need advice please :-\

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Worried21, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Worried21

    Worried21 Guest

    Hi, I've got alot of questions about stuff and these newsgroups look to be the best place to ask.

    Basically the problem is this. (this is a very long post so i apologise, i tend to ramble on alot)

    Im 21 and I weigh 11.5 stone. When i was 11 i weighed 11, at age 12 i was 12 etc. this carried on
    until I was 15 and weighed 15 stone, i stayed at this weight till i was 18/19. I was teased alot at
    school and i hated my weight issue. Especially since girls said i had a really nice face, but my
    body was too fat (kids are cruel!!).

    Around 19 years old I had a big breakdown. I was very depressed due to lots of problems in my life
    and in my past, one of which being my weight issue. I hardly ate. I had a few 'ryevetas' (cant spell
    it, u know what i mean, rye crackers) a day and lots of water. thats it. I did this for 4 months and
    went from 15 stone to about 10. I thought I looked fat still but my friend said i was too thin and u
    could see my chest too much (i have a bit of a pigeon chest so it looked bad). I eventually agreed
    that at 6 feet tall 10 stone wasnt enough. Regardless I was gloriously happy to have lost all the
    weight. The reason i thought i was still fat was cause on my stomach i had excess skin, which i
    presumed to be fat, but its just loose skin. This made me feel even worse, i cried all the time
    worrying that I have ruined my body. My bum is flat, its just saggy skin. It looks like the bum of a
    50 y/o man, not a 21 y/o. Its just handfulls of skin and it makes me sick. Im not being big headed
    but im very good looking, i know i am and people dont understand why i have no confidence.

    Its hard cause im in drama school and this world is so much about looks and looking good, especially
    in the entertainment business. What hope do i have of been a good lookin actor guy with this messed
    up body :-( I know alot of you will say its my own fault and I ruined my body, but i know this. It
    annoys me cause I see this guy in my class and hes a bit podgy (like me now) but his bum is all
    round and full and id adore to have that, mine is just flat and saggy with a crease at the bottom.

    So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but that does not clear it away.
    Should I put weight back on then lose it slowly so the skin can tighten?? I have been offered
    modeling work a few times but i have no confidence, and i know that when they see my upper body ill
    be laughed at :-(

    Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to improve their look is vain in a
    way. I just want to look like other young guys, not a middle aged man.

    Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to understand how much this worrys me.

    Worried guy.

    Tags:

  2. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:18:11 -0000, "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I've got alot of questions about stuff and these newsgroups look to be the best place to ask.
    >
    >Basically the problem is this. (this is a very long post so i apologise, i tend to ramble on alot)
    >
    >Im 21 and I weigh 11.5 stone. When i was 11 i weighed 11, at age 12 i was 12 etc. this carried on
    >until I was 15 and weighed 15 stone, i stayed at this weight till i was 18/19. I was teased alot at
    >school and i hated my weight issue. Especially since girls said i had a really nice face, but my
    >body was too fat (kids are cruel!!).

    >So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but that does not clear it away.

    You are 21, 6 feet tall, and 161 pounds, and you think you've put on muscle! No way. You have done
    some silly things (like a starvation diet) but I doubt you have ruined your life or your body. You
    have great things ahead of you, all you have to do is want them enough.

    I think you need to build some real muscle, and you will be amazed at what your body will look
    like then.

    http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Beginning.html

    These two sites will tell you how to lift some weights.

    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ This site will tell you something about nutrition.

    Take a look at the misc.fitness.weights newsgroup, but please read there first for at least a week
    or they will crucify you.

    I was nearly 20 stone a year ago and about as unfit as it's possible to get and still push a mouse
    about. I have seen how my body has changed in a year as I've lost a shedload of weight and got a lot
    fitter. I still don't quite believe it, but It's possible with a lot of effort..

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

  3. Welcome Worried. I haven't lost enough yet to know if I'll be plagued with extra skin so can't give
    you any first-hand advice. I figure though, that you didn't have the best eating habits when you
    had the excess weight and then the cracker diet wasn't good nutrition, certainly. Are you eating a
    healthful, balanced diet these days? If not, I think the Weight Watchers way of eating would
    benefit you greatly and maybe help with the skin and muscle tone. Congratulations on losing the
    extra weight.
    --
    WatchingWorks
    190/167/130 Drop some weight to reply "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    now)
    > but his bum is all round and full and id adore to have that, mine is just flat and saggy with a
    > crease at the bottom.
    >
    > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    that
    > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it slowly so the skin can tighten??
    > I have been offered modeling work a few times but i have no confidence, and i know that when they
    > see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    >
    > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    improve
    > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young guys,
    not
    > a middle aged man.
    >
    > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to understand how much this worrys me.

