need advice...

D132

Aug 15, 2007
hi everyone
im planning to buy a new road bike, according to some websites and their fitting systems, i need a 48cm bike frame.
the only one i've found here is a "fuji bordeaux" which is for woman. I would like to know if it the fitting is the same or should i get a frame made for man? can a man ride a frame for woman or will i feel uncomfortable on it?

thnx in advance

Typically, the difference between the men's and women-specific frames are minute. Restricting yourself to women's-only frames will greatly narrow your choices. Of course, don't buy a "lady's frame" bike with the step-through frame though - those kinds of frames usually only come on "family" bikes anyways - but other than that, either men's or women's frames are fine, and many women do ride men's frame bikes.

If a store has both the men's and women's specific variety in a model that you are interested in, choose the women's - otherwise don't concern yourself too much. The most important thing is how the bike "feels" when you ride it anyway, which should determine whether you purchase it.

thnx for ur reply
the prob here is that i'm a man with short inseam (72cm), so i've been looking for a 48cm frame but the only frame available in this height is the fuji i've mentioned before.
i've look in other shops but they only got frame as from 54cm. The owner of the shop told me that there's no big diff btween "man's" frame and "lady's". Is that true?

Although I have no personal experience from women's bikes, looking at the specs between a woman's frame and a men's frame will confirm that he is right - there is little difference. You're talking usually 5 millimeters difference between a men's top tube and a women's top tube for bikes whose seat tube length is equal; and other than slightly different tube dimensions and maybe a different crank arm length, nothing else is different on a women's frame.

Look at the specs and see how the bike feels. However, from what I've seen on the used market, there should be plenty of bikes available that are under 50 cm. The popularity of compact frames should make it yet easier to find a frame that fits you. Perhaps you could check out a bike shop further away which you haven't visited yet, or the used market?

hey thx u'r really hepling me :D

yeah i've look at all bike shop in the island (about 5 only!!!) apart from the one i've told you, none of them hve that sized available there are 2 frame 50cm available. But 50cm a bit high for me.. yeah maybe i'll look for a 2nd hand, last wk i've missed an opportunity on a 2nd hand 50cm sloping carbon frame(giant). :(
btw do you have any information about the difference btwn sloping and "normal" frame? I've seen on the net that i need a 44cm for sloping instead of a 48cm for a normal frame?
-----------
thnx again

Have you considered buying on line? I'm sure you'll find loads of choice at that size, especially at this time of year when they are trying to shift their '07 stock before the '08s come in. My husband is looking for a new entry level road bike in a 58 at the moment and in fact he's having the opposite problem - most of the sites seem to only have the smaller sizes left (and are offering them at some great bargain prices).

D132 said:
hey thx u'r really hepling me :D
btw do you have any information about the difference btwn sloping and "normal" frame? I've seen on the net that i need a 44cm for sloping instead of a 48cm for a normal frame?
Yes a compact frame can have a taller seat tube height than a traditional frame (with a completely horizontal top tube). This is really because, say, a 48 cm compact frame will have about the same clearance as a 44 cm traditional frame. Of course, the angle of the tubes makes a difference as well, especially in compact frames where they are highly variable, so the dimensions aren't definitive. Suffice it to say that you can go + or - 2 cm from the optimal size for either a compact or a traditional frame. And it's usually better to go a bit too small rather than too big.

hilaryworton said:
Have you considered buying on line? I'm sure you'll find loads of choice at that size, especially at this time of year when they are trying to shift their '07 stock before the '08s come in. My husband is looking for a new entry level road bike in a 58 at the moment and in fact he's having the opposite problem - most of the sites seem to only have the smaller sizes left (and are offering them at some great bargain prices).
yes sure i've been looking online but many of the stores don't deliver to Mauritius. :mad: I'm actually in Mauritius. You can take a look on ebay theres a lot of great deal on 58" road bike there... :D

ABG said:
Yes a compact frame can have a taller seat tube height than a traditional frame (with a completely horizontal top tube). This is really because, say, a 48 cm compact frame will have about the same clearance as a 44 cm traditional frame. Of course, the angle of the tubes makes a difference as well, especially in compact frames where they are highly variable, so the dimensions aren't definitive. Suffice it to say that you can go + or - 2 cm from the optimal size for either a compact or a traditional frame. And it's usually better to go a bit too small rather than too big.
ok...A friend went to the store to take a look at the fuji bike, and he said that the seat tubes angle is too "straight" to fit me and that it is not a good idea to buy that bike...

D132 said:
yes sure i've been looking online but many of the stores don't deliver to Mauritius. :mad: I'm actually in Mauritius. You can take a look on ebay theres a lot of great deal on 58" road bike there... :D
Wow! Mauritius eh? :cool: I love how these forums put you in touch with riders all over the world! I bet there are some amazing rides to be had. Post some pics so we can drool...

hilaryworton said:
Wow! Mauritius eh? :cool: I love how these forums put you in touch with riders all over the world! I bet there are some amazing rides to be had. Post some pics so we can drool...
yeah i'll post some pics soon...nxt month on the 7th oct there will be a fun race, the 100km race... :D if i'm not riding i'll take some pics then post it here :D

hey thnx to u all for ur precious advice... Pffffff finally i got my bike...its a 49 cm frame... I'm actually fine-tuning it :D...i'll post some pics when i'm done... :D
thnx again..