the front derailleur. The
cranks are not XT. They look like Suntour to me. The shifters are not
XT. They are not even Sh!tmano.

Walk away man. You can do better. As an example, this one:
http://tinyurl.com/c7bmq would be light years ahead of what you are
going to purchase. Or http://tinyurl.com/clyyb or even
http://tinyurl.com/8z2nr.

You have to look around.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

tiktak wrote:
> thanks for all your input! much appreciated!
>
> after I told the guy that his alivio parts (its partly alivio) are outdated
> and just not good quality to start with, the guy is now trying to squeeze
> into the deal some sort of an old, slightly rusted what he claims is a very
> light specialized bike with a "unique" suspension... he says its all XT
> parts, so I can switch whatever I want form this bike to the schwinn.
>
> the bike looks old, I won't show closeups of compoennts, but he sent me a
> few pics and they look rusted.. don't know much about this, but logically
> rusted components XT or alivio are just better avoided, am I right?
>
> anywya, if someone has a minute to see this bike, what model is this? year?
> is it really specialized? what about this unique shock he claims? he wants
> an extra $60US for this bike... if I take the schwinn for like $320US.
>
> picture is here:
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/IMG_1565.jpg
>
> thanks again for your expertize on my questions.
>

> --
> <Please remove the spam protection if emailing me through newsgroups>
>

> "tiktak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > for the experts on mtbs and prices around here.. on scale 1 to 10, how
> > good a deal is this..
> >
> > schwinn s-20 (year 2000)... back derr LX, front derr alivio, not sure
> > about crankset.... either lx or alivio.... AVID quick shifters.. rock
> > shox dexluxe in the back (oil) and rock shox indy xc front (oil?). medium
> > frame, hope fits my 5"11... not sure about scratches... guy gives frame
> > and 8 on 10.
> >
> > here is a quick pic.
> > http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/THE1EMA/picturebig.jpg
> >
> > I'd absolutely love to hear whether this is worth picking up for roughly
> > $320US.
> >
> > thanks!!
> >

> > --
> > <Please remove the spam protection if emailing me through newsgroups>

Take the Specialized for a ride. If it fits and works, $60 would be a
good deal.
/s

You know, don't get hypnotized so completely by the Schwinn that you
ignore the thousands of other bikes for sale out there. Great
hardtails are bought and sold on ebay every day in your price range. I
recommend you check the police auctions, school papers, pawn shops,
used bikes on consignment in bike shops, ebay, and find somebody who
knows bikes and get their help. When I got started about 14yrs ago, I
gave $300 to a good friend who knew his stuff and asked him to find me
a bike. He delivered a used Bridgestone MB-5 in beautiful shape and
had $40 left over. Better deals than that are available now.

Now that's a funky fork on the specialized. Noleen or Girvin, made a
"J" motion on compression, and it might be better than nothing, but
not by much.

Well, good luck, and remember your first bike doesn't have to be
perfect. But don't feel you have to rush into it.

CDB

tiktak wrote:
> thanks all who replied to help me!
>
> call it a bad or good deal, but I am not a proud owner of a giant atx

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a little sad, Sigmund.

> 780 all deore lx, with rockshox quadra 21, which I am thinking about
> modifying to get some more travel out of it.. someone earlier here
> mentioned there is a kit/addon for that.

Don't spend much (any) money on that shock. Beat the hell out of it and
then move on (maybe to a whole new bike).

> bike is '98-99 I think. looks in decent shape with a few scratches.
> will give it some paint and tune up and it'll be fine.
>
> I paid $180US for it. here in canada (quebec) good used bikes are
> rare. buying them used or new in a store is always more expensive
> than used deals from individuals... especially for the better
> quality bikes.
> anyway, this will be good as my first off road bike and lets hope it
> lasts me a while.
> I can sleep with the price I paid for it also.
>
> then again... if some other nice deal comes along I'll prolly bite
> anyway.... I'm not addicted to buying these... no way. hehe

Ride, rest, refuel, repeat.

BS

oops..typo. NOT=NOW

.... I am NOW a proud owner. :)

I hope it was still clear from my whole post.

well, happy riding to me. may the bike outlive ME.

hahhaha

--
<Please remove the spam protection if emailing me through newsgroups>

news:7F%[email protected]...