Need advice on buying bike for 360 lbs bloke

Hi all,

some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
(Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)

So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
support my weight:

Schauff Sumo (English language website)
http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.de/index.php?language=e&action=fahr...
and

Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104....

I will see the only UK dealership offering Schauff Sumo tomorrow.

Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.

Thanks,
JanMartin

P.S.:
Excuse my English, I am a German in UK.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)
>
> So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
> support my weight:
>
> Schauff Sumo (English language website)
> http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.de/index.php?language=e&action=fahr...
> and

That looks passable. The only thing I would really be concerned about
is the rear wheel. Of particular help would be to make sure that it is
trued, tensioned and stress relieved before you leave the shop. Luckily
if you do still have problems with breaking spokes, you live on the
right side of the pond to get able to get a good replacement wheel.

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/saswheels.htm

The Halo Combat wheel is available as a 48 spoke disc-brake wheel. If
you have problems something like that is what I would recommend.

> Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
> http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104....
>
> I will see the only UK dealership offering Schauff Sumo tomorrow.

Good luck.

> Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
> I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.

Well, usually the limiting factor is the wheels. Good 36 or 48 spoke
wheels are what you should be looking for. Absolutely no suspension.
Ignore anything with front or rear suspension.

In the US, the Co-Motion Americano might be a possibility. I've lusted
after one myself for a while. It's sturdy, but it's probably not what
you're looking for.

http://www.co-motion.com/Amerc.html

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:

> In the US, the Co-Motion Americano might be a possibility. I've lusted
> after one myself for a while. It's sturdy, but it's probably not what
> you're looking for.
>
> http://www.co-motion.com/Amerc.html

I have the lighter version of it, the Nor'Wester. "Maximum versatility,
precise, stable handling, and all-day comfort are what we build the Nor'Wester
for. With all its capabilities, the Nor'Wester still climbs and accelerates
like an ultra light racer." You are welcome to lust after my bike.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
>> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
>> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)

1.88 metres is 6 foot 2 inches or 6"2'. 6"17' is 6 feet and 17 inches,
which is really 7 foot 5 inches. (There are 12 inches to a foot) You would
need the front wheels off an old penny farthing on a standard bike for that
one.

> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
>>> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
>>> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)

> 1.88 metres is 6 foot 2 inches or 6"2'. 6"17' is 6 feet and 17 inches,
> which is really 7 foot 5 inches. (There are 12 inches to a foot) You would
> need the front wheels off an old penny farthing on a standard bike for
> that
> one.

P.S. And you're 28 stone,4 pounds.

Why don't you lose some weight before you buy a bike? Just go on a
diet. Stop eating anything except vegetables and water for about a
month, and I'm sure you'll be surprised at how much weight you lose.
Accept responsibility for the fact that you really screwed up by
letting yourself get so fat, and stop expecting bicycle manufacturers
to make a special bike for you and your fellow cyclists to hold your
hand and tell you everything's OK.

[email protected] wrote:
> Why don't you lose some weight before you buy a bike? Just go on a
> diet. Stop eating anything except vegetables and water for about a
> month, and I'm sure you'll be surprised at how much weight you lose.
> Accept responsibility for the fact that you really screwed up by
> letting yourself get so fat, and stop expecting bicycle manufacturers
> to make a special bike for you and your fellow cyclists to hold your
> hand and tell you everything's OK.

Give the guy a break! You don't know why he is so heavy. In my case,
it was medication. When I stopped taking it a year ago, I lost 40 lbs
over about four months. So give him the benefit of the doubt.

AND, what better way to SAFELY lose weight than a little exercise on a
bicycle? Your 'diet' would probably kill him, then he would certainly
"be surprised at how much weight you lose".

Maybe you're just a troll trying to stir trouble. If so, crawl back
under your rock and leave this guy alone.

Arlie

[email protected] wrote:

> Why don't you lose some weight before you buy a bike? Just go on a
> diet. Stop eating anything except vegetables and water for about a
> month, and I'm sure you'll be surprised at how much weight you lose.
> Accept responsibility for the fact that you really screwed up by
> letting yourself get so fat, and stop expecting bicycle manufacturers
> to make a special bike for you and your fellow cyclists to hold your
> hand and tell you everything's OK.

To whom are you replying?

