Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores. What
    can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available --
    IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.

    I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies

    { Exported from MasterCook Mac }

    Bran Muffins #2

    Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads

    Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
    cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
    shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda

    Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream sugar
    and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran mixture.
    Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin tins at 375°
    for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen muffins.

    ‹‹‹‹‹ Notes: Source: Jean, February 25, 1984.

    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 108 Calories; 4g Fat (30% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 17g
    Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 52mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat;
    1/2 Other Carbohydrates
    _____
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Tags:

  2. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:barbschaller-E[email protected]:

    > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    > What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
    > -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
    >
    > I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
    >
    > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
    >
    > Bran Muffins #2
    >
    > Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads
    >
    > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
    > cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
    > shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda
    >
    > Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream
    > sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran
    > mixture. Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin
    > tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen
    > muffins.
    >
    > ‹‹‹‹‹ Notes: Source: Jean, February 25, 1984.
    >

    > Per serving (excluding unknown items): 108 Calories; 4g Fat (30% calories from fat); 2g Protein;
    > 17g Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 52mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2
    > Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
    > _____

    Want me to send some up? I've got to get this frigging salsa in the mail to you and Jack anyway. We
    get All-Bran for sure. I'm not positive about the Bran-Buds though. I would think any of the high
    fibre type of cereals would work.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  3. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    > What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
    > -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
    >
    > I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
    >
    > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
    >
    > Bran Muffins #2
    >
    > Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads
    >
    > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
    > cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
    > shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda
    >
    > Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream
    > sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran
    > mixture. Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin
    > tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen
    > muffins.

    I have a *very* similar recipe that uses whole wheat flour for much of the bran; therefore it won't
    make much difference what kind of bran you use. Just use bran flakes. Lessee if I have the file here
    at work...

    Refrigerator Muffins

    5C whole wheat flour 1 1/2C bran 2 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. salt 2C brown sugar (I like dark brown) 4
    eggs, beaten 1C oil 1 quart buttermilk

    Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk and mix until blended.
    May be stored in covered container in refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in
    lightly greased muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
    Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

    Best regards, Bob

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    >> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    >> What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
    >> -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
    >>
    >> I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
    >>
    >> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
    >>
    >> Bran Muffins #2
    >>
    >> Recipe By: Serving Size: 66 Preparation Time: 0:00 Categories: Quick Breads
    >>
    >> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds
    >> cereal 1 tsp. salt 2 cups boiling water 5 cups flour 1 quart buttermilk 3 cups sugar 1 cup
    >> shortening 4 eggs 5 tsp. soda
    >>
    >> Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let cool to lukewarm. Cream
    >> sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran
    >> mixture. Mix soda and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased muffin
    >> tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2 weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen
    >> muffins.
    >

    > I have a *very* similar recipe that uses whole wheat flour for much of the bran; therefore it
    > won't make much difference what kind of bran you use. Just use bran flakes. Lessee if I have the
    > file here at work...
    >

    > Refrigerator Muffins
    >
    > 5C whole wheat flour 1 1/2C bran 2 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. salt 2C brown sugar (I like dark brown)
    > 4 eggs, beaten 1C oil 1 quart buttermilk
    >
    > Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk and mix until blended.
    > May be stored in covered container in refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in
    > lightly greased muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
    > Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Same recipe as with my Hodgson's Mill whole wheat bran.

    Jill

  5. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > zxcvbob wrote:
    >

    >>Refrigerator Muffins
    >>
    >>5C whole wheat flour 1 1/2C bran 2 tsp. baking soda 2 tsp. salt 2C brown sugar (I like dark brown)
    >>4 eggs, beaten 1C oil 1 quart buttermilk
    >>
    >>Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk and mix until blended.
    >>May be stored in covered container in refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in
    >>lightly greased muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
    >>Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
    >>
    >>Best regards, Bob
    >

    > Same recipe as with my Hodgson's Mill whole wheat bran.
    >
    > Jill

    I got it from a recipe card that was tucked in my electric bill about 15 years ago. It just made so
    much sense to use WW flour and brown sugar instead of white flour plus expensive bran cereal and
    white suger plus molasses. I think I used Pilsbury WW flour and that dry sawdust-like wheat bran
    from the health food store last time I made these.

    -Bob

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
    <[email protected];not> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    > > What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran
    > > available -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
    > >
    > > I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
    > >
    > > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
    > >
    > > Bran Muffins #2

    > > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method 4 cups All-Bran cereal 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran
    > > Buds cereal
    (snip)
    > Want me to send some up? I've got to get this frigging salsa in the mail to you and Jack anyway.
    > We get All-Bran for sure. I'm not positive about the Bran-Buds though. I would think any of the
    > high fibre type of cereals would work.
    >
    > Michael

    Nah, I've got the All-Bran. It's the 100% Bran or Bran Buds that may have been discontinued.
    Thanks anyway.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  7. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    > What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
    > -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.
    >
    > I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies

    Can'tcha just drink prune juice instead?

