Need advice on conversion, chain pitch, flat bar, blah blah

poopsie

Jan 30, 2008
Hey All,

Here's my thought.

I have a nice aluminum Cannondale that I want to turn into a flatbar single speed...sort of. I like the idea of putting a single ring on the front, but I'd like to be able to use all of my 10 Campy gears on the back.

How can I use a track ring on the front (like a 47), while still using the narrow sprockets on the rear? Is there a chain that will work with that setup?

THANKS!!!!

poopsie said:
Hey All,

Here's my thought.

I have a nice aluminum Cannondale that I want to turn into a flatbar single speed...sort of. I like the idea of putting a single ring on the front, but I'd like to be able to use all of my 10 Campy gears on the back.

How can I use a track ring on the front (like a 47), while still using the narrow sprockets on the rear? Is there a chain that will work with that setup?

THANKS!!!!
Probably not. The 10-speed chain will be too narrow to mesh over the track chainring.

poopsie said:
Hey All,

Here's my thought.

THANKS!!!!
Why bother using a track ring? just use a normal chain ring then you can use a normal pitch chain otherwise a track chain wont work with your sprockets. You will have to leave the chainwheel on the inside of the crank arm to use all 10 gears and it will still be tight.

Maybe if I found a small outer ring - does Campy make them in a 50?

I guess I could throw a bar-end shifter on the end of the bullhorns...hmmm...

poopsie said:
Maybe if I found a small outer ring - does Campy make them in a 50?

I guess I could throw a bar-end shifter on the end of the bullhorns...hmmm...
Campag will do a wide range of rings 47, 48 and 50 are quite common. However i would actually look at TA, Stronglight or Miche all of whom will do rings that fit, Stronglight have practially every combo possible. I dont actually know if they are available but maybe you could look at reducing to 9 speed and using a grip shift if your going for flat bars. i recently made a freind a 7 speed in this manner and it was sweet and looked very clean.

poopsie said:
Hey All,

Here's my thought.

THANKS!!!!

A track ring(1/8 inch) requires a track type(also 1/8inch) chain. Get a road pitch ring, any that will match the crank and then use a 10s chain, for 10s cogs.