Need advice

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by guy231, Feb 10, 2011.

1. guy231

guy231 New Member

Hey peeps,

I've got a 45 mile race coming up this weekend and I am not quite ready for it. I did a 70mile race two weeks ago and after that I got a bad case of flu. It is much better now but I still have a niggly cough and a runny nose, I have not done alot of exercise due to the fact that I am sick.

I really want to do the race as it is for charity, I will take it easy not to over exert myself.

What do you think is it a good idea or should I rather stay away for a few more days?

It suck that I have not been on my bike in two weeks.

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

you will get drop most probably, your mistake was to wait for those 2 weeks before asking, our trainer allways said that a cyclist
    recovers from those illnesses ON THE BIKE, you can still train feeling like shit and more or less keep you in shape.

3. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

Is it a race or a ride? I would say if it is just a ride then go for it and take it easy just like you said you would. But if it's a race then you will definitely be hurting. Either way, a charity ride is a good thing. And the fact that you are willing to do it even though you are just getting over the flu really shows your level of commitment. Good on you!

4. guy231

guy231 New Member

Its just a ride, so I would definitely try and keep it slow and steady.

Thanx vspa, that is good to know, what type of training should I stick to, to not make it worse. As I have heard that it can make it worse.

Steve, thanx for the compliment the race is called "ride for sight" proceeds go to funding research in the treatment of retinal blindness and it helps to raise awerness. I was going to do the main event but decided to scale down due to this useless flu.

Thanx guys.

P.S What is the purpose of flu?

5. vspa

vspa Active Member

if it is too cold outside you could do 30 to 40 minutes on the trainer at home, low intensity like you would do on recovery rides.

6. stevegreer

stevegreer Member

Awesome! I am planning on doing the Tour de Cure this year. That's the one that raises money for diabetes research.

7. frankiemuniz01

frankiemuniz01 New Member

The group is separating which makes it insanely more difficult to draft. coming thought the final turn, I stood up and laid in the acceleration, sprinting. One guy next to me was doing the same, and he was just a hair faster than I, but he couldn't hold it for the duration and I edged out in front. I passed two other riders who had were not sprinting. It doesn't really mean anything since I am no where near the top 20 among this 105 riders present. Yeah, there was quite the turnout for the first race of the season. End result, I am happy with my performance today. And as I said earlier, I still have all my skin.

8. guy231

guy231 New Member

Hey guys, so it went very well yesterday, I didn't feel too bad and I caught a nice group to stick with on the first half of the ride. I ended up doing a very nice pace of 34kph and finish the race 1h50. I think thats not too bad for a sick boy. Helps alot when I an stick to a group with a nice pace.

Steve, weldone for taking on the tour, what distances will you be covering with it?

The whole race turned very well, around 3000 people participated. This is my estimate, can call it a calculated guess, I think.

So today I get back to the gym and some spinning, although Im am still a little under the weather.

9. vspa

vspa Active Member

some strong case in cyclingnews about riding with the FLU:

-----------------------

Tom Boonen (Quick Step) is used to cold weather

Belgian pleased to have ridden Tirreno-Adriatico in spite of illness
    Tom Boonen (Quick Step) believes that he was correct to ride Tirreno-Adriatico even though he was suffering with the flu.

----------------------