Need advice - Pinarello V Colnago

littlemike

Dec 18, 2003
Hi,
I am a triathlete competing mainly in the olympic distance.
Am 6" -165 Pounds
Have a budget of abuot $3000 for a new frame.
Which frame would you reccomend (Prince SL, C40 or other)
Am open for other suggestions as well

Cheers
Mike

Originally posted by littlemike
Hi,
Am 6" -165 Pounds

Cheers
Mike

c40 have weight limit of 93 kgs i would go for the c40 as i have never experenced a smother faster bike than the one i ride

Hi,
Am 6" -165 Pounds

Cheers
Mike

I'd go for the new Colnago C50 -- stiffer than the C40, better power transmission, great traction on rough pavement with the new HP stays. About $2800 frame & fork from Maestro in the UK, who ships to the USA a lot. I love mine !!!!!

[Forgot to mention -- you need to try both bikes. I find the Colnago handling MUCH better -- faster, more responsive, than the Pinarello.

Originally posted by Bititanio
I'd go for the new Colnago C50 -- stiffer than the C40, better power transmission, great traction on rough pavement with the new HP stays. About $2800 frame & fork from Maestro in the UK, who ships to the USA a lot. I love mine !!!!!

Thanks Bititanio for your input
Love your bike :)
Cheers
Mike

I'm sure both are great. My C40 HP is excellent. Of course, theycame out with the C50 days after I placed my order for a C40 at Maestro! If you are in the US, don't forget shipping and duty. That's about another $400.

Here's another question... why either of them for tri? Can't get in the aero position on a 73d seat tube!

Originally posted by Aztec
I'm sure both are great. My C40 HP is excellent. Of course, theycame out with the C50 days after I placed my order for a C40 at Maestro! If you are in the US, don't forget shipping and duty. That's about another $400.

Here's another question... why either of them for tri? Can't get in the aero position on a 73d seat tube!
Hi Aztec,
Good question :)
Was debating if to go for tri or regular
Currently ride special edition of carbon gian with Aerobars.
Any ideas / thoughts?
Cheers
Mike

Have you looked at the Look 486? its geometry can put you in for both road/tri.

I must say though that, a true TT geometry bike, will give you a more confy aero position on long rides TT style.
If you're on a road bike with aero bars, you can, but it's just not the same.

Hi Aztec,
Good question :)
Was debating if to go for tri or regular
Currently ride special edition of carbon gian with Aerobars.
Any ideas / thoughts?
Cheers
Mike

Why would you NOT get a tri/TT-specific ride if you already have a road bike? If you do tri events for real (as in you are about your results), then definitely go w/ tri geometry. You absolutely cannot make a 73d seat tube work for the aero position. What you'd end up doing is jamming the seat all the way forward -- and you can find a seatpost without offset to make it move even farther forward giving you a steeper effective seat tube angle. That part sorta works, and gets you to maybe 75 or even 76 degrees. Most tri seat tubes are closer to 78 degrees though. Your next battle is to get the aero bars low enough. Usually, you can't do this on a road bike because the head tube is too high up, so you aren't down low enough to get much aero benefit.

You can think of the aero position as the road position, just rotated forward from your feet. Your leg/hip angle should be the same as your road position. But that's almost impossible on a road bike, and instead you just end up with a tighter leg/hip angle and/or bars too high.

Check out timetrial.com. It's Cervelo's site. They do some explaining of this stuff. I'd consider their bikes, as well as see if Colnago makes a time trial or tri-geometry frame (I think they do). The upside from the Cervelo is that you'd have a WHOLE BIKE for the price of just the Colnago frame...

Originally posted by Aztec
Why would you NOT get a tri/TT-specific ride if you already have a road bike? If you do tri events for real (as in you are about your results), then definitely go w/ tri geometry. You absolutely cannot make a 73d seat tube work for the aero position. What you'd end up doing is jamming the seat all the way forward -- and you can find a seatpost without offset to make it move even farther forward giving you a steeper effective seat tube angle. That part sorta works, and gets you to maybe 75 or even 76 degrees. Most tri seat tubes are closer to 78 degrees though. Your next battle is to get the aero bars low enough. Usually, you can't do this on a road bike because the head tube is too high up, so you aren't down low enough to get much aero benefit.

You can think of the aero position as the road position, just rotated forward from your feet. Your leg/hip angle should be the same as your road position. But that's almost impossible on a road bike, and instead you just end up with a tighter leg/hip angle and/or bars too high.

Check out timetrial.com. It's Cervelo's site. They do some explaining of this stuff. I'd consider their bikes, as well as see if Colnago makes a time trial or tri-geometry frame (I think they do). The upside from the Cervelo is that you'd have a WHOLE BIKE for the price of just the Colnago frame...

Hi Aztec,
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Today soemone told me I should have a look at Wilier bike -Team Crono
www.wilier.it
The frame will be about $3,000....
I must admit they look great :)
Do you have an experience with Cervelo frame?
Cheers
Mike

Nope, just familiar with it. I'm eyeing a Cervelo Dual for TT-style training and use.

You really should see a pro fitter and have them tell you whether you can get away with a 76d seat tube or if you need more. It all depends on how aggressive of a position on the bike you want.

I had the same question and went with the Pinarello Chrono. It is the same $ as the prince, but I prefered the geometry for racing. So you will save a little money from either of those options

Originally posted by cneal007
I had the same question and went with the Pinarello Chrono. It is the same $ as the prince, but I prefered the geometry for racing. So you will save a little money from either of those options
Thanks for the feedback 007

Bititanio said:

*BEWARE* - MAESTRO may be cheap but they are not an official Colnago dealer!
If something goes wrong with the frame you will be left high and dry.

GianniDoe said:
*BEWARE* - MAESTRO may be cheap but they are not an official Colnago dealer!
If something goes wrong with the frame you will be left high and dry.

I wouldnt worry about that with Maestro, I crashed and damaged a frame and he got he repaired for me for a minimal cost and I've heard similar reports from other people.If its within his power he'll help you.