Need advice on training fins

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Paul, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I'm interested in improving my kick. I know the kick is
    not that important, but my kick is awful - I can't even
    get across the pool. I've seen two types of training fins
    (1) short stubby ones and (2) longer ones with a split in
    the middle.

    Any advice? Paul

    Tags:

  2. Rsquared

    Rsquared Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm interested in improving my kick. I know the kick is
    > not that
    important,
    > but my kick is awful - I can't even get across the pool.
    > I've seen two types of training fins (1) short stubby ones
    > and (2) longer ones with a split in the middle.
    >
    > Any advice? Paul

    You will get fans of each (split or stubby).

    One thing to watch out for, with the long ones, is that they
    tend to flatten your hips in the water. This is not a great
    technique to reinforce.

    My guess is, if your kick is as challenged as you describe,
    that your problem has more to do with a combination of
    technique and flexibility.

    I haven't seen you swim, but I have helped some new
    swimmers. I recommend getting more formal ($$) assistance.
    Ask around for someone (or a program) that is well regarded.
    The staff at the pool is a good start (for opinions on a
    coach/program).

    Some guesswork:

    Newbies tend to kick from the knees, increasing their "wash"
    and frontal area.

    Additionally, not pointing your feet is a common problem. I
    suspect that this is a runners reflex to exertion(?) - -
    kicking "toes-up". It is difficult to "unlearn".

    Fins will not be the magic pill. Think of them like hand
    paddles - - they are a strength/flexibility tool. If your
    form is bad, it may only mask the problem.

    rsquared

    P.S. Don't spend allot of money. Do a Froogle or MySimon
    search on some long fins. If you end up using short
    ones, you won't feel bad about cutting them off.