Need advice on Spin Carbon Tri-spokes

arterius

Nov 11, 2004
I am fed up with having to get my wheels trued every month. I have inexpensive stock rims and I weigh over 220 pounds so I'm sure that contributes greatly to my wheel woes. Anyways I am thinking about getting a set of SPIN Tri-spoke carbon fiber wheels. The only thing I know is that SPIN doesn't make these any more. I almost bought a set of Spinergy carbon Fiber but have heard some really negative things about them. I don't care about the looks or how high tech the wheels are I am just tired of spokes period. Does anyone know anything about the SPIN Tri-spoke carbons? Thanks.

The Spinergy carbon wheels were pretty poorly designed, and Spin was using an extremely expensive fabrication method. You can still get the Hed 3 though:
http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/hed3.htm
Keep in mind that these wheels have a pretty harsh ride, which is why you only see them in triathlons and time trials. Unless you really need to go fast, having a set of wheels custom made with stronger rims (like the Velocity Deep V) is probably going to be a better idea.

Thanks for your advice. I have already crossed the spinergys off my list because I heard stories of them breaking and people getting hurt. As far as the HED3 I agree they are the best but they will cost me around $800 a set used. I can get the SPIN for around $450 a set. I did not know that tri-spokes had a harsh ride. But I will pretty much put up with that to not have to use spoked rims.
I have to drive 30 miles to the nearest bike shop to get the rims trued.
Already bid on the SPIN's so I guess I'll find out when I get them.