Need assistance

mikey1010

Apr 20, 2010
Hi there, I have been road cycling for about 3 months now, but i noticed something odd, My left knee seems to rotate inwards when pushing down, my right knee does not do this it is straight and fine. So whats wrong with it, i have to admit that my left leg is weaker than my right leg, i have read that some people say it could be weak stabilizer muscles. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated! :D

I think we need to know about your set up, as in, seat height, type of pedals, cleats. It could be a weak knee but also could be a simple cleat adjustment, like moving your cleat back just a bit or adjusting your saddle height. Maybe your saddle is putting too much pressure on one side and causing your to favor the other side. Lots of factors.

First I would recommend reading some of Steve Hogg's writings on bicycle fit:
cyclefitcentre further reading

Next I would recommend having someone else take a look at your position and movement on the bike. Relying on your own perceptions of movement can be misleading. I thought, for nearly 3 decades, that my right knee had a slight "S" curve to it while pedaling. When I went in for a "digitized" fitting/analysis I discovered that my right knee was (nearly) perfectly straight and that my left knee had a slight "loop" to it.

Dave

mikey1010 said:
Hi there, I have been road cycling for about 3 months now, but i noticed something odd, My left knee seems to rotate inwards when pushing down, my right knee does not do this it is straight and fine. So whats wrong with it, i have to