Need advise !!!

Mica

Guest
I need a recomendation between Trek and Cannondale mountain bike(hard tail). please help me to
choose !!! There is the reason for me not to choose cannondale is that they are using non standard
headset and fork. If One day I need replacement of fork or the headset, I have to go back to
cannondale to used their parts. as we have already know that cannondale is not a cheap. another
things that i don't like in cannnondale is their Rear derailleur cable mounting. they are using the
plastic bit in the bottom bracket. What about the plastic become worn one day. the cable will cut
thru the bottom bracket frame for sure !! One thing I like about cannondale is their
hourglass-shaped seat stays. I believe it will absorb more bump than trek's frame design..... For
the Trek, I like the ZR9000 frame, which is more stiff than any aluminium tubing and of course it is
cheaper than cannondale... it is more bang for the buck.... and Trek bikes seems have more choice on
parts like the headset and forks.

please, give me some advise !!! or any experience..... that u all have......

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

Trek has the best customers service on the planet. Cannodale is bankrupt.

"Mica" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> cannondale is not a cheap. another things that i don't like in cannnondale is their Rear
> derailleur cable mounting. they are
using
> the plastic bit in the bottom bracket. What about the plastic become worn one day. the cable will
> cut thru the bottom bracket frame for sure !! One thing I like about cannondale is their
> hourglass-shaped seat stays. I believe it will absorb more bump than trek's frame design..... For
> the Trek, I like the ZR9000 frame, which is more stiff than any aluminium tubing and of course it
> is cheaper than cannondale... it is more bang for the buck.... and Trek bikes seems have more
> choice on parts like the headset and
forks.

> please, give me some advise !!! or any experience..... that u all have......

I have a C'dale F3000 that I would love if it fit better. Stiff, light, etc. The upside to the
C'dale is the fork. The downside about the C'dale is the fork. That Headshok makes fitting different
stems an expensive proposition.

The plastic cable guide under the BB is going to outlast any of the bikes you'll ever own. No need
to worry about that.

If the bike fits, the Cannondales are good bikes.

I've never owned a Trek so I can't comment on them other than from what I've seen out riding. They
seem to be well built bikes, but somehow, they're just Treks.

Mike

--

Mica wrote:

> I need a recomendation between Trek and Cannondale mountain bike(hard tail). please help me to
> choose !!! There is the reason for me not to choose cannondale is that they are using non standard
> headset and fork. If One day I need replacement of fork or the headset, I have to go back to
> cannondale to used their parts.

A valid consideration. Standard parts are good to have.

> another things that i don't like in cannnondale is their Rear derailleur cable mounting. they are
> using the plastic bit in the bottom bracket. What about the plastic become worn one day. the cable
> will cut thru the bottom bracket frame for sure !!

This is a non-issue.

> One thing I like about cannondale is their hourglass-shaped seat stays. I believe it will absorb
> more bump than trek's frame design.....

They won't.

> For the Trek, I like the ZR9000 frame, which is more stiff than any aluminium tubing and of course
> it is cheaper than cannondale... it is more bang for the buck....

All frames are stiff.

> please, give me some advise !!! or any experience..... that u all have......

Ride them both.

Spot T. Rex wrote:

>Trek has the best customers service on the planet. Cannodale is bankrupt.
>
>"Mica" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>I need a recomendation between Trek and Cannondale mountain bike(hard
>>

>tail).
>

>>please help me to choose !!! There is the reason for me not to choose cannondale is that they are
>>using non standard headset and fork. If One day I need replacement of fork or
>>

>the
>

>>headset, I have to go back to cannondale to used their parts. as we have already know that
>>cannondale is not a cheap. another things that i don't like in cannnondale is their Rear
>>derailleur cable mounting. they are
>>

>using
>

>>the plastic bit in the bottom bracket. What about the plastic become worn one day. the cable will
>>cut thru the bottom bracket frame for sure !! One thing I like about cannondale is their
>>hourglass-shaped seat stays. I believe it will absorb more bump than trek's frame design..... For
>>the Trek, I like the ZR9000 frame, which is more stiff than any aluminium tubing and of course it
>>is cheaper than cannondale... it is more bang for the buck.... and Trek bikes seems have more
>>choice on parts like the headset and
>>

>forks.
>

>>please, give me some advise !!! or any experience..... that u all have......
>>

>>--
>>rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
>>contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
>>http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt
>>

>--
>rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
>the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
>http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Cannondale is being split into two .. Cannondale bikes is doing very well, Cannondale Motor Racing
is up the shitter.