    ;-) gloria p

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.

    Bran Buds sounds like Grape Nuts, perhaps you could give them a ride in the blender.

    nancy

  9. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    >> co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it was a light and
    >> flaky thang.

    ---------------------
    Kellogg's All-Bran isn't "flaky"--it looks like (sorry) little worms. Wonderful for baking. Grape
    Nuts isn't (aren't) pure bran--it's a mixture. Nancree

  10. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    [email protected] (Nancree) wrote in news:[email protected]
    m18.aol.com:

    >>> co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky
    >>> thang.
    >
    > ---------------------
    > Kellogg's All-Bran isn't "flaky"--it looks like (sorry) little worms. Wonderful for baking. Grape
    > Nuts isn't (aren't) pure bran--it's a mixture. Nancree

    Isn't it Post All-Bran that looks like the worms?

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > >
    > > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    > > What can I substitute? I do have a food

    > Can'tcha just drink prune juice instead? ;-) gloria p

    :p Wiseacre!
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  12. The Old Bear

    The Old Bear Guest

    Nancy Young <[email protected]> writes:

    >From: Nancy Young <[email protected]> Newsgroups: rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-
    >chat Subject: Re: Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:43:01 -0500
    >
    >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >>
    >> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    >
    >Bran Buds sounds like Grape Nuts, perhaps you could give them a ride in the blender.

    Bran cereal like "Bran Buds" or "100% Bran" or "All-Bran" consist of whole wheat bran and sugar (and
    some malt, corn syrup sweetener, salt and "enriched" with vitamins and minerals).

    Grape Nuts, on the other hand, are quite hard and crunchy. They are made from wheat flour (rather
    than wheat bran) and sweeteners and are manufactured by baking, made into crumbs and finally toasted
    until hard. Grape Nuts are much lower in fiber than the bran cereals.

    Generally, ready-to-eat commercial bran cereals are used in making bran muffins because they are
    widely available and easy to moisten and fold into the muffin batter. But their function is to add
    wheat bran fiber and they provide a little sweetener as a bonus.

    You should be able to substitue wheat bran (usually available where health foods are sold, or sold
    as a cooked cereal to be prepared like oatmeal, or sometimes with baking supplies.) Just soak the
    wheat bran in place of the Bran Buds cereal and increase the amount of sugar in the recipe.

    Cheers, The Old Bear

  13. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in the local grocery stores.
    > What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available
    > -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.

    <snipped>
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

    Dora

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    limey wrote:

    > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

    Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:

    Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is NUMBER
    TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!

    (laughing) nancy

  15. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > limey wrote:
    >
    > > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.
    >
    > Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
    >
    > Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is NUMBER
    > TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!

    Wait, I forgot, Dennis Wolfberg was the original Quiznos model!

    nancy (if you never saw him, you won't know why that's funny)

  16. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > limey wrote:
    >
    > > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.
    >
    > Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
    >
    > Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is NUMBER
    > TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!
    >
    > (laughing) nancy

    You've got that right! Spoken by one who knows!

    Dora

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    limey wrote:

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > limey wrote:
    > >
    > > > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.
    > >
    > > Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
    > >
    > > Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll be thinking about is
    > > NUMBER TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!
    > >
    > > (laughing) nancy
    >
    > You've got that right! Spoken by one who knows!
    >
    > Dora

    I still miss him and his Quiznos eyes.

    nancy

  18. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" wrote>

    Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
    > the local grocery stores. What can I substitute? I do have a food co-op available that has, I
    > believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it was a light and flaky thang.

    <snipped>

    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Here's one example of the use of Fiber One, Barb:

    HIGH FIBER COOKIES Categories : Diabetic Desserts Cookies

    1 c Oat bran

    1 c Rolled oats

    1 c Fiber One cereal

    1 c Kellogg's bran flakes

    1 c Seedless raisins

    1 c Chopped English walnuts

    3/4 c Sugar

    4/4 c Brown sugar

    1 c Margarine (2 sticks)

    2 Large egg whites

    2 ts Vanilla

    2 c All purpose flour

    1 t Baking powder 1 t Baking soda

    5/2 ts Salt

    6/2 c Water at room temp

    Place oat bran, rolled oats, Fiber one, bran flakes, raisins and walnuts in a bowl. Mix lightly and
    set aside.

    Place sugars and margarine in mixing bowl and mix at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg
    whites and vanilla and mix lightly scraping the bowl before and after adding the egg whites. In a
    separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt and mix at low speed about 1/2 min to
    blend well. Add flour mixture and water to sugar mixture and mix at medium speed only until flour is
    moistened. Add bran mixture and mix at medium speed until well blended.

    Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray or lined
    with aluminum foil. Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let
    sit for 1 minute. Remove cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

    Dora

  19. Debbie

    Debbie Guest

    Have u tried 2 get the Bran or Bran Buds from a health food shop?