Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe

Melba's Jammin

Guest
Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores. What
can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available --
IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.

I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Bran Muffins #2

Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda

Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream sugar
and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran mixture.
Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin tins at 375°
for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen muffins.

‹‹‹‹‹ Notes: Source: Jean, February 25, 1984.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 108 Calories; 4g Fat (30% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 17g
Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 52mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat;
1/2 Other Carbohydrates
_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
> What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
> -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
>
> I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
>
> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Bran Muffins #2
>
> Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
> cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
> shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda
>
> Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream
> sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran
> mixture. Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin
> tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen
> muffins.
>
> ‹‹‹‹‹ Notes: Source: Jean, February 25, 1984.
>

> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 108 Calories; 4g Fat (30% calories from fat); 2g Protein;
> 17g Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 52mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2
> Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
> _____

Want me to send some up? I've got to get this frigging salsa in the mail to you and Jack anyway. We
get All-Bran for sure. I'm not positive about the Bran-Buds though. I would think any of the high
fibre type of cereals would work.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
> What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
> -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
>
> I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
>
> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Bran Muffins #2
>
> Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
> cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
> shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda
>
> Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream
> sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran
> mixture. Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin
> tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen
> muffins.

I have a *very* similar recipe that uses whole wheat flour for much of the bran; therefore it won't
make much difference what kind of bran you use. Just use bran flakes. Lessee if I have the file here
at work...

Refrigerator Muffins

5C whole wheat flour 1 1/2C bran 2 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. salt 2C brown sugar (I like dark brown) 4
eggs, beaten 1C oil 1 quart buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk and mix until blended.
May be stored in covered container in refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in
lightly greased muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

Best regards, Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
>> What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
>> -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
>>
>> I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
>>
>> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>
>> Bran Muffins #2
>>
>> Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
>> cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
>> shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda
>>
>> Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream
>> sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran
>> mixture. Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin
>> tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen
>> muffins.
>

> I have a *very* similar recipe that uses whole wheat flour for much of the bran; therefore it
> won't make much difference what kind of bran you use. Just use bran flakes. Lessee if I have the
> file here at work...
>

> Refrigerator Muffins
>
> 5C whole wheat flour 1 1/2C bran 2 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. salt 2C brown sugar (I like dark brown)
> 4 eggs, beaten 1C oil 1 quart buttermilk
>
> Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk and mix until blended.
> May be stored in covered container in refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in
> lightly greased muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
> Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
>
> Best regards, Bob

Same recipe as with my Hodgson's Mill whole wheat bran.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>Refrigerator Muffins
>>
>>5C whole wheat flour 1 1/2C bran 2 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. salt 2C brown sugar (I like dark brown)
>>4 eggs, beaten 1C oil 1 quart buttermilk
>>
>>Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk and mix until blended.
>>May be stored in covered container in refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in
>>lightly greased muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
>>Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
>>
>>Best regards, Bob
>

> Same recipe as with my Hodgson's Mill whole wheat bran.
>
> Jill

I got it from a recipe card that was tucked in my electric bill about 15 years ago. It just made so
much sense to use WW flour and brown sugar instead of white flour plus expensive bran cereal and
white suger plus molasses. I think I used Pilsbury WW flour and that dry sawdust-like wheat bran
from the health food store last time I made these.

-Bob

In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in news:barbschaller-
> [email protected]:
>
> > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
> > What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran
> > available -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
> >
> > I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
> >
> > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> >
> > Bran Muffins #2

> > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran
> > Buds cereal
(snip)
> Want me to send some up? I've got to get this frigging salsa in the mail to you and Jack anyway.
> We get All-Bran for sure. I'm not positive about the Bran-Buds though. I would think any of the
> high fibre type of cereals would work.
>
> Michael

Nah, I've got the All-Bran. It's the 100% Bran or Bran Buds that may have been discontinued.
Thanks anyway.
--

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
> What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
> -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
>
> I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies

Can'tcha just drink prune juice instead?

;-) gloria p

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.

Bran Buds sounds like Grape Nuts, perhaps you could give them a ride in the blender.

nancy

>> co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it was a light and
>> flaky thang.

