need advice on raod biking in Toronto + Montreal

Sujee Maniyam

Guest
I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.

any tips appreciated.

thanks ./Sujee

In article <[email protected]>, Sujee Maniyam <[email protected]> wrote:

> I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
> looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.

For Montreal, go to http://www.velo.qc.ca, switch to the English site, and click on "Bikeways" in
the nav bar. There are several pdf maps available that show the bike paths (on roads) in the entire
metropolitan area.

The site also sells maps.

Kate M. montreal.com

> For Montreal, go to http://www.velo.qc.ca, switch to the English site, and click on "Bikeways" in
> the nav bar. There are several pdf maps available that show the bike paths (on roads) in the
> entire metropolitan area.
>
> The site also sells maps.
>

> Kate M. montreal.com

Montreal, The velo quebec site, in bricks-and-mortar mode, is la maison des cyclists located at
1251 Rachel Street east at parc lafontaine, and had maps there and worth a visit in person. Their
maps are also available in bike shops around town. I like the one that costs 3$ and had six maps
of the north, south, central, west, and different scales of the local bike paths. This one is a
great bargain.

"Sujee Maniyam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
> looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.

Besides for the bike route maps that people have mentioned, you might want some good city street
maps. The best maps of Canadian cities (by far) are published by MapArt, http://www.mapart.com --
they're clear, color-coded, accurate, and fairly cheap.

- Mark

--
My email address is cochranemk *at* yahoo *dot* com

Sujee Maniyam <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I will be in Toronto + Montreal this June. I am planning on taking my road bike with me. I am
> looking for some pointers to books/trail maps/websites for nice _road_ bike trails.
>
> any tips appreciated.
>
> thanks ./Sujee

The city of Toronto website has a PDF of their cycling map. http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling

Better road riding is likely found outside of Toronto in the surrounding 905 municipalities. (unless
you are a fan of potholes and frequent stoplights) The Toronto Bike Network has many rides leaving
from the city and going towards the countryside of varying lengths, you may either be able to join
them, or email them for route advice. http://www.tbn.on.ca/

You might also want to look into the waterfront trail which runs all along Lake Ontario, but its
broken up in places, some places follow roads, there are sections of paved trail and some sections
follow dirt paths that may not be suitable for your road bike. http://www.waterfronttrail.org/

For Montreal, check out the route verte website http://www.routeverte.com/

> The city of Toronto website has a PDF of their cycling map. http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling
>
> Better road riding is likely found outside of Toronto in the surrounding 905 municipalities.
> (unless you are a fan of potholes and frequent stoplights) The Toronto Bike Network has many
> rides leaving

You forgot the street car tracks that can be a real hazard for cycling in central Toronto -- you
learn to watch out for them very quickly!

Other than the tracks, I've always enjoyed cycling in Toronto, there are lots of other cyclists
in the city.