  4. One of the best things I've heard works for sagging skin is time, building muscle, and time. Don't
    put the weight back on, keep building the muscle and give yourself time--your skin will eventually
    "spring" back. I've heard it can take well over 6 months to a year sometimes depending on age (your
    young, that's good) and how dry your skin is (use mosturizer if it's dry and drink lots of water).

    Taking the time to change your eating habits so that you are eating better will help also, but most
    importantly work on your self confidence. Everyone deserves to be confident, including you!! Put the
    past behind you the best you can (I know, easier said than done) and tell yourself you deserve to be
    happy. When you start loving yourself and feel confidence in yourself others will see that and be
    confident in you. Come here and post often when you have successes--you'll get lots of congratulations--
    and when you have hard times--you'll get lots of support. I know lots of the people on this board
    would help you with that self confidence issue!!! The other great thing about the people on this
    board is they don't judge hard, just motivate (and kick your butt into gear when needed!!!) in
    loving ways!!!

    Good Luck!!! I'm on your side!!!

    --
    Janice
    263/252/150 (maybe 130)

> [...]
    now)
    > but his bum is all round and full and id adore to have that, mine is just flat and saggy with a
    > crease at the bottom.
    >
    > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    that
    > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it slowly so the skin can tighten??
    > I have been offered modeling work a few times but i have no confidence, and i know that when they
    > see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    >
    > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    improve
    > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young guys,
    not
    > a middle aged man.
    >
    > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to understand how much this worrys me.

  5. first of all, what is done is done, so start from where you are and don't
    punish yourself for the past, it accomplishes not one thing. I am not sure
    how long it has been since you have lost your weight but it can take up to
    two years to have your skin adjust. My advice to you is to learn how to eat
    properly now so you do not regain the weight and have to go through it all
    gain. You might want to MAKE yourself take some of that modeling work so
    you can save in case the skin does not shrink and you have to seek medical
    alternatives. We all have confidence issues, we all are insecure because we
    have lost weight and have a different body from what we are used to and we
    all get through it eating healthy or we regain, I am pulling for you to
    learn to eat properly and stay thin and get fit, Good luck, Lee
> [...]
    now)
    > but his bum is all round and full and id adore to have that, mine is just flat and saggy with a
    > crease at the bottom.
    >
    > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    that
    > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it slowly so the skin can tighten??
    > I have been offered modeling work a few times but i have no confidence, and i know that when they
    > see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    >
    > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    improve
    > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young guys,
    not
    > a middle aged man.
    >
    > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to understand how much this worrys me.

  6. Mette

    Mette Guest

    I am 26. I am a woman. I had a baby 5 years ago and I lost 50 lbs. Now, my loose belly skin will
    probably always be there. When I weighed 97 pounds it was like a little loose bag of skin hanging
    off my stomach (not to mention the two flat socks with a dime in each I was carrying around for
    breasts). Now I have gained 20 lbs since then I am now at 118 and voila: my breast are completely
    full and my tummy is not loose anymore. On the other hand: my belly is now sticking out, I lost my
    waiste and I can't fit into my pants.

    I feel I have the choice between breasts & tight belly skin and being thin. Not an easy choice. I am
    opting for a middle ground at 108 lbs.

    My point is: Since you are a guy and your skin has not strecthed from here to eternity due to
    pregnancy, it will probably bounce back over time - especially if you start building a whole lot of
    muscle. But we must realize that we don't all get to be on the cover of "Sport Illustrated" although
    we are now slim and fit. Because our bodies have taken a toll when we were overweight and it shows.
    But don't worry - life shows - this is life.

    :eek:)

    Mette - who hardly notices her saggy skin or stretchmarks anylonger...

  7. Worried21

    Worried21 Guest

    Thank you for your advice and kind words.

    Best wishes :)

    "ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:18:11 -0000, "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, I've got alot of questions about stuff and these newsgroups look to
    be
    > >the best place to ask.
    > >
    > >Basically the problem is this. (this is a very long post so i apologise,
    > >tend to ramble on alot)
    > >
    > >Im 21 and I weigh 11.5 stone. When i was 11 i weighed 11, at age 12 i was
    12
    > >etc. this carried on until I was 15 and weighed 15 stone, i stayed at
    this
    > >weight till i was 18/19. I was teased alot at school and i hated my
    weight
    > >issue. Especially since girls said i had a really nice face, but my body
    was
    > >too fat (kids are cruel!!).
    >
    > >So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    that
    > >does not clear it away.
    >
    > You are 21, 6 feet tall, and 161 pounds, and you think you've put on muscle! No way. You have done
    > some silly things (like a starvation diet) but I doubt you have ruined your life or your body. You
    > have great things ahead of you, all you have to do is want them enough.
    >
    > I think you need to build some real muscle, and you will be amazed at what your body will look
    > like then.
    >
    > http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Beginning.html
    >
    > These two sites will tell you how to lift some weights.
    >
    > http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ This site will tell you something about nutrition.
    >
    > Take a look at the misc.fitness.weights newsgroup, but please read there first for at least a week
    > or they will crucify you.
    >
    > I was nearly 20 stone a year ago and about as unfit as it's possible to get and still push a mouse
    > about. I have seen how my body has changed in a year as I've lost a shedload of weight and got a
    > lot fitter. I still don't quite believe it, but It's possible with a lot of effort..
    >
    > Ray
    > --
    > rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