---------------------
Kellogg's All-Bran isn't "flaky"--it looks like (sorry) little worms. Wonderful for baking. Grape
Nuts isn't (aren't) pure bran--it's a mixture. Nancree

[email protected] (Nancree) wrote in news:20040301202626.15181.00000680@mb-
m18.aol.com:

>>> co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky
>>> thang.
>
> ---------------------
> Kellogg's All-Bran isn't "flaky"--it looks like (sorry) little worms. Wonderful for baking. Grape
> Nuts isn't (aren't) pure bran--it's a mixture. Nancree

Isn't it Post All-Bran that looks like the worms?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
> > What can I substitute? I do have a food

> Can'tcha just drink prune juice instead? ;-) gloria p

:p Wiseacre!
--

Nancy Young <[email protected]> writes:

>From: Nancy Young <[email protected]> Newsgroups: rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-
>chat Subject: Re: Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:43:01 -0500
>
>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
>
>Bran Buds sounds like Grape Nuts, perhaps you could give them a ride in the blender.

Bran cereal like "Bran Buds" or "100% Bran" or "All-Bran" consist of whole wheat bran and sugar (and
some malt, corn syrup sweetener, salt and "enriched" with vitamins and minerals).

Grape Nuts, on the other hand, are quite hard and crunchy. They are made from wheat flour (rather
than wheat bran) and sweeteners and are manufactured by baking, made into crumbs and finally toasted
until hard. Grape Nuts are much lower in fiber than the bran cereals.

Generally, ready-to-eat commercial bran cereals are used in making bran muffins because they are
widely available and easy to moisten and fold into the muffin batter. But their function is to add
wheat bran fiber and they provide a little sweetener as a bonus.

You should be able to substitue wheat bran (usually available where health foods are sold, or sold
as a cooked cereal to be prepared like oatmeal, or sometimes with baking supplies.) Just soak the
wheat bran in place of the Bran Buds cereal and increase the amount of sugar in the recipe.

Cheers, The Old Bear

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
> What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
> -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.

<snipped>
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

Dora

limey wrote:

> Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:

Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is NUMBER
TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!

(laughing) nancy

Nancy Young wrote:

> limey wrote:
>
> > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.
>
> Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
>
> Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is NUMBER
> TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!

Wait, I forgot, Dennis Wolfberg was the original Quiznos model!

nancy (if you never saw him, you won't know why that's funny)

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> limey wrote:
>
> > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.
>
> Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
>
> Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is NUMBER
> TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!
>
> (laughing) nancy

You've got that right! Spoken by one who knows!

Dora

limey wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > limey wrote:
> >
> > > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.
> >
> > Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
> >
> > Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is
> > NUMBER TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!
> >
> > (laughing) nancy
>
> You've got that right! Spoken by one who knows!
>
> Dora

I still miss him and his Quiznos eyes.

nancy

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote>

Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
> the local grocery stores. What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I
> believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.

<snipped>

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Here's one example of the use of Fiber One, Barb:

HIGH FIBER COOKIES Categories : Diabetic Desserts Cookies

1 c Oat bran

1 c Rolled oats

1 c Fiber One cereal

1 c Kellogg's bran flakes

1 c Seedless raisins

1 c Chopped English walnuts

3/4 c Sugar

4/4 c Brown sugar

1 c Margarine (2 sticks)

2 Large egg whites

2 ts Vanilla

2 c All purpose flour

1 t Baking powder 1 t Baking soda

5/2 ts Salt

6/2 c Water at room temp

Place oat bran, rolled oats, Fiber one, bran flakes, raisins and walnuts in a bowl. Mix lightly and
set aside.

Place sugars and margarine in mixing bowl and mix at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg
whites and vanilla and mix lightly scraping the bowl before and after adding the egg whites. In a
separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt and mix at low speed about 1/2 min to
blend well. Add flour mixture and water to sugar mixture and mix at medium speed only until flour is
moistened. Add bran mixture and mix at medium speed until well blended.

Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined
with aluminum foil. Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let
sit for 1 minute. Remove cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Dora

Have u tried 2 get the Bran or Bran Buds from a health food shop?