Need advice on wheels.

Stipe858

Oct 14, 2009
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I am currently in the process of building up a bike. I have a Cannondale CAAD 8 frame with full Campy Chorus 10s. UT BB. I have everything for the build, but the wheels. I have about $350 left to spen on wheels. I am not a serious racer but i do plan to ride about 100 to 150 miles a week. I am currently looking at a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 Evolution wheels from Total Cycling for $250. My concern is would they stand up to everyday riding. I weigh 205lbs and ride on mostley perfectly smooth road? Anybody have any experiences with these wheels or suggestions on others would be greatly appreciated.

Stipe858 said:
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I am currently in the process of building up a bike. I have a Cannondale CAAD 8 frame with full Campy Chorus 10s. UT BB. I have everything for the build, but the wheels. I have about $350 left to spen on wheels. I am not a serious racer but i do plan to ride about 100 to 150 miles a week. I am currently looking at a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 Evolution wheels from Total Cycling for $250. My concern is would they stand up to everyday riding. I weigh 205lbs and ride on mostley perfectly smooth road? Anybody have any experiences with these wheels or suggestions on others would be greatly appreciated.

You might get by on 'em.......or you might not. Low spoke count wheels aren't the ideal solution for a 205 lb guy, especially when those wheels are everyday wheels.

Your best bet would be to have a custom set of wheels built for you. Then you could have a set of wheels that was built to work for you and likely to cost all that much. I'm sure Peter from Vecchio's will chime in as soon as morning comes.

Stipe858 said:

Wheelsouttaboxes are desined for the people n the middle of the bel curve in terms of rider weight.
I think any low spoke count wheel for you would not be ideal. Talk to a local wheelbuilder and have them design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs. For that $, Velocity hubs, Velocity Fusion rims, Dt RR 1.1(double eyelet-32h), Mavic CXP-33. 36 rear, 32 front, 14/15 spokes, brass nipples, laced 3 cross thruout, built well, of course.

Stipe858 said:

Add me to the chorus urging you away from low spoke pre-built wheels.

For your dough, you'd do better with traditional hand built wheels, which will not only hold up better and be less costly to maintain, but will be far less expensive to rebuild when the time comes.

BTW- nothing can compare to the ride of a properly built set of wheels matched to your weight and riding style.