need advice on: Trek 1600 or Felt z70?

Hello,

I am interested in buying a new street/road/racing bicycle. I looked
around some of the local shops in my area (louisville) and test road a
couple as well.

At the first shop, which is about 2 miles to my house, I test rode a
Felt z70. The sales man said he was going to give it to me @ $1050.

At the second shop, which is about 10 miles from my house, I looked at
two bycicles though, I test rode only one.. they are Trek 1600 priced
at $1000 and Trek 2.1 priced $1150.

I like the Trek1600 as well as the Felt z70. I wanted to know how the
brands compare against each other and which one would be a better
purchase or should I pay slightly higher and get a better one. I do
not want to go over the $1000 mark by too much.

My primary reason is to enjoy the bike (casual riding in the evenings)
and commute to work which is about 10 miles away. My heart is set on a
racing bicycle .. and must admit that I am very excited about this
purchase.

I want to make the better investment here. Which is the newer/better
model, reliable, better parts used is what I would like to know. I
appreciate (and am looking forward to) your comments. :)

Thank you.

Zee.

On May 13, 7:49 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in buying a new street/road/racing bicycle. I looked
> around some of the local shops in my area (louisville) and test road a
> couple as well.
>
> At the first shop, which is about 2 miles to my house, I test rode a
> Felt z70. The sales man said he was going to give it to me @ $1050.
>
> At the second shop, which is about 10 miles from my house, I looked at
> two bycicles though, I test rode only one.. they are Trek 1600 priced
> at $1000 and Trek 2.1 priced $1150.
>
> I like the Trek1600 as well as the Felt z70. I wanted to know how the
> brands compare against each other and which one would be a better
> purchase or should I pay slightly  higher and get a better one. I do
> not want to go over the $1000 mark by too much.
>
> My primary reason is to enjoy the bike (casual riding in the evenings)
> and commute to work which is about 10 miles away. My heart is set on a
> racing bicycle .. and must admit that I am very excited about this
> purchase.
>
> I want to make the better investment here. Which is the newer/better
> model, reliable, better parts used is what I would like to know. I
> appreciate (and am looking forward to) your comments. :)
>
> Thank you.
>
> Zee.

These days you buy the bike shop more than the bike, Which shop gives
you genuine, useful information, particularly about which fits you? (a
standover check, ride around does not a bike fit make). Bike frame,
quality of assembly, service after the sale(including changing things
like stem) is more important than the bike differences, which I am
sure are small. No such thing as a bad bike in a bike shop, only bad
bike shops.

On May 13, 8:49 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in buying a new street/road/racing bicycle. I looked
> around some of the local shops in my area (louisville) and test road a
> couple as well.
>
> At the first shop, which is about 2 miles to my house, I test rode a
> Felt z70. The sales man said he was going to give it to me @ $1050.
>
> At the second shop, which is about 10 miles from my house, I looked at
> two bycicles though, I test rode only one.. they are Trek 1600 priced
> at $1000 and Trek 2.1 priced $1150.
>
> I like the Trek1600 as well as the Felt z70. I wanted to know how the
> brands compare against each other and which one would be a better
> purchase or should I pay slightly higher and get a better one.

Get the one that's set up and fits better. $1000 Bikes are commodity
items. If one has a better widget here or there, it's usually a matter
of three minutes and a few bucks.

That said, the big standout difference between the bikes is that while
the Trek comes with exceptionally stupid wheels for no reason other
than sales floor fashion, the Felt comes with conventional easy to
service wheels, which aren't slower--except for in the sales
department.

On May 13, 10:42 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 13, 8:49 am, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Hello,

> > I am interested in buying a new street/road/racing bicycle. I looked
> > around some of the local shops in my area (louisville) and test road a
> > couple as well.

> > At the first shop, which is about 2 miles to my house, I test rode a
> > Felt z70. The sales man said he was going to give it to me @ $1050.

> > At the second shop, which is about 10 miles from my house, I looked at
> > two bycicles though, I test rode only one.. they are Trek 1600 priced
> > at $1000 and Trek 2.1 priced $1150.

> > I like the Trek1600 as well as the Felt z70. I wanted to know how the
> > brands compare against each other and which one would be a better
> > purchase or should I pay slightly  higher and get a better one.

> Get the one that's set up and fits better. $1000 Bikes are commodity
> items. If one has a better widget here or there, it's usually a matter
> of three minutes and a few bucks.
>
> That said, the big standout difference between the bikes is that while
> the Trek comes with exceptionally stupid wheels for no reason other
> than sales floor fashion, the Felt comes with conventional easy to
> service wheels, which aren't slower--except for in the sales
> department.- Hide quoted text -

qui si... & landotter,

thanks for your comments. do you mean that Treks come with wheels that
are hard to repair?

On May 13, 11:26 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 13, 10:42 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On May 13, 8:49 am, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Hello,

> > > I am interested in buying a new street/road/racing bicycle. I looked
> > > around some of the local shops in my area (louisville) and test road a
> > > couple as well.

