Need advice on selling Motobecane Super Mirage (c.1972)

Thornhill

Guest
I've had two Motobecane Super Mirage bikes (c.1972), one of them a
Mixte, sitting in storage for quite a few years, and now I need to get
rid of them. Both are in (very) good condition; the non-Mixte had new
components installed as recently as the mid '90s (such as the
derailleurs and shifters).

What's a fair asking price? $50? I see someone is trying to sell a 1970
Super Mirage on ebay for $170:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motobecane-Supe...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this person nuts, or am I grossly undervaluing the bikes?

Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

Thornhill wrote:
> I've had two Motobecane Super Mirage bikes (c.1972), one of them a
> Mixte, sitting in storage for quite a few years, and now I need to get
> rid of them. Both are in (very) good condition; the non-Mixte had new
> components installed as recently as the mid '90s (such as the
> derailleurs and shifters).
>
> What's a fair asking price? $50? I see someone is trying to sell a 1970
> Super Mirage on ebay for $170:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Motobecane-Supe...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Is this person nuts, or am I grossly undervaluing the bikes?
>
> Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

He's nuts.
I have an older Motobecane with up tube mounted shifters and I doubt
that it would be worth listing.
Bill

On 2 Apr 2006 21:21:52 -0700, "Thornhill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've had two Motobecane Super Mirage bikes (c.1972), one of them a
>Mixte, sitting in storage for quite a few years, and now I need to get
>rid of them. Both are in (very) good condition; the non-Mixte had new
>components installed as recently as the mid '90s (such as the
>derailleurs and shifters).
>
>What's a fair asking price? $50? I see someone is trying to sell a 1970
>Super Mirage on ebay for $170:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Motobecane-Supe...ryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
>Is this person nuts, or am I grossly undervaluing the bikes?
>
>Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

Yeah, throw it on ebay with a $40 opening bid, and a $45 shipping fee to the
lower 48. Real soon you'll find out what each is worth.

Let the market decide.

Ron

[email protected] wrote:
> Donate them to a charity and take the tax deduction.
>
> You CAN'T lose anything that way.
>
> Lewis.
>
> *****

That's what I'm thinking of doing since I want to unload these bikes as
soon as possible.

I also don't see ebay as a viable option because I can't imagine anyone
willing to pay $45 shipping for the bikes.

I recently sold a late 70's Motobecane Super Mirage through Craigslist
(www.craigslist.com). I live near Chicago, and a young couple who lived
downtown bought it. They were interested in a lighter-weight road bike
that wasn't too valuable, that they could ride to work and lock up.

I had about 6 replies to my post from people interested in it. One was
looking for a bike to use on a tour. Had it been smaller than 59cm, I
may have received more replies...

I bought it for $5 from a garage sale a couple of years ago - it was
all original, and sold it for $75 with no additional work put into it.

Michelle