--

Mica wrote:
> I need a recomendation between Trek and Cannondale mountain bike(hard tail). please help me to
> choose !!! There is the reason for me not to choose cannondale is that they are using non standard
> headset and fork. If One day I need replacement of fork or the headset, I have to go back to
> cannondale to used their parts. as we have already know that cannondale is not a cheap. another
> things that i don't like in cannnondale is their Rear derailleur cable mounting. they are using
> the plastic bit in the bottom bracket. What about the plastic become worn one day. the cable will
> cut thru the bottom bracket frame for sure !! One thing I like about cannondale is their
> hourglass-shaped seat stays. I believe it will absorb more bump than trek's frame design..... For
> the Trek, I like the ZR9000 frame, which is more stiff than any aluminium tubing and of course it
> is cheaper than cannondale... it is more bang for the buck.... and Trek bikes seems have more
> choice on parts like the headset and forks.

I run Cannondales. I had an F1000. At over 12k miles, I replaced it with a Jekyll. The cable guide
("plastic bit") wasn't showing any wear (lots of nicks, etc. from stuff that I went over -- but no
wear from the cables). And, the fork was doing fine. I ripped the rear DR off once (big stick caught
it) and was REALLY glad that all I had to do was to screw on a new hanger and DR instead of having
to do surgery on the frame to try to fix a ripped-out bent hanger!

The headset bearings are almost trivial to replace on the cannondale -- just pull the stem, tap the
fork down and it will come out. The bearings can then be tapped out and the new ones tapped in. Keep
'em lubbed and they'll last forever (mine didn't really need replacing -- it was me).

And, neither frame is probably flexing -- aluminim frames are rigid. Any flexing that you feel is
the rim and tire.

BUT, both bikes are probably decent bikes. Ride 'em. Choose the one that fits you and handles best.

David

--

Spot T. Rex wrote:
> Trek has the best customers service on the planet. Cannodale is bankrupt.

Cannondale is out of backrupcy and just replaced a frame for me. Their bike division is strong and
has always supported the other divisions. The problem is that the other divisions finally got too
bad and needed to be trimmed from the company.

Their customer support has been great for me.

David

> "Mica" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>I need a recomendation between Trek and Cannondale mountain bike(hard
>
> tail).
>
>>please help me to choose !!! There is the reason for me not to choose cannondale is that they are
>>using non standard headset and fork. If One day I need replacement of fork or
>
> the
>
>>headset, I have to go back to cannondale to used their parts. as we have already know that
>>cannondale is not a cheap. another things that i don't like in cannnondale is their Rear
>>derailleur cable mounting. they are
>
> using
>
>>the plastic bit in the bottom bracket. What about the plastic become worn one day. the cable will
>>cut thru the bottom bracket frame for sure !! One thing I like about cannondale is their
>>hourglass-shaped seat stays. I believe it will absorb more bump than trek's frame design..... For
>>the Trek, I like the ZR9000 frame, which is more stiff than any aluminium tubing and of course it
>>is cheaper than cannondale... it is more bang for the buck.... and Trek bikes seems have more
>>choice on parts like the headset and
>
> forks.
>
>>please, give me some advise !!! or any experience..... that u all have......
>>

>>--
>>rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
>>contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
>>http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt
>>

> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
> contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
> http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

In article <[email protected]>, David Kunz
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Spot T. Rex wrote:
> > Trek has the best customers service on the planet. Cannodale is bankrupt.
>
> Cannondale is out of backrupcy and just replaced a frame for me. Their bike division is strong and
> has always supported the other divisions. The problem is that the other divisions finally got too
> bad and needed to be trimmed from the company.

exactly. Getting into the motorcycle biz was an extremely ill-advised and stupid decision.

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Mica:these bike are excellent choices... you can't go wrong with either.

I have cannondales---- scalpel 4000, a F3000 hardtail, and a jekyll 3000. Also have a R2000si road
bike. Recently gave my daughter my superv 2000. I think these are excellent bikes... good service,
good tech. support.

charlie Member Help Community Leader