Need advice on making a bike decision!

hilljunkie

Sep 27, 2004
:confused: I going to buy a new bike and I am wondering how much of a difference does a carbon fork make? Basically i'm looking at two similarly priced bikes one is the Giant TCR 3 and the other was assembled in a small shop that has a good reputation amongst local cyclist. The frame on each is the more or less quite similiar and both have the usual shimano ultegra components for this price ranged bike. The one major diff is the carbon fork on the bike in the small shop.
So my question is this: If the bike frames and components are quite similiar and both bikes weight about the same - the Giant is 9.3 and other 9.1 KG- will the carbon fork make much of a noticeable difference?

hilljunkie said:
:confused: I going to buy a new bike and I am wondering how much of a difference does a carbon fork make? Basically i'm looking at two similarly priced bikes one is the Giant TCR 3 and the other was assembled in a small shop that has a good reputation amongst local cyclist. The frame on each is the more or less quite similiar and both have the usual shimano ultegra components for this price ranged bike. The one major diff is the carbon fork on the bike in the small shop.
So my question is this: If the bike frames and components are quite similiar and both bikes weight about the same - the Giant is 9.3 and other 9.1 KG- will the carbon fork make much of a noticeable difference?
It depedns on what the 'other' fork is.

Personally, not to dis your local bike builder but he is up against a formidable R&D "team" of engineers that develops every name brand bike model including the Giant TCR3. Unless you are looking for a custom bike for a reason..you mention the bikes are very close in content, I would purchase the Giant. You may or may not be able to feel a difference in having the carbon fork you speak of. In theory you should get a slightly better ride and shed a few grams with a carbon fork but a fork should not be the determinant of which bike you choose.
HTH,
George

Thanks for the feedback. I think the Giant bike has the better frame but the wheels, fork, and, brakes are a little better on the other one. It's really a tough call as I don't have much experience with bike buying.

hilljunkie said:
I think the Giant bike has the better frame but the wheels, fork, and, brakes are a little better on the other one.
What wheelset does the Giant bike have?

I'm not really sure but the other one has Mavic wheels which some have told me are a little better than the Giant TCR 3.

The carbon fork, I believe, makes a difference. My old GT ZR5000 was full aluminum and rode like it. My new Trek Equinox 7 with its tri geometry (which is supposibly uncomfortable) and carbon fork rides like butter compared to the GT.