Need advice

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by Xsmoker, May 12, 2003.

1. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

Has anyone tried using a lumbar pack on rides of 50- 75 miles or
    would a small day pack be more comfortable?

Is there a front pannier that will mount on a road bike that
    doesn't have pannier braze-ons?

Thanks in advance for any help....

Tags:

2. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

My experience is the less stuff on your back the better - I certainly wouldn't go past a day pack, and I'd avoid that if possible anyway.

Luggage carrying options include the following:
    1. Handlebar bags - generally they aren't too big, and my experience of the bigger ones is that they need to be very stiff (and heavy) to maintain their shape when carrying a load.
    2. Rear rack with panniers - if you need to carry a lot of stuff this is the place to start. Panniers come in various sizes - I have a 45 litre set and an 80 litre set. The 45's can be used front or rear and are great for weekend trips, and the 80's are for touring a few weeks at a time. Obviously you can also load other kit on top of the rear rack. Rear panniers also affect your handling the least.
    3. Front rack with panniers - don't know of any racks that are designed for use without braze-ons, but a mate of mine keeps his front rack and (big!!) panniers attached to his mountain bike shocks with an intricate selection of cable ties, and this has survived very rough off-road tours - where there's a will there's a way!!

3. edward

edward New Member