need advice on raod biking in Toronto + Montreal

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Sujee Maniyam, May 24, 2003.

  1. I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
    looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.

    any tips appreciated.

    thanks ./Sujee

    Tags:

  2. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    "Sujee Maniyam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
    > looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.
    >
    > any tips appreciated.
    >
    > thanks ./Sujee

    Here's a website that has been posted previously in this newsgroup.
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Sujee Maniyam <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
    > looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.

    For Montreal, go to http://www.velo.qc.ca, switch to the English site, and click on "Bikeways" in
    the nav bar. There are several pdf maps available that show the bike paths (on roads) in the entire
    metropolitan area.

    The site also sells maps.

    Kate M. montreal.com

  4. Lil'Dead Ed

    Lil'Dead Ed Guest

    > For Montreal, go to http://www.velo.qc.ca, switch to the English site, and click on "Bikeways" in
    > the nav bar. There are several pdf maps available that show the bike paths (on roads) in the
    > entire metropolitan area.
    >
    > The site also sells maps.
    >

    > Kate M. montreal.com

    Montreal, The velo quebec site, in bricks-and-mortar mode, is la maison des cyclists located at
    1251 Rachel Street east at parc lafontaine, and had maps there and worth a visit in person. Their
    maps are also available in bike shops around town. I like the one that costs 3$ and had six maps
    of the north, south, central, west, and different scales of the local bike paths. This one is a
    great bargain.

  5. "Sujee Maniyam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
    > looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.

    Besides for the bike route maps that people have mentioned, you might want some good city street
    maps. The best maps of Canadian cities (by far) are published by MapArt, http://www.mapart.com --
    they're clear, color-coded, accurate, and fairly cheap.

    - Mark

    --
    My email address is cochranemk *at* yahoo *dot* com

  6. Tanya Quinn

    Tanya Quinn Guest

    Sujee Maniyam <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
    > looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.
    >
    > any tips appreciated.
    >
    > thanks ./Sujee

    The city of Toronto website has a PDF of their cycling map. http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling

    Better road riding is likely found outside of Toronto in the surrounding 905 municipalities. (unless
    you are a fan of potholes and frequent stoplights) The Toronto Bike Network has many rides leaving
    from the city and going towards the countryside of varying lengths, you may either be able to join
    them, or email them for route advice. http://www.tbn.on.ca/

    You might also want to look into the waterfront trail which runs all along Lake Ontario, but its
    broken up in places, some places follow roads, there are sections of paved trail and some sections
    follow dirt paths that may not be suitable for your road bike. http://www.waterfronttrail.org/

    For Montreal, check out the route verte website http://www.routeverte.com/

  7. > The city of Toronto website has a PDF of their cycling map. http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling

    > Better road riding is likely found outside of Toronto in the surrounding 905 municipalities.
    > (unless you are a fan of potholes and frequent stoplights) The Toronto Bike Network has many
    > rides leaving

    You forgot the street car tracks that can be a real hazard for cycling in central Toronto -- you
    learn to watch out for them very quickly!

    Other than the tracks, I've always enjoyed cycling in Toronto, there are lots of other cyclists
    in the city.