need advice on Roval wheels problem

bpope

Jul 14, 2007
My husband has Roval Fusee wheels on his Specialized Roubaix and he has broken two spokes in the past two months. Each time his spoke broke, his wheel immediately went out of true, and he had to ride it for a ways (no other viable choice at the time) with a significant wobble and the brake rubbing badly. Our bike shop people thought it was an anomaly. One of the riders in our cycling club suggested that my husband was putting undue torque on the wheel when he is climbing. (He's a big guy...195 lbs. a lot of upper body bulk from 30 years of weightlifting, very strong legs...but shouldn't the wheels stand up to that?) They put a new spoke on either side of the broken spoke, in case those spokes might have been compromised by the broken one. However, after today's ride (same set of circumstances as last ride), we're not sure if this spoke broke because it was weakened by the previous break and we just need to have ALL the spokes replaced, or if the wheels are just not good for everyday riding (150-200 miles per week, with regular climbing rides). We saw a number of comments in other forums from riders who had experienced the same type of thing. We're fairly new to riding and don't know what to do. Any input/advice? (And does anyone know if the Fusee Star would be better for him?)

If I'm not mistaken these are 20 spoke front and back wheels. I'd say if your husband is 195 and powers up these may well be the wrong selection of wheel.

If you are repeatedly breaking spokes it's not likely the spokes have been damaged in any way, rather the spoke tension in the wheel is off. Take it to a wheelbuilder and have them take a look.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
If I'm not mistaken these are 20 spoke front and back wheels. I'd say if your husband is 195 and powers up these may well be the wrong selection of wheel.

If you are repeatedly breaking spokes it's not likely the spokes have been damaged in any way, rather the spoke tension in the wheel is off. Take it to a wheelbuilder and have them take a look.

--brett
Just getting this message. Thanks for the input, Brett. We'll check it out.