  8. Worried21

    Worried21 Guest

    Im not eating a very good diet. I've been so busy with my 2nd year drama performance the last few
    months, but i know this is just an excuse. Im going to stop smoking (!!) and eat well, and I will
    look good in the end. If it want it I will get it in the end!

    Thank you

    "WatchingWorks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > now)
    > > but his bum is all round and full and id adore to have that, mine is
    just
    > > flat and saggy with a crease at the bottom.
    > >
    > > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    > that
    > > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it slowly
    so
    > > the skin can tighten?? I have been offered modeling work a few times but
    > > have no confidence, and i know that when they see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    > >
    > > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    > improve
    > > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young guys,
    > not
    > > a middle aged man.
    > >
    > > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to

  9. Worried21

    Worried21 Guest

    Thank you :)

    I need my butt kicking sometimes!

    "Janice Kennish" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]_s52...
> [...]
    > now)
    > > but his bum is all round and full and id adore to have that, mine is
    just
    > > flat and saggy with a crease at the bottom.
    > >
    > > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    > that
    > > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it slowly
    so
    > > the skin can tighten?? I have been offered modeling work a few times but
    > > have no confidence, and i know that when they see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    > >
    > > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    > improve
    > > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young guys,
    > not
    > > a middle aged man.
    > >
    > > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to

  10. Worried21

    Worried21 Guest

    I do need a good diet. I had irregular sleeping pattersn due to funny working times and school
    times. Regardless today I am starting. No smoking, no drinking (apart from JD!), lots of water (no
    coke). No crisps, no chocolate.

    I need to try and find out what to eat now for a well balanced diet. I know that when i eat properly
    the weight falls off me, which would be helpful to get rid of this fatty belly i have.

    Obvious stuff is easy, no fatty foods, no fast foods, no sugery drinks etc. I guess im safe to stick
    to salad's, pasta, potatoes, fish ermmmmm and other stuff that is common sense that its good to eat!

    "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
> [...]
    > now)
    > > but his bum is all round and full and id adore to have that, mine is
    just
    > > flat and saggy with a crease at the bottom.
    > >
    > > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    > that
    > > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it slowly
    so
    > > the skin can tighten?? I have been offered modeling work a few times but
    > > have no confidence, and i know that when they see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    > >
    > > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    > improve
    > > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young guys,
    > not
    > > a middle aged man.
    > >
    > > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to

  11. Celtic Gal \

    Celtic Gal \ Guest

    GR8 attitude Mette :) From one mother to another ;-) Vanessa In OZ :) Overall (Was 273- Current
    214- Goal 160 to 140)

    "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[...]

  12. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 02:00:00 -0000, "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thank you for your advice and kind words.

    Sorry I was a bit harsh. Dietting drastically loses muscle as well as fat. It is possible to get the
    muscle back but it will take time and determination. The skin will adjust too. But it all takes
    time. Get back in the gym and let us know how you get on.

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

  13. I have found that eating sensibly has worked. I don't follow a "diet" per-say. I work out with
    weights 3 times a week and I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full, and eat what I crave. I have
    found I don't eat as much since starting this, I tend to crave "good" foods--fruit, vegi's, etc...--
    and I'm continuing to lose about 1-2 pounds a week. The nice thing about this is I won't have to
    worry about whether or not eating a candy bar will cause me to gain weight--I don't even want a
    whole candy bar anymore, usually half will get me by for the day or two!!! It may take me longer to
    reach my goal but it's worth it to me to have new eating habits and be able to eat what I want!!!

