Need advice

Xsmoker

Apr 25, 2003
Has anyone tried using a lumbar pack on rides of 50- 75 miles or
would a small day pack be more comfortable?

Is there a front pannier that will mount on a road bike that
doesn't have pannier braze-ons?

Thanks in advance for any help....

My experience is the less stuff on your back the better - I certainly wouldn't go past a day pack, and I'd avoid that if possible anyway.

Luggage carrying options include the following:
1. Handlebar bags - generally they aren't too big, and my experience of the bigger ones is that they need to be very stiff (and heavy) to maintain their shape when carrying a load.
2. Rear rack with panniers - if you need to carry a lot of stuff this is the place to start. Panniers come in various sizes - I have a 45 litre set and an 80 litre set. The 45's can be used front or rear and are great for weekend trips, and the 80's are for touring a few weeks at a time. Obviously you can also load other kit on top of the rear rack. Rear panniers also affect your handling the least.
3. Front rack with panniers - don't know of any racks that are designed for use without braze-ons, but a mate of mine keeps his front rack and (big!!) panniers attached to his mountain bike shocks with an intricate selection of cable ties, and this has survived very rough off-road tours - where there's a will there's a way!!

Originally posted by Xsmoker
Has anyone tried using a lumbar pack on rides of 50- 75 miles or
would a small day pack be more comfortable?

I have tried both. I would go for the small backpack (increased flexibility?), and the weight is spread more evenly. My experience is mainly off-road though.

Is there a front pannier that will mount on a road bike that
doesn't have pannier braze-ons?

There appear to be a number, especially with the need to mount same on suspension forks - makes are varied and they are reasonably expensive. This http://www.carradice.co.uk/limpets.htm site shows a UK system that my friends have used - I have no direct experience though.