Need Advice on my Training!

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
First I want to say thank you in advance for reading this post.

My background is that I have been riding as part of my gym routine as I never had the time for cardio with the weight training so I used it for commuting. Started to enjoy the rides alot and started to take alot of spinning classes. Got so addicted that I upgrdaed to a hybrid cannondale and made my goal of doing a tour from NYC to Boston and than NYC to Baltimore. I did some preparation, put in some miles and did both rides each taking two days and than did a couple centuries like the Transalt and MS Ride.

I than decided I wanted to get more serious, gave my cannondale to a friend, bought a Cervelo R3 with the goal of my first race. I also through ebay put together a Lemond Poprad for training with alot of mixed up parts. Anyway all my riding was very unplanned. I decided I had poor handling skills and needed to be more planned so when I bought the bike I found a coach. Just from a couple sessions I felt my handling skills went way up and he was also nice enough to send me a plan for a week by week training. He knows I like the gym so worked that in.

On Mondays, Gym, Tuesdays, 2 Hour Tempo, Ride with 35 min Intervals, Tempo 70-75% Intervals 80% with 70-75 rpm, wed, gym, Thursday, same as Tuesday, Friday rest day, Sat, 4 hour endurance ride, 2 x 50 min intervals 60-65% intensity with 95-100 rpm and Intervals at 75-80% with 75-80 rpm, sunday, 3 hour endurance ride, 65-70% intensity wth 90-95 rpm.

It changes slightly from week to week. I am 41, have a couple steel plates in my left ankle but never seemed to stop me before. I have been trying to keep up and keeping close but tough for time. Next I am a morning person and he said I should come on a couple team rides at 7:30pm and boy was I just completely thrown a curve. They got into double file, single file, pulling and while he was saying 70-75% hrm, everyone was at about 90-95% and all in the highest gear hammering. Kept up for 2-3 laps but was than blown out of the water. Surprised though how riding in a line can make you so much stronger.

Well I feel like a much stronger rider from only doing it for about 2 months but my body aches like never before especially the knees. I guess I am wondering is this too much too soon and are these team rides good for me? Last my goal is simply to do a race before the end of the year and to do longer tours.

He had me take a Lactate Acid Test and I am awaiting the results which I am interested in. I trust him as he is a pro but when we get into a team ride .. oh boy! What do you guys think about my training so far. What should I focus on?

It is funny I used to think the Night Rides at Central Park were nuts and know I am one of the nuts. Seeing those joggers jumping into the woods as we do about 30 is something.

-jfs

jsirabella said:
Well I feel like a much stronger rider from only doing it for about 2 months but my body aches like never before especially the knees.-jfs
Have you had your bike professionally fit to your body?

From your previous workouts and the fact that you did a couple centuries it sounds like your legs should have more than enough miles on them to handle the intensity.

A slight change in knee position might make a world of difference.

My .02

jsirabella said:
What should I focus on?
Nice work, sounds like you're getting the bug.

1. Find out what's causing your knee pain and resolve that. A professional bike fit might help. Once resolved try to replicate position on all bikes.

2. Have fun. Do lots of different types of riding (club rides, solo efforts, races, time trials, MTB, road, trainer, track/fixed gear whatever), try different things and work out what you enjoy the most. The more you enjoy, the more you'll ride, learn and get better.

3. Consider joining a club related to the type of riding you enjoys the most.

4. Working with a (good) coach is a great idea and the skills learned now will stand you in good stead in years to come. Skills and awareness/bike nouse have a higher priority over fitness when starting out, so good to programme a skills session as regular part of the routine.

When I purchased the R3, a fitting was included in the price. I am thinking of getting the Lemond fitted also.

As far as knee position goes, what is ideal? I have noticed through my own trial and error that it is the inside of my left knee which seems the worst. I have tried to put more effort on the outside portion of my leg, is that ideal? I also never know how tight to make the pedal clips does it make a difference?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Alex Simmons said:
Nice work, sounds like you're getting the bug.

1. Find out what's causing your knee pain and resolve that. A professional bike fit might help. Once resolved try to replicate position on all bikes.

2. Have fun. Do lots of different types of riding (club rides, solo efforts, races, time trials, MTB, road, trainer, track/fixed gear whatever), try different things and work out what you enjoy the most. The more you enjoy, the more you'll ride, learn and get better.

3. Consider joining a club related to the type of riding you enjoys the most.

4. Working with a (good) coach is a great idea and the skills learned now will stand you in good stead in years to come. Skills and awareness/bike nouse have a higher priority over fitness when starting out, so good to programme a skills session as regular part of the routine.

jsirabella said:
...As far as knee position goes, what is ideal? ...I have tried to put more effort on the outside portion of my leg, is that ideal? ....
No, compensating for pain by intentionally changing your pedal stroke isn't a good idea. If you pronate or supinate noticeably you should consider Lemond wedges: http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Lewedge+Shims&vendorCode=LEMOND&major=5&minor=6 to correct your alignment.

A lot of cycling chronic use knee pain comes from having a low saddle. Ideally your saddle should be between 88% and 92% of your inseam length. That's measured from the saddle top to the center of the bottom bracket and assumes your cranks are appropriate for your height/leg length. That should have been done during your fitting. If you paid for a custom fitting I'd be tempted to go back to the shop and tell them about your knee pain to have them double check your fit and possibly raise the saddle a bit.

Basically a well adjusted bike, possibly with floating pedals and or wedges to account for pronation or supination should be pain free unless you're regularly slogging away in huge gears.

Good luck,
Dave

P.S. Here's a link to a study of saddle height settings vs. injuries and compares several common techniques for arriving at saddle height: http://www.asep.org/files/PevelerSaddle.pdf