--
Mike

Everytime I pick up a magazine about bicycling they always have an
article about some utopian idea about people riding more and driving
less. A true biking society. Well let me tell ya..it aint about some
sharing the road campiagn. It aint gonna happen unless bike makers stop
preaching to the choir and start catering more towards the general
population. And in America that also includes the large percentage of
obese people. Folson you should encourage big folk to add riding to
their fitness plans not beat them over their heads with your crappy
attitude. I bet you could be a real good source of informaton for biking
and fitness if you weren't so insistent on coming off as a *****.
I've lost a very slow 40 lbs since last year. Down to 400lbs. I'm dying
to get back on a bike that doesnt impale me on the seat. I grew up ridng
bikes. I miss it terribly. My family and I have made lifestyle changes
and I dream about going on bike rides with them. I bought a Trek comfort
a while back but the total upright riding position was the last thing I
needed. I'd pay good money for a bike that could put me back on the
road.

Big Mike.

On Mon, 15 May 2006 01:24:15 -0500, [email protected] (big mike)
wrote:

>Everytime I pick up a magazine about bicycling they always have an
>article about some utopian idea about people riding more and driving
>less. A true biking society. Well let me tell ya..it aint about some
>sharing the road campiagn. It aint gonna happen unless bike makers stop
>preaching to the choir and start catering more towards the general
>population. And in America that also includes the large percentage of
>obese people. Folson you should encourage big folk to add riding to
>their fitness plans not beat them over their heads with your crappy
>attitude. I bet you could be a real good source of informaton for biking
>and fitness if you weren't so insistent on coming off as a *****.
>I've lost a very slow 40 lbs since last year. Down to 400lbs. I'm dying
>to get back on a bike that doesnt impale me on the seat. I grew up ridng
>bikes. I miss it terribly. My family and I have made lifestyle changes
>and I dream about going on bike rides with them. I bought a Trek comfort
>a while back but the total upright riding position was the last thing I
>needed. I'd pay good money for a bike that could put me back on the
>road.
>
>Big Mike.

Hi Big Mike.

I think you guys should consider a recumbent trike. I'll ask over at
ARBR and post a link to one or more of the stronger versions. I'm
pretty sure the one Jeff Gripe used to ride is available in a very
heavy duty version.

Indiana Mike

Still playing "kill the messenger", huh? So you're mad at ME for
pointing out that perhaps you shouldn't have let yourself get up to 440
lbs.? Yes, the truth hurts, doesn't it? Let me ask you this: why are
those of us who also tend to gain weight, but carefully watch our diets
and ride our bikes a lot in order to keep our weight down, supposed to
feel sorry for you? Why would you expect us to hold your hand, be your
"mommy" and tell you everything's going to be all right? The fact of
the matter is, you just don't want to accept responsibility for the
fact that you really screwed up by gaining so much weight, and now
you're looking around for someone else to blame. "Gee, it must be the
bicycle manufacturers' fault that I'm fat because they don't make a
bicycle from steel girders and with steel automotive wheels!" "Golly,
it's the fault of those other cyclists that I'm fat because they don't
give me enough encouragement to lose my morbid obesity!" Give me a
break! Bicycle manufacturers simply aren't going to make a bicycle for
a person as fat as you are because (and I know you may find this hard
to believe) THERE AREN'T THAT MANY MORBIDLY OBESE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO
RIDE A BICYCLE and because IT ISN'T THEIR PROBLEM THAT YOU'RE SO FAT!
Quit whining and sniveling and just go on a diet. The rest of the
world is not responsible for the fact that you were too fat to push
yourself away from the dinner table. And quit playing "kill the
messenger"! Every time you try to run that **** on me, I'm going to
remind you what a worthless piece of garbage you are to have let
yourself get so morbidly obese. It's about time you faced that fact.
I'm just not going to play your games, and I don't want to read your
kvetching on this newsgroup.

Here's the URL forAmerican Tricruisers. There is a link to e-mail the
builder, I am pretty confident he can build one strong enough for
anyone.

Indiana Mike

On Mon, 15 May 2006 23:48:07 GMT, Mike Rice <[email protected]> wrote:

>Here's the URL forAmerican Tricruisers. There is a link to e-mail the
>builder, I am pretty confident he can build one strong enough for
>anyone.
>
>Indiana Mike

Oops! Here's that URL:

http://www.americruiser.com/

Indiana Mike

First of all Forston I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me. Bike
company's are in the business of making money. I'm merely pointing out
that there are thousands upon thousands of clinically obese people
trying to make lifestyle changes. I work out 4 times a week at a gym.
The last 5 years many people are trying to become healthier and obese
people are no different. But to expect people to loose 100 lbs before
buying a bike is simply not realistic.
At our local high school with 2000 students I noticed there are about
seven bikes in the bike rack and there are about 500 plus students who
drive to school. Outside of the spandex wearing riders on their road
bikes the only time most adults and teens ride are those pre planned
family rides where the adults are suited up in helmets and elbow pads
for those stiff looking rides along local bike paths. My point is that
bicycles for the general public has become an ignored, irrelevant form
of transportation. By ignoring the overweight, obese and others
bicycle manufactures are missing out on a huge market . Its all about
money in the end. And for all of you the more people riding bikes the
better it is for all bicycle enthusiasts. I'm not asking for any favors.
I want an equal exchange. Someone makes something I need, like a
suitable bike for my build. I pay hard earned money to own and ride it.
It's called commerce. Happens all the time in this world.

