Need advice on titanium 105 used bike

tdcadillac

Jul 1, 2020
Hello all

I don't know much about used bike.

this is a used bike with 105 shimano

is it a good buy?

" 2018 Eclipse Titanium 58 cm road bike...with carbon fork. Titanium frame is flexproof and bulletproof... Shimano 105 drive components 27 speed with flight deck double shifters.. Shimano caliper brakes with new pads... Ritchey adjustable headset Recent Bontrager tires on 700 x 23 Alloy wheels. No warps... Shimano clip pedals.. Everything is good condition...( minor scratches)...no repairs needed... Accesories available..elbow pads ...odometer... Asking 700 Absolutely not negotiable...( 1300 new)..."

A 27-speed 2018 105?
27 speed would mean 3x9. Were there really 3x9 105 groupsets made in 2018?
23mm tires aren’t considered that great anymore. Wider rims and wider tires can give a lower drag and more comfortable ride.
Have no idea what is meant by ”double shifters”. Or ”adjustable headset”.
Can still be an OK price for a Ti frame & CF fork - if it fits you.

Reactions: tdcadillac
First let's get the hype out of the way, NO material used to build bicycle frames is flexproof or bulletproof!

Having said that the Enigma bike is a very highly praised bike, getting 4 1/2 stars consistently across several websites I saw. So really what I want to know is how much is this used bike going for? Bikes do NOT hold their value long, though Ti holds the longest it still takes a huge hit in the first year, and if the seller thinks he can get $2,500 or so out of it then he's out of his mind! Heck you could buy a new TI bike for close to that price like the Lynskey R300, or the Litespeed T5 or the Litespeed Ultimate, and then you would have a warranty on the components and the frame.

I would be wondering why the guy is selling his TI bike, yeah I know they have all sorts of excuses, but did he find out he damaged the fork and the damage is hidden? did he crack the frame someplace and you haven't found it? Most people don't just sell their Ti bikes after a year or two of riding.

First let's get the hype out of the way, NO material used to build bicycle frames is flexproof or bulletproof!

Having said that the Enigma bike is a very highly praised bike, getting 4 1/2 stars consistently across several websites I saw. So really what I want to know is how much is this used bike going for? Bikes do NOT hold their value long, though Ti holds the longest it still takes a huge hit in the first year, and if the seller thinks he can get $2,500 or so out of it then he's out of his mind! Heck you could buy a new TI bike for close to that price like the Lynskey R300, or the Litespeed T5 or the Litespeed Ultimate, and then you would have a warranty on the components and the frame.

I would be wondering why the guy is selling his TI bike, yeah I know they have all sorts of excuses, but did he find out he damaged the fork and the damage is hidden? did he crack the frame someplace and you haven't found it? Most people don't just sell their Ti bikes after a year or two of riding.
that is my reasoning as well. If I have to pay a used for that price why not buying a new one and get the warranty. I want to buy a used bike and I am taking the risk so the price should be reasonable not close to a new one.
Thanks Froze always much appreciated.

If you get a chance you need to ride a TI bike, people say steel is real, but TI is absolutely the most comfortable riding material so far used in bike frames. I have both steel and tI, and there is a day and night difference using the two types of material over the same surfaces; nothing comes close to the feel of TI...so far.

Some people argue that steel is stronger? Yeah of course that comes from steel builders, but the truth is TI is far stronger than steel.

https://www.honeybikes.com/steel-or-titanium This comes from a steel builder so they're being quite truthful about it all. I have several steel bikes and none of them compare to the feel I have with the TI bike, and steel feels better than carbon fiber or aluminum bikes.

Anyway I hope you share whatever bike you buy, I'm dying to know what you get!!

In the meantime here are some entertaining videos:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63bmVpck

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0eP-6j8d6s

View: https://vimeo.com/106021360

Some websites will promote the EFBe frame tests for their proof, but here's the real dope on that: http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/opinions/frame-test.html

If you get a chance you need to ride a TI bike, people say steel is real, but TI is absolutely the most comfortable riding material so far used in bike frames. I have both steel and tI, and there is a day and night difference using the two types of material over the same surfaces; nothing comes close to the feel of TI...so far.

Some people argue that steel is stronger? Yeah of course that comes from steel builders, but the truth is TI is far stronger than steel.

https://www.honeybikes.com/steel-or-titanium This comes from a steel builder so they're being quite truthful about it all. I have several steel bikes and none of them compare to the feel I have with the TI bike, and steel feels better than carbon fiber or aluminum bikes.

Anyway I hope you share whatever bike you buy, I'm dying to know what you get!!

