Need advice on steel road frames (or Soma ES vs Surly Pacer vs Salsa Casseroll)

asohio

Jun 18, 2013
Hi All,

My partner and I are very happy owners of Surly LHTs. Now we're in the market for non-touring roads bikes that are, well, a tad zippier. We want to stick with steel since the smooth ride we get from our Surlies has ruined us for aluminum; most carbon bikes aren't in our price range (and the ones that might be are not aesthetically appealing). We're looking for road bikes ideal for those long day rides on both flat and hilly roads. We want something fast, but we're not racers. We want the kind of bike you can do 20, 30, 40, 50 miles on (and the occasional century) without feeling you're lugging concrete with you.

I'm 5' and about 105 lbs and my partner is roughly 6'1" and maybe 175-180. Ideally, we'd like to spend under $1500, but could be convinced to spend a little more given the right bike (but NOT more than 2K). My partner tried a Salsa Casseroll the other day and fell in love (I couldn't try it because the LBS didn't have one in my size). Since our truckers have been good to us, we're both attracted to the idea of getting Surly Pacers (haven't tried 'em though). I'm also reading a lot about the Soma ES and am starting to feel like that bike might the way to go.

Any thoughts on these three bikes? I know they're all very similar, but any experiences y'all have with them (or other frames that could fit our bill) would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Aso

Bienvenido a nuestra BICI tienda, si usted necesita ruedas de carbono road, venga,venga!!!

FWIW, I bought a Bianchi steelie and I have been well pleased. Mid-range Shimano 105 groupset works really well. The ride is great. Wasn't cheap but wasn't mega-expensive either. I think the newer model Bianchis are fitted with SRAM. Worth a look.

doctorold said:
FWIW, I bought a Bianchi steelie and I have been well pleased.  Mid-range Shimano 105 groupset works really well.  The ride is great.  Wasn't cheap but wasn't mega-expensive either.  I think the newer model Bianchis are fitted with SRAM.  Worth a look.
like the Bianchi Pegorelli