Need advice on post install of Ultegra cartrige BB

cokes&spokes

Jan 18, 2004
I installed a new Ultegra 6500 BB today in a Lemond Zurich frame. The axle seems to be running a little rougher than it did before the install (there seems to be a little more compression on the bearings).
With the crank arms on, it seems real smooth. I tried loosening the cartrige from the drive side and then retightening
the opposite cup with little change. Is this a normal situation or could the slightly greater tightness cause damage to the BB?

Originally posted by cokes&spokes
I installed a new Ultegra 6500 BB today in a Lemond Zurich frame. The axle seems to be running a little rougher than it did before the install (there seems to be a little more compression on the bearings).
With the crank arms on, it seems real smooth. I tried loosening the cartrige from the drive side and then retightening
the opposite cup with little change. Is this a normal situation or could the slightly greater tightness cause damage to the BB?
Tighten the driveside properly,and try not quite so tight on the non drive.Sometimes the BB shell may need faced.If not square it can cause the BB to bind,but it usually is not as critical as with the old cup and ball types.