Need advise on a Serotta purchase

On Feb 8, 8:31 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 9:10 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 8, 7:52 am, "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Waterford frames cost twice as much as other similar hand built frames
> > > with the same materials. Around here, Waterford frames are sold in the
> > > same shops that do Serotta, don't build wheels, and try to blow all
> > > sorts of smoke up your rectum. There's plenty of hype around them as
> > > well. Why not a Heron for 1200 less? Or fly to the UK for the
> > > difference and get a Mercian custom fitted.

> > > $900 Strada Speciale frame
> > > $800 Round trip ticket to the UK
> > > -------
> > > $1700, Which leaves you $800 to spend on pints at the pub and a small
> > > room to retire to.

> > No doubt..a Heron is $1200 less than a waterford with Ultegra?..$1800
> > for an Ultegra bike, with the frame built in the US IS amazing. Not
> > saying 'offshore' frames aren't made well but a Waterford at $1300 is
> > not twice as much as similarly made frames with the same materials.

> For some reason, I thought the tag on the last Waterford I saw said,
> "$2500". My bad.

No worries, The very most expensive, non new stainless frame, the
R-22, is $1999...

landotter wrote:

> You can get Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra and enjoy their long warranty--
> or you can spend quite a bit less and get Campagnolo Veloce and have a
> groupset that you can service and buy small parts for. If you want to
> ride Shimano, 105 is as good as any recreational rider needs.
> Remember, you can always get the expensive DA or Ultegra brifters to
> shift 105 kit with.

Very sensible answer. There are all kinds here on rbm, so one can
usually count on getting good advice.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Waterford R-13 series, carbon fork, Ultegra group..handbuilt wheels,
> Ritchey componets..about $3000 here..Custom frame, many free color
> choices..no hype, BS or typical Serotta bloviation.

Possibly of interest to those in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois:

Richard Schwinn, who runs Waterford (yes -- he is one of those Schwinns)
does a tour of the factory and a ride with the Evanston (IL) bicycle club
and Kenosha Racine bicycle club in the summer. See the web sites of these
clubs for details.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> ..a Heron is $1200 less than a waterford with Ultegra?..

Heron frames are made in the Waterford factory. This doesn't mean they are
the same spec, only that they are made by the same people.

Sheldon Brown has a bit more -- and speaks with a bit more authority!! -- on
the subject of Heron frames.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/heron/index.html