> > > At the first shop, which is about 2 miles to my house, I test rode a
> > > Felt z70. The sales man said he was going to give it to me @ $1050.

> > > At the second shop, which is about 10 miles from my house, I looked at
> > > two bycicles though, I test rode only one.. they are Trek 1600 priced
> > > at $1000 and Trek 2.1 priced $1150.

> > > I like the Trek1600 as well as the Felt z70. I wanted to know how the
> > > brands compare against each other and which one would be a better
> > > purchase or should I pay slightly higher and get a better one.

> > Get the one that's set up and fits better. $1000 Bikes are commodity
> > items. If one has a better widget here or there, it's usually a matter
> > of three minutes and a few bucks.

> > That said, the big standout difference between the bikes is that while
> > the Trek comes with exceptionally stupid wheels for no reason other
> > than sales floor fashion, the Felt comes with conventional easy to
> > service wheels, which aren't slower--except for in the sales
> > department.- Hide quoted text -

> qui si... & landotter,
>
> thanks for your comments. do you mean that Treks come with wheels that
> are hard to repair?

Not "hard" per se, but as they're low-spoke, higher tension for no
reason other than fashion--they are more likely to *need* to be
repaired in the first place. Check out the reviews on them here:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/bontrager/PRD_104397_2490crx.aspx

The Felt comes rolling laced on conventional and strong 32H Mavic
rims. Popping a spoke with a wheel like that's a minor inconvenience--
if it ever happens, vs cracking one of those Bontrager rims and having
to wait weeks for a replacement.

In article
<067159ec-187a-469b-a943-0a503701e09b@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in buying a new street/road/racing bicycle. I looked
> around some of the local shops in my area (louisville) and test road a
> couple as well.
>
> At the first shop, which is about 2 miles to my house, I test rode a
> Felt z70. The sales man said he was going to give it to me @ $1050.
>
> At the second shop, which is about 10 miles from my house, I looked at
> two bycicles though, I test rode only one.. they are Trek 1600 priced
> at $1000 and Trek 2.1 priced $1150.
>
> I like the Trek1600 as well as the Felt z70. I wanted to know how the
> brands compare against each other and which one would be a better
> purchase or should I pay slightly higher and get a better one. I do
> not want to go over the $1000 mark by too much.
>
> My primary reason is to enjoy the bike (casual riding in the evenings)
> and commute to work which is about 10 miles away. My heart is set on a
> racing bicycle .. and must admit that I am very excited about this
> purchase.
>
> I want to make the better investment here. Which is the newer/better
> model, reliable, better parts used is what I would like to know. I
> appreciate (and am looking forward to) your comments. :)

Good fit is important. Now the bad news.
A good starting fit will not be `comfortable.'
A bicycle is work, and you become more comfortable
as you develop your physique. And as you become
stronger, your ideal fit on the bicycle changes.
Typically the bars descend and extend away from you.
Begin with the bars at the level of your saddle.

Best wishes.

--
Michael Press

Those wheels are superior to the regular type.. I havent trued mine
since 2002 and have no need to.

On May 13, 7:36 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 13, 7:49 am, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Hello,

> > I am interested in buying a new street/road/racing bicycle. I looked
> > around some of the local shops in my area (louisville) and test road a
> > couple as well.

> > At the first shop, which is about 2 miles to my house, I test rode a
> > Felt z70. The sales man said he was going to give it to me @ $1050.

> > At the second shop, which is about 10 miles from my house, I looked at
> > two bycicles though, I test rode only one.. they are Trek 1600 priced
> > at $1000 and Trek 2.1 priced $1150.

> > I like the Trek1600 as well as the Felt z70. I wanted to know how the
> > brands compare against each other and which one would be a better
> > purchase or should I pay slightly  higher and get a better one. I do
> > not want to go over the $1000 mark by too much.

> > My primary reason is to enjoy the bike (casual riding in the evenings)
> > and commute to work which is about 10 miles away. My heart is set on a
> > racing bicycle .. and must admit that I am very excited about this
> > purchase.

> > I want to make the better investment here. Which is the newer/better
> > model, reliable, better parts used is what I would like to know. I
> > appreciate (and am looking forward to) your comments. :)

> > Thank you.

> > Zee.

> These days you buy the bike shop more than the bike, Which shop gives
> you genuine, useful information, particularly about which fits you? (a
> standover check, ride around does not a bike fit make). Bike frame,
> quality of assembly, service after the sale(including changing things
> like stem) is more important than the bike differences, which I am
> sure are small. No such thing as a bad bike in a bike shop, only bad
> bike shops.- Hide quoted text -

With that said, also read the warranty -- the Trek warranty may be
better than the Felt warranty (or vice versa). I always find it
interesting that some of the high-zoot frames come with six month
warranties or warranties that are void if you actually race the bike.
God forbid you race your 15lb CF uber-bike. -- Jay Beattie.