Need advice on Trek or Giant

Ando

Apr 23, 2003
I am looking at upgrading my 15yr old road bike (Shimano 600, Jim Bundy steel frame) and can't decide between 2 models, Trek 2300 and Giant TCR 1. The Giant is abt $700 cheaper and has the same group set but Trek do seem to have a great name in the market. Any advice or options on reliability/quality etc would be really appreciated. BTW I do abt 150km/week on the bike and hope to increase this over the next 6mths. Thanks guys.

My advice:neither. Look at the Cannondale R 1000 or the R2000-with a CAAD 7 frame.

Originally posted by Ando
I am looking at upgrading my 15yr old road bike (Shimano 600, Jim Bundy steel frame) and can't decide between 2 models, Trek 2300 and Giant TCR 1. The Giant is abt $700 cheaper and has the same group set but Trek do seem to have a great name in the market. Any advice or options on reliability/quality etc would be really appreciated. BTW I do abt 150km/week on the bike and hope to increase this over the next 6mths. Thanks guys.
Different type frames to so ride each.I like the R1000 to,all ultegra with ksyrium elites,supergo has them for 1450.

Originally posted by Ando

I am going through exactly the same process with the same bikes. Some items worthy of note. Prices are coming down monthly here in the US on Tek 2300 as the 2004 model of this bike will be different. I saw yesterday from an authourised US dealer the 2003 Trek 2300 for US $1,699. VERY reliable rumours say that Trek will be going to carbon seat stays and other changes on the 2300. On the subject of carbon seat stays it might also be worth your while looking at Klein Q-Carbon. Not as big a name on the race circuit but very nice models (Race and Team) and backed by Trek.

I agree with other recommendation of Cannondale - only possible negatives are they seem to still be in bankruptcy proceedings and I have heard of late delivery problems. The price difference between Trek and Giant is hard to justify except you need to take a close look at the Giant specs as there are a couple of components that are simply not equivalent to Trek.

I have a 2003 Trek 2200 I realize not an Identical bike however for what it's worth the bike is excellent, I have about 1600Km so far and it's been great. Good luck !!!

Between the Giant and the Trek I think the clincher would be in the test ride. The bikes are similar enough. Go with the one that feels best to you.