need advice on new drivetrain..

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by P., May 29, 2003.

  1. P.

    P. Guest

    Well folks, it's come time to replace my entire drivetrain (cassette, chain, front and rear der). I
    ultimately want to get all xt components but I don't have the money for the complete xt setup. Which
    xt component would you buy if you could only get one, and, what line of components would you get for
    the rest of the drivetrain (keep in mind I'm a x-country rider).

    Peace..

    Tags:

  2. > Don't bother with the XT crankset, its basically the same as the LX,
    except
    > one of the rings is aluminum instead of steel (the small one). At least, thats the way it was.

    I managed to blag myself an XT crankset when it was on special at Jensonusa. Something insane like
    50 bucks. The best crankset I've owned. I've got an XT rear derailleur which didnt cost much, 27 GBP
    iirc. My cassette is also XT which I bought probably overpriced at 34 GBP. Not much for a full XT
    drive train.

    Small Black Dog

  3. LX shifters LX 2003 bottom bracket LX 2003 cranks XT cassette LX front der XT rear der LX chain

    Caspar

    "P." <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > Well folks, it's come time to replace my entire drivetrain (cassette,
    chain,
    > front and rear der). I ultimately want to get all xt components but I
    don't
    > have the money for the complete xt setup. Which xt component would you
    buy
    > if you could only get one, and, what line of components would you get for the rest of the
    > drivetrain (keep in mind I'm a x-country rider).
    >
    > Peace..

  4. In the end, only the XT cassette (+/- 100 g lighter and stiffer than LX)

    "P." <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > Well folks, it's come time to replace my entire drivetrain (cassette,
    chain,
    > front and rear der). I ultimately want to get all xt components but I
    don't
    > have the money for the complete xt setup. Which xt component would you
    buy
    > if you could only get one, and, what line of components would you get for the rest of the
    > drivetrain (keep in mind I'm a x-country rider).
    >
    > Peace..

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "P." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well folks, it's come time to replace my entire drivetrain (cassette,
    chain,
    > front and rear der). I ultimately want to get all xt components but I
    don't
    > have the money for the complete xt setup. Which xt component would you
    buy
    > if you could only get one, and, what line of components would you get for the rest of the
    > drivetrain (keep in mind I'm a x-country rider).
    >
    > Peace..

    Do not buy like a Shitmano chain...get a Sachs (that probably means SRAM to you) like Bond, John
    Bond recommended.

    Don't worry about the front derailleur...if what you have is working, keep it, unless you are Roland
    Green, because only then will you notice the weight difference.

    I love the XT shift pods - I find them to be the only truly noticable upgrade between LX and XT -
    and would swap out anything else on the market for them.

    The XT rear mec is also my favorite, but if what you have works and is set up properly, you'd be
    better off with the XT shifters and new cables.

    I hate Shimano cranks, but they're the only game in town if you want to stay under $90 and get
    anything decent. Be careful with your choice of BB and cranks, though...some recent Shitmano stuff
    isn't interchangable between groups, i.e. an LX BB didn't work with an XT crank, etc. I don't know a
    lot about this, but it's a good reason to go to your LBS and have them put it all together.

    IME, Shimano makes the best shifters and derailleurs, but that's it. You'd be better off with a
    RaceFace Prodigy crankset and BB over an LX set and any Sachs chain over any Shimano. IMO, that is.

    Chris

  6. troyq

    troyq New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2003

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    Spring for the XT shifters. I've tried both LX and XT shifters (just did a side-by-side today too,
    by the way), and there really is a difference in feel - much more precise and positive action with
    the XTs. Worth the extra dosh.

    Jon Bond

    "Caspar Lugtmeier & Eva Skotarczak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > LX shifters LX 2003 bottom bracket LX 2003 cranks XT cassette LX front der XT rear der LX chain
    >
    > Caspar
    >
    > "P." <[email protected]> schreef in bericht news:[email protected]...
    > > Well folks, it's come time to replace my entire drivetrain (cassette,
    > chain,
    > > front and rear der). I ultimately want to get all xt components but I
    > don't
    > > have the money for the complete xt setup. Which xt component would you
    > buy
    > > if you could only get one, and, what line of components would you get
    for
    > > the rest of the drivetrain (keep in mind I'm a x-country rider).
    > >
    > > Peace..

  8. Vaughn

    Vaughn Guest

    "Caspar Lugtmeier & Eva Skotarczak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > LX shifters LX 2003 bottom bracket LX 2003 cranks XT cassette LX front der XT rear der LX chain

    This list looks good to me , but go for the SRAM chain......

    Vaughn

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    P. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well folks, it's come time to replace my entire drivetrain (cassette,
    chain,
    > front and rear der). I ultimately want to get all xt components but I
    don't
    > have the money for the complete xt setup. Which xt component would you
    buy
    > if you could only get one,

    Rear mech., defo.

    > and, what line of components would you get for the rest of the drivetrain (keep in mind I'm a
    > x-country rider).

    Sram chain (PC69?). Sram 7 or 9 cassette (I loved the 11-34 I had last time), or similar level
    Shimano (I went with a HG50 11-32 for cash reasons this time - seems fine so far and shifting
    is crisp).

    Cranks - go for what ever you feel like, I got no real opinion here.

    Shaun aRe