    --
    Janice
    263/252/150 (maybe 130)

> [...]
    > just
    > > > flat and saggy with a crease at the bottom.
    > > >
    > > > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    > > that
    > > > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it
    slowly
    > so
    > > > the skin can tighten?? I have been offered modeling work a few times
    but
    > > > have no confidence, and i know that when they see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    > > >
    > > > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    > > improve
    > > > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young
    guys,
    > > not
    > > > a middle aged man.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to

  14. I am gonna criticize you just a bit, hope it doesn't offend you, you sound
    like I used to ... lots of changes in your post. That is good that you have
    identified things that need to be changed, and working on them is great too,
    but remember it is NOT all or nothing. I am trying to say don't get trapped
    by having to be perfect. If you have identified where you need to change
    then work on the things just don't quit if you can't do them all at once,
    you can read and learn what the best food plan is for you and writing down
    what you eat as you eat it is the best way to figure out what you are
    currently doing and where you need to make changes, again, good luck, Lee
> [...]
    > just
    > > > flat and saggy with a crease at the bottom.
    > > >
    > > > So I want to know what to do. Ive been to the gym and built muscle but
    > > that
    > > > does not clear it away. Should I put weight back on then lose it
    slowly
    > so
    > > > the skin can tighten?? I have been offered modeling work a few times
    but
    > > > have no confidence, and i know that when they see my upper body ill be laughed at :-(
    > > >
    > > > Reading this i sound vain, i am in a way, but everyone who wants to
    > > improve
    > > > their look is vain in a way. I just want to look like other young
    guys,
    > > not
    > > > a middle aged man.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you for reading this and before you judge me try hard to

  15. Worried21

    Worried21 Guest

    You were a bit harsh but that helps me, motivation. I can be a lazy SOB sometimes and i need a kick
    upthe rear!

    I must confess, I think my stomach is not all skin. I got so used to it being skin i now put my
    belly down to skin, i didnt realise that in the past year it has tightened and the reason its still
    there is cause im a little fat.... I got so used to it being loose and flabby, i didnt realise that
    its quite solid now so it must be fat :-\ Also realise that I lost all my muscle when i did my big
    diet. Probably best to cut before i bulk, get rid of the belly so the muscle can show easily.

    "ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 02:00:00 -0000, "Worried21" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you for your advice and kind words.
    >
    > Sorry I was a bit harsh. Dietting drastically loses muscle as well as fat. It is possible to get
    > the muscle back but it will take time and determination. The skin will adjust too. But it all
    > takes time. Get back in the gym and let us know how you get on.
    >
    > Ray
    > --
    > rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

  16. this is very sensible, Lee
    Janice Kennish <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s53...
> [...]
    > > > two years to have your skin adjust. My advice to you is to learn how
    > > eat
    > > > properly now so you do not regain the weight and have to go through it
    > all
    > > > gain. You might want to MAKE yourself take some of that modeling work
    > so
    > > > you can save in case the skin does not shrink and you have to seek
    > medical
    > > > alternatives. We all have confidence issues, we all are insecure
    > because
    > > we
    > > > have lost weight and have a different body from what we are used to
    and
    > we
    > > > all get through it eating healthy or we regain, I am pulling for you
    > > > learn to eat properly and stay thin and get fit, Good luck, Lee Worried21 <[email protected]>

  17. i have iregular sleeping patterns as well. I work mid nights actually from 11 - 7 in the morning. i
    usually wgo to bed at about 8 maybe 9 sometimes later if we have something to do. I eat breakfast no
    matter what time a day it is that i wake up. then i usually go back to bed for another couple of hrs
    and then when i wake up the next time i have my lunch. and then the pattern continues. I treat my
    working nights as if i was eating regular during the day. if i wasn't working nights.If that makes
    any sence. i get my exercise at work because i work at tim hortons. and i am running constently,
    also i walk to and from work, and take the stairs to my apartment. i try to go for walks when i can.
    the weather however has been bad the last couple of days. snow storm one day, and freezing rain
    today. hoping the weather gets better soon so i can get out and do my walking again. but even though
    my days are all mixed up because of my night shift. but i don't let that stop me from trying to lose
    the weight that i want to lose. Anyway, don't give up keep working on it and you will get to where
    you want to be it just takes time.

    Angie "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
> [...]
    > > > two years to have your skin adjust. My advice to you is to learn how
    > > eat
    > > > properly now so you do not regain the weight and have to go through it
    > all
    > > > gain. You might want to MAKE yourself take some of that modeling work
    > so
    > > > you can save in case the skin does not shrink and you have to seek
    > medical
    > > > alternatives. We all have confidence issues, we all are insecure
    > because
    > > we
    > > > have lost weight and have a different body from what we are used to
    and
    > we
    > > > all get through it eating healthy or we regain, I am pulling for you
    > > > learn to eat properly and stay thin and get fit, Good luck, Lee Worried21 <[email protected]>

  18. Nathalie W

    Nathalie W Guest

    Well look who 's here... hi Vanessa, how have you been ? Great to see you back!
    --
    Nathalie from Belgium
    134.1/100.2/minigoal 99.9 Goal 68 Kg

    news:[email protected]...