Need Advice on Replacing Ksyrium Rim

Trek5500

Banned
Apr 25, 2005
The rim on my front Kysrium SSC SL has a nasty dimple in the side. No cracks and the wheel is true but the pulsing under hard braking is starting to get to me. I'd like to try rebuilding it myself but can't find a source on the net for Mavic rims. Locally I have a choice of two shops, one has never sold a set Kysriums and tried to put me a lower cost replacement off the wall. The other has a good wheelsmith, but prefers to rebuild rather than sell parts alone. I've checked all the usual on-line suspects, but no joy. Does anyone know of a reliable source that will sell a new rim and what the normal retail price might be? Thanks

I'm going to venture a guess here, but I very much doubt you're going to be able to source an unbuilt, new Mavic Ksyruim SL rim, as it's a factory built wheelset. The only Mavic rims I know of that are available to shops via their usual distributors are the basic Open Pro types. They have to order Ksyriums and other kit wheels directly from Mavic, pre-built. I think you're best bet would be to contact Mavic and see if you can send your wheel in to have them replace the rim at some charge.

Rim damage = unit replacement.

Never seen Ksyrium rims for sale.

Went down this road trying to find a new rim for an Elite with similar issues. No luck on getting a new rim, only option would be to send it back to Mavic for a factory re-build. I troll eBay a bunch and have only once seem a K rim for sale.