Need Aero wheels

tafi

Jul 31, 2003
G'day folks
I've been tooling around on American Classic 420s wheels for the last 8 months for races and have found them wanting in stiffness, responsiveness and strength. I am continually getting them trued. So I am seriously considering purchasing a different set of race wheels.
I'm pretty sure I'd rather stay with clincher wheels and judging the profiles of most of the races I do, I think that something more aerodynamic and stiff than light would be better.
The main ones I have been looking at are Zipp 404 and Bontrager Race Xtra lite Aeros.

I've heard that the 404s had warping problems and after sales customer service issues, but I don't know many people who ride the Bontragers. Are there any views on the strength and outright speed of these wheels?

Cheers

Originally posted by tafi
The main ones I have been looking at are Zipp 404 and Bontrager Race Xtra lite Aeros.

I've heard that the 404s had warping problems and after sales customer service issues, but I don't know many people who ride the Bontragers. Are there any views on the strength and outright speed of these wheels?
The Zipp clincher quality issues were reportedly horrendous, but confined to the pre-2003 models. The 2003 and 2004 versions are a significant re-design (and a few grams heavier, it's worth noting), and by every account I've read, pretty trouble free. If they're in your price range and you're committed to clinchers, they're probably worth a closer look.

I've never done serious time on aero Zipps, but as much as any wheels seem to give themselves to high speed, Zipps are pretty legendary.

The Mavic Cosmic Carbones get a lot of flak for being alloy (and not carbon after all) and quite heavy, but they're impressively sturdy and, like Zipps, well-designed for flaming cruising speeds. I forget how their rim depth compares to 404s, but they're definitely in the same category.

The only other deep-section clinchers I can think of are from Reynolds (exclusive and quite light for an aero clincher), and the Spindery Tillium (extremely affordable, but heavy, and with an apparent emphasis on durability). I don't know much about the Bontragers either...

The Am Classic wheels should be strong and durable. I don't think the other lightweight options (Zipp, Hed, Reynolds etc) are stronger. Mavic Cosmic Carbone is a bit heavier, but extremly durable and strong - used by pro's as Chippolini in ordinary road races (and TT's).

The AC 420 isn't all that light where it counts. The rim is still 420g, and shouldn't be flimsy at all given its depth. It's the hubs that are so light bring the overall weight down by 200g compared to say Campy Record. That's also the part I'd most expect to be weak. The truing issue you mention could just be a poor build.

My friends with Zipp 404s and 303s rave about them.

I'd never do the Mavics, even if Cippolini sold me his set. WAY too heavy for the money.

G'day folks
I've been tooling around on American Classic 420s wheels for the last 8 months for races and have found them wanting in stiffness, responsiveness and strength. I am continually getting them trued. So I am seriously considering purchasing a different set of race wheels.
I'm pretty sure I'd rather stay with clincher wheels and judging the profiles of most of the races I do, I think that something more aerodynamic and stiff than light would be better.

Cheers

The AC 420 have a weight limit at 180 lbs I believe. Are you below or above that number?

Originally posted by Aztec
The AC 420 isn't all that light where it counts. The rim is still 420g, and shouldn't be flimsy at all given its depth. It's the hubs that are so light bring the overall weight down by 200g compared to say Campy Record. That's also the part I'd most expect to be weak. The truing issue you mention could just be a poor build.

My friends with Zipp 404s and 303s rave about them.

I'd never do the Mavics, even if Cippolini sold me his set. WAY too heavy for the money.

Well I´m sure his set is for sale since he rides Lightweights.

Originally posted by mrowkoob
Well I´m sure his set is for sale since he rides Lightweights.

Good point!! :)

How much ya want em for? I ride AC 420 too as well...

Originally posted by Aztec
Well sheesh; no one ever said to go climbing on them. Strictly a flatland / TT / low-wind crit wheel. My biggest problem with them is that they're hideously ugly.

If you took a look at the aluminium rims (deep and shallow) curently on market you would find 420g to be a pretty reasonable weight. I don't really want to consider Carbon rims since the risk of irrepairable damage if you have a flat is too high considering the amount of broken glass around at the moment.

I know there was a weight limit placed on the 350's but I wasn't aware of one for the 420's. In any case I am about 70~73kg (154~160lb) and I ride the beefed up 18/24 spoke build version in A grade in Sydney.
All I know is that they flex like a piece of cardboard! If I track stand on them the front will bend so that one side presses against the brake pad, whereas if I track stand on my training wheels (Mavic Open pros with 32/32 Build on Centaur hubs) they barely deflect at all.
This flex doesn't exactly inspire confidence in cornering either.

If you took a look at the aluminium rims (deep and shallow) curently on market you would find 420g to be a pretty reasonable weight. I don't really want to consider Carbon rims since the risk of irrepairable damage if you have a flat is too high considering the amount of broken glass around at the moment.

I know there was a weight limit placed on the 350's but I wasn't aware of one for the 420's. In any case I am about 70~73kg (154~160lb) and I ride the beefed up 18/24 spoke build version in A grade in Sydney.
All I know is that they flex like a piece of cardboard! If I track stand on them the front will bend so that one side presses against the brake pad, whereas if I track stand on my training wheels (Mavic Open pros with 32/32 Build on Centaur hubs) they barely deflect at all.
This flex doesn't exactly inspire confidence in cornering either.

wow, you must put some serious pressure on the bike/tires. The AC 420 is not especially known for its stiffness, that I do concur. But I can say that it's stiff enough for my use and that as much force that I've put on the bike/tires, I haven't felt that level of flex.

Any opinions about Corima Aero wheels, tubulars especially? I' ve narrowed my selection to American Classic 420 clinchers or those noticed earlier. I' m Elite rider concentrated on sprints (69kg) but I also have to deal with climbing... I Already own Ksyriums.

Originally posted by Pobre
Any opinions about Corima Aero wheels, tubulars especially? I' ve narrowed my selection to American Classic 420 clinchers or those noticed earlier. I' m Elite rider concentrated on sprints (69kg) but I also have to deal with climbing... I Already own Ksyriums.

I considered ksyriums but have been warned off them. THe spokes are auminium and fatigue after a year of race-only use.

ok.

DONT BUY CLINCHERS

DONT BUY WHEELS WITH ALU RIM STRIPS

buy zipp 404 tubular or Campagnolo Bora G3. The Bora wheelset is VERY nice!