And please stop the nonsense propaganda about overweight people not
wanting to ride bikes or work out. Your bigoted hatred of fat people is
dully noted.

um, so where is the "line of death"?

Is it an impish 150 lbs, regardless of the height of the person?
Is it some spline based upon uranium miners back in teh 50s?
What about people with too low of an overall body fat taht wreck their
joints?

You may have had somewhat of a valid point, but you hung a right
straight over to Trollvile.

If you're reaching for the "caps lock" key, perhaps you should just
click elsewhere instead.

-bdbafh

Keep working at it, dude.

I weighed 390 lbs. about 14 years ago. I have dropped a LOT of weight.
However, I bought a road bike about 2 years ago, when I weighed 260 lbs. and
have noticed a huge change in not only stamina but enjoyment now that I
weigh 220. I expect it to only get better as I drop more weight..

Hang in there and don't let the bastards get you down.

"big mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First of all Forston I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me. Bike
> company's are in the business of making money. I'm merely pointing out
> that there are thousands upon thousands of clinically obese people
> trying to make lifestyle changes. I work out 4 times a week at a gym.
> The last 5 years many people are trying to become healthier and obese
> people are no different. But to expect people to loose 100 lbs before
> buying a bike is simply not realistic.
> At our local high school with 2000 students I noticed there are about
> seven bikes in the bike rack and there are about 500 plus students who
> drive to school. Outside of the spandex wearing riders on their road
> bikes the only time most adults and teens ride are those pre planned
> family rides where the adults are suited up in helmets and elbow pads
> for those stiff looking rides along local bike paths. My point is that
> bicycles for the general public has become an ignored, irrelevant form
> of transportation. By ignoring the overweight, obese and others
> bicycle manufactures are missing out on a huge market . Its all about
> money in the end. And for all of you the more people riding bikes the
> better it is for all bicycle enthusiasts. I'm not asking for any favors.
> I want an equal exchange. Someone makes something I need, like a
> suitable bike for my build. I pay hard earned money to own and ride it.
> It's called commerce. Happens all the time in this world.
>
> And please stop the nonsense propaganda about overweight people not
> wanting to ride bikes or work out. Your bigoted hatred of fat people is
> dully noted.

Great post. Everybody, even us fat guys, need some encouragement.

I bought my bike when I was at 290lbs. None of the LBS had a problem
with that, why should anyone else?

BTW, my bike is just a normal road bike, nothing special for my extra
weight, and nothing has broken yet.

Arlie

Kris Osborn wrote:
> Keep working at it, dude.
>
> I weighed 390 lbs. about 14 years ago. I have dropped a LOT of weight.
> However, I bought a road bike about 2 years ago, when I weighed 260 lbs. and
> have noticed a huge change in not only stamina but enjoyment now that I
> weigh 220. I expect it to only get better as I drop more weight..

You have to start somewhere. You read some pretty amazing success
stories here. Not everyone weighs 160 lbs. Many of us lost weight
after starting cycling and do it to help us keep it off and stay
motivated not to get back into bad eating habits.

Please note that Forston is a TROLL. He happily dispenses his
particular viewpoints in a variety of newsgroups (and perhaps in his
entire life - who knows?)

Some folks get their egos built by putting other's down. Check out
this post of his in another newsgroup. (Just check his "profile" and
you can see moreof his posts)

"I hate gays! Why don't they go back in the closet and quit trying to
foist off their disgusting, unhealthy, . . . . "

So, save your energy and just ignore. Newsgroups are full of trolls.
The best thing is to not feed them, for they live on your reaction to
them.

BTW, congratulations on your efforts at losing weight. You have made a
choice at this point in your life to get your health in better shape.
Good for you. Get that bicycle and start riding. Bicycling Magazine
had a recent article about a person about your weight and how they were
using bicycling to get better health. KEEP IT UP and keep sharing your
thoughts here.

Lots of folks are rooting for you.