In the meantime here are some entertaining videos:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63bmVpck

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0eP-6j8d6s

View: https://vimeo.com/106021360

Some websites will promote the EFBe frame tests for their proof, but here's the real dope on that: http://www.tomsarazac.com/tom/opinions/frame-test.html
Hello Froze
Long time hope you are doing great.
I bought a Specialized Elite
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/allez-elite/p/133817?color=239805-133817&searchText=90018-4256
It is my first road bike so for me it is great as I never rode TI, Steel nor Carbon and don't know the difference. I wanted a disc brake but after many research and specially watching photos of the last tour de France I found that if those athletes are using rim brakes then why should I bother with disc . I started to ride at night to get used to the bike and also did couple of indoor training . I think next spring I will be ready for longer rides :)
have a lovely evening and many thanks as usual

I'm doing great TC thanks for asking.

Your thing about disk brakes vs rim brakes is what I've been trying to tell people a long time about if rim brakes have been good enough for pro racing for all these years than their more than good enough for us everyday riders. The other odd thing about rim brakes being in events like the TDF where riders screamed down steep mountain passes exceeding 65 mph then had to slow for turns...well there isn't mass graves on the end of those turns!

In rain disk brakes are a bit better than rim brakes, but most riders don't ride in the rain, and even with rim brakes they still raced on the TDF in the rain; in the rain, the pads play an important part, Kool-Stop Salmon pads work the best, I use nothing but those and they work great when things get wet, they also work great in the dry, they also last a lot longer than standard black pads.

Disk brakes are really the best form of braking for CF wheels with CF brake track, rim brakes don't work well with those type of wheels.

Marketing has a huge role in how a person thinks, and what they will accept and believe.

Hey TC! I totally get what you're saying about the debate between disk brakes and rim brakes. It's true that rim brakes have been the go-to for pro racing for years, and they've proven to be reliable. Plus, if they can handle those crazy mountain descents in events like the TDF, then they must be doing something right. Although, I have to admit, when it comes to rainy conditions, I've heard disk brakes have a slight advantage. But hey, it's good to see some love for the classic rim brakes!

A 2018 Eclipse Titanium road bike with 105 Shimano components for $700? Now that's a steal! The titanium frame is indeed flexproof and bulletproof, and the 105 groupset is known for its reliability. If you're comfortable with the size and the minor scratches don't bother you, go for it! Just make sure to test ride it before purchasing. And remember, a helmet is a small price to pay for safety. ;)

I couldn't agree more about the value of that Titanium Eclipse road bike! The 105 Shimano groupset is indeed a testament to reliability and durability. However, let's not forget that the true worth of a bike lies beyond its components. Have you considered the bike's geometry and how it matches your riding style? A perfect fit is crucial for optimal performance and injury prevention. And while we're on the topic of safety, I'd like to emphasize the importance of regular maintenance checks, not just the helmet. A small investment in preventive care can save you from costly repairs down the line. Happy cycling! ‍♂️

You're spot on about the importance of a bike's geometry and regular maintenance checks! A bike that's the wrong fit can lead to discomfort and even injuries, so it's vital to ensure it suits your riding style.

I'm glad you mentioned bike geometry, as it's often overlooked. But how do we determine the right fit for each individual? It's not always one-size-fits-all, and even the most meticulous maintenance can't prevent all injuries. Could there be other factors at play here?

Aha, bike geometry, the holy grail of cycling! Of course, it's all about finding the perfect fit for each individual, like Cinderella and her glass slipper. But let's not forget about the role of, oh I don't know, the rider's actual body in all of this. Maybe, just maybe, our bodies have something to do with injuries, too. Shocking, I know. ‍♂️

Hmm, so the rider's body plays a part in cycling injuries, who would've guessed? Instead of fixating on Cinderella's slipper, perhaps we should also consider how bike geometry interacts with the rider's unique physique. It's almost as if cycling is a complex sport that requires personalized equipment and technique. Crazy, huh?

You're right, it's about time we stop obsessing over the fairy tale and start focusing on the real issues in cycling. The rider's body and bike geometry are both crucial factors in preventing injuries. But let's not forget about the role of cycling shoes and cleats. Poorly fitted shoes can cause foot numbness, knee pain, and even lead to severe injuries.

And what about the saddle height? A saddle that's too high or too low can lead to lower back pain and knee issues. It's essential to adjust the saddle height to match the rider's leg length and riding style.

Have you ever considered how the handlebar height and reach can impact your cycling posture and comfort? A proper handlebar setup can prevent shoulder and neck pain, improve breathing, and enhance overall performance.

So, instead of blindly following the trends, let's take a scientific approach to cycling and prioritize personalized equipment and technique. What do you think? :think: