Need Advice on buying 1st road bike

flowerz31

Jun 22, 2005
Hi. I'm a 5'4" woman newly getting into road biking. I'll be doing a sprint triathlon this summer, but mainly want to take a bike out on longer rides for exercise. I need help figuring out which bike to buy given my limited budget.

I've test-riden a bunch of bikes (from Bianchi to Lemond to Felt, etc) and always felt like the reach was too long. I finally found a fairly comfortable fit on most of the Specialized bikes I rode (especially the WSD Dolces), perhaps due to the compact geometry. Now the trick is figuring out which is the best one for me -
1) The Dolce
2) The Dolce Vita Mulit-Sport
3) The Allez Sport

Any reviews on those bikes? I like the better componentry of the Dolce Vita mulit-sport, but am worried that it is too much of a racing bike to be comfortable for longer rides (and for a beginner road biker).

Any advice will be appreciated!

flowerz31 said:
Hi. I'm a 5'4" woman newly getting into road biking. I'll be doing a sprint triathlon this summer, but mainly want to take a bike out on longer rides for exercise. I need help figuring out which bike to buy given my limited budget.

I've test-riden a bunch of bikes (from Bianchi to Lemond to Felt, etc) and always felt like the reach was too long. I finally found a fairly comfortable fit on most of the Specialized bikes I rode (especially the WSD Dolces), perhaps due to the compact geometry. Now the trick is figuring out which is the best one for me -
1) The Dolce
2) The Dolce Vita Mulit-Sport
3) The Allez Sport

Any reviews on those bikes? I like the better componentry of the Dolce Vita mulit-sport, but am worried that it is too much of a racing bike to be comfortable for longer rides (and for a beginner road biker).

Any advice will be appreciated!
As long as you are looking at Specialized check out the Roubaix line, the selling point is more relaxed geometry for better comfort on longer rides. I am kinda partial though since I own a roubaix comp double, and absolutely love it. For its relaxed geometry it still is very fast. I saw that they were coming out with a woman's version soon. Check into the line and let me know if you have any questions I can answer [email protected].

I recommend more test rides, even possibly adjusting the set-up on the same bike and taking it out more than once...until you find the best fit. If more than one bike feels great, make the decision based on the store and the components vs. price.

Have you looked at the Giant OCR line-up? They sport compact geometry and great components for the money (I believe some, at least the OCR3 as WSD geometry).

Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's advice - The Roubaix is a bit too expensive for me, although they look like great bikes. I should try to find a bike shop that sells Giants here (bike shops are a bit scarce in middle Maine!). The shop in my town sells mostly Specialized, and I'd like to buy from them if I can, to support the local shop. But I can certainly go try out a Giant bike somewhere.

Thanks again!

flowerz31 said:
Thanks for everyone's advice - The Roubaix is a bit too expensive for me, although they look like great bikes. I should try to find a bike shop that sells Giants here (bike shops are a bit scarce in middle Maine!). The shop in my town sells mostly Specialized, and I'd like to buy from them if I can, to support the local shop. But I can certainly go try out a Giant bike somewhere.

Thanks again!
Was just following the thread and see that you are from the middle of Maine, I have a home in Damariscotta. Living in CA right now but grew up in Casco. I have a friend Jamie Wright who owns Gorham Bike and Ski in Portland. I raced mountain bikes with him for several seasons, Great guy and a very good bike shop check him out on line. He carries Giant, Felt, Lemond, Gary Fisher and more. He can most likely answer any questions you may have. The web Site is http://gorhambike.com/site/intro.cfm

Not sure where the middle of maine is for you but I was just checking out his website and lots of bikes for women and I see he is still holding some women riding session out of his Saco branch

I personally own the Allez and it is a great bike!

The only thing I will mention is that I have replaced the back wheel since I kept breaking spokes on the back wheel that came with the bike. I have heard this from others as well but it's not a big deal. The front is fine and has never broken a spoke. When I bought the bike, the store I bought it from guranteed the wheels for 2 years for me and replaced any broken spokes I had during that time for free! I just put the new wheel on last week and won't have any more problems. It's been a great bike for me so far and I love it!

Oh! I just noticed you're a 5'4" women.

I am a 5'10" 185 pound guy so you probably won't have any problems with the back spokes because I'm sure you weight a lot less than I do and won't put as much stress on the wheel

:)

The Specialized Allez is a great bike for the price and you will be very happy if you decide to go with it!

I've had an Allez for 2 years and love it. I did upgrade the saddle to fit my rear a little better and I wish the shifting components were a little higher end (Shimano Sora), but still very happy overall.

flowerz31 said:

Thanks again!
hi , i have an s works and an allez which are both compacts and im more than pleased with them , used to have conventional frames. but would sooner have a compact anyday

gurm70 said:
Was just following the thread and see that you are from the middle of Maine, I have a home in Damariscotta. Living in CA right now but grew up in Casco. I have a friend Jamie Wright who owns Gorham Bike and Ski in Portland. I raced mountain bikes with him for several seasons, Great guy and a very good bike shop check him out on line. He carries Giant, Felt, Lemond, Gary Fisher and more. He can most likely answer any questions you may have. The web Site is http://gorhambike.com/site/intro.cfm

Not sure where the middle of maine is for you but I was just checking out his website and lots of bikes for women and I see he is still holding some women riding session out of his Saco branch
Thanks -
I'm heading to Portland this weekend and will try to get over to Gorham Bike and Ski. I should at least test ride a Giant and compare it to the Specialized Bikes I've been riding. Casco is a bit far for me to go for a riding session, but I'd love to find a women's group in mid-coast Maine area.

bikenorth said:
I've had an Allez for 2 years and love it. I did upgrade the saddle to fit my rear a little better and I wish the shifting components were a little higher end (Shimano Sora), but still very happy overall.
Right now I'm leaning towards buying the Dolce (because it seems to fit me the best) - but what is holding me back is that the shifting components are Shimano Sora, whereas the other Allezs at least have Shimano Tiagra or better. Everyone says to get the bike that fits the best, but I'm still a bit leary. Maybe I just haven't found a better bike that's still in my price range that fits me. But on the other hand, this is my first road bike, and maybe going with the basic components is okay.

flowerz31 said:
Right now I'm leaning towards buying the Dolce (because it seems to fit me the best) - but what is holding me back is that the shifting components are Shimano Sora, whereas the other Allezs at least have Shimano Tiagra or better. Everyone says to get the bike that fits the best, but I'm still a bit leary. Maybe I just haven't found a better bike that's still in my price range that fits me. But on the other hand, this is my first road bike, and maybe going with the basic components is okay.

you can always upgrade the components later. But it may cost more than the actual bike itself depending on the parts...and the current price of your bike.

Have you gone through a fitting process? once you have, write down those numbers and that should make it easier for you to choose/eliminate models.

Do you have an REI store near by? they have some very nice house brands bikes at really good prices with good components.

In my own personal experiences, I would stay away from dual purposes bikes (road/tri) because to change the bike from road to tri positions is a pain. And usually it'll only fit you very well under one application but not both, though you can do both but not as great.

When test riding, be sure to check out the tire pressures/wheels/tires...it can make a huge difference in your perception of how a bike rides. I would ask that the LBS put in the same pressure on all bikes you ride...

GL