Need advice on component compatability

Ramraid

Apr 21, 2006
Hi all. New to bikes just purchased s/h a bike with a low bottom bracket (175 cranks) 65 mm from pedal to ground its a bit low. So 170 cranks in order + a longer fork.I also have 9 speed ultegra brakes and cluster +front and rear derrailluers to go on. So will a campy 10 speed crank and chain rings fit or do i need to find Ultegra 9 speed The ultegra cluster is a hyper glide is this something special that needs matching components to work correctly?Hope u ppz can help coz the lbs's here have never heard of different fork lengths and that a old 853 frame dosen't need decent gear on it( makes ya wonder think i will go outa town to have the rear wheel built)

65mm is a bit low (all of mine are about 90mm to the centre of the pedal spindle), but is it worth the expense of changing cranks, just to save 5mm...?
Longer forks – well, you might find some longer than what you've got, but bear in mind the extra length will probably come from mudguard clearance so your existing front brake probably won't reach any more...
All in all I wouldn't bother - just take care pedalling round sharp corners...
AFAIK you can use a 10spd Campag chainset with 9spd (Campag or shimano), but need to fit small spacers to push the rings slightly further apart. The spacers are available from Campagnolo.

Thanks Eastway thats good news about the campy. About the brake clearance with a new fork thats what the lbs said but from what i can find on the web a fork is measured from the point it goes into the headset to the centre of axle so the brake mounting position should not be affected ( hopefully ??) but not sure about that. i think that the mounting position for brakes will just vary from manufacturer

Ramraid said:
Thanks Eastway thats good news about the campy. About the brake clearance with a new fork thats what the lbs said but from what i can find on the web a fork is measured from the point it goes into the headset to the centre of axle so the brake mounting position should not be affected ( hopefully ??) but not sure about that. i think that the mounting position for brakes will just vary from manufacturer

Think about it a minute - where's any extra fork length going to come from? The brake mounts just under the bottom headset race, and the wheel diameter is fixed. Any extra lenght of fork is going to be between the brake mounting and the dropouts/wheel mounting. Get a pair of forks with larger clearances and you will probably find that when you put your brakes on, the pads'll hit the tyre instead of the rim, and you won't have enough adjustment to get them right.