Need advice re. buying bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Andrew Short, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Andrew Short

    Andrew Short Guest

    A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says the derailleur needs
    adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that and a general tune-up, he says the bike is in
    good shape. Cosmetically at least, that appears to my untrained eye to be true.

    Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?

    This is my first time posting to this group, so I hope the content of the post is appropriate.

    Thanks.

    Andrew Short Dallas, TX

    Tags:

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says
    the
    > derailleur needs adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that
    and
    > a general tune-up, he says the bike is in good shape. Cosmetically at least, that appears to my
    > untrained eye to be true.
    >
    > Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?
    >
    > This is my first time posting to this group, so I hope the content of the post is appropriate.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Andrew Short Dallas, TX

    How about asking him to let you have a bike mechanic look it over and then take it to your local
    bike shop. People do that with cars all the time. If he's being honest, he shouldn't object.

    Pat

  3. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    >A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says the derailleur needs
    >adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that and a general tune-up, he says the bike is
    >in good shape. Cosmetically at least, that appears to my untrained eye to be true.
    >
    >Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?
    >
    >This is my first time posting to this group, so I hope the content of the post is appropriate.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Andrew Short Dallas, TX

    I am not familiar with that particular bike. But I can make some general comments as to it being a
    "good buy". A brand new shimano 105 equipped bike can be had for around $1000. The old bike will be
    lacking some of the nicer features. It will probably have down tube shifting rather than shifting up
    on the brake hoods. And it will probably have 7 gears on the rear cog as opposed to the 9 gears that
    are standard now.

    When you have the mechanic look at the bike (that was good advice from the previous poster), ask the
    mechanic if they carry parts for this thing like chains, rear clusters or freewheels and so on and
    if not, can they get them easily?

    There really is nothing wrong with a 10-15 year old bike. And if you are cash limited, you can
    get a very good ride for not so much cash. It will be missing a few features but it will still be
    very rideable.

    So if cash is no problem, there are better bikes available now. But if saving some $ is important
    and you don't mind not having the lastest bells and whistles, it is just fine. Your call.

  4. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:00:41 GMT, Andrew Short <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A guy wants to sell me his 10 - 15 year old Trek 1500 for $250. He says the derailleur needs
    > adjusting and that it needs new tires. Other than that and a general tune-up, he says the bike is
    > in good shape. Cosmetically at least, that appears to my untrained eye to be true.
    >
    > Assuming he's being honest, does that sound like a good buy?

    IIRC, a 1500 is a low-end model [I think I was looking at them for $600 US last year). At 10-15
    years old, it should not be $250; in perfect condition, maybe $150, but needing tires, adjusting,
    and general tune-up, probably $75 or less.

    Consider rescuing a road bike on garbage day, if you see one...I'm happy with the results I got (my
    rescued Peugeot is more comfortable then my very expensive new purchased road bike)

    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:

    > Consider rescuing a road bike on garbage day, if you see one...I'm happy with the results I got
    > (my rescued Peugeot is more comfortable then my very expensive new purchased road bike)

    That's more or less how I got my main ride, too. Some truing, new brake pads, chain, freewheel,
    inner cables, pedals, and a complete bearing overhaul, and she's almost good as new.

    I've been keeping an eye open for one of those old "I Found It" bumper stickers from the '70s.

    cheers, Tom