Need advice on buying v-brake set

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?F=F6rster_vom_Silberwald?=

Guest
Hello:

I would like to upgrade my Deore v-brake system and my Tektro v-brake
levers.

I ride around 7000 to 10000 kilometers per year. The Deore v-brake is
very reliable, though, braking power is zero.

My set-up is a Schwinn Moab 2 with Shimano Deore all over the
mountainbike.

I am now at the point where I will have to decide between the following
two sets:

a) SRAM 5.0 v-brakes

b) the following set from Radius on ebay: V-BRAKE SET MTB COMPLETE
FRONT & REAR W/LEVER"RADIUS"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7171627738&category=27949&rd=1

However, the Radius v-brake set looks great. But I am not sure whether
it will be a good deal. The seller on ebay told me he will refund money
just in case I will not like it. However, what makes me wondering: I do
not see any springs (on the images) along the Radius v-brake arms.

Are the Radius v-brakes a toy when compared to SRAM v-brakes? Are the
Radius v-brakes better placed on a commuter bike than on a
mountainbike?

I have often seen very cheap v-brake systems where there were only a
"hidden" spring and not the one extended as we know it from Shimano
v-brakes.

In all the years since I own mountainbike I was never impressed by
Shimano braking power if there is (allegedly) any at all.

Thanks for any pointers,
Schneewittchen
PS: Is there any site available which will tell me more on Radius or
Rädius v-brakes? Haven't found anything useful on the net.

"Förster vom Silberwald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]

Get Avid. If not, SRAM will do.

Förster vom Silberwald wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I would like to upgrade my Deore v-brake system and my Tektro v-brake
> levers.
>
> I ride around 7000 to 10000 kilometers per year. The Deore v-brake is
> very reliable, though, braking power is zero.

All you have to do is put new brake pads (Kool Stop makes good ones)
and brake cables and housing on your bike. The Deore brakes you have
now are better than the others you mentioned.

-Vee

> Hello:
>
> I would like to upgrade my Deore v-brake system and my Tektro v-brake
> levers.

I'll second the vote for Avid.

I don't know what it was about the XT v-brakes, but I could not get the
front to stop squealing! I toed them in at all kind of angels, I toed
them out at all types of angles, I tried every brake pad I could find -
I probably spent $40 on brake pads. I sanded the rims, I sanded the
pads. I spent 2 summers with squealing brakes, Nothing worked.

I bought a pair of Avid Single-Digit 7's and haven't heard a peep since.
Good, strong feeling to the brakes. Not mushy like some of the others I
have tried.

"Vee" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Förster vom Silberwald wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I would like to upgrade my Deore v-brake system and my Tektro v-brake
>> levers.
>>
>> I ride around 7000 to 10000 kilometers per year. The Deore v-brake is
>> very reliable, though, braking power is zero.

>All you have to do is put new brake pads (Kool Stop makes good ones)
>and brake cables and housing on your bike. The Deore brakes you have
>now are better than the others you mentioned.
>
>-Vee

I second the idea that Deore brakes work well. I switched front brakes
from XT to Deore because of incurable brake squeal. Both were fitted
with Kool Stop brake shoes. Stopping power with the Deore + Kool Stop
combination is fine. I changed cables on principle, but not the housing.

--
Ned Mantei
Zurich, Switzerland

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>Hello:
>I would like to upgrade my Deore v-brake system and my Tektro v-brake
>levers.
>I ride around 7000 to 10000 kilometers per year. The Deore v-brake is
>very reliable, though, braking power is zero.

what brake shoes are you using? They can make a huge difference in braking
performanc. A lot cheap to replace them than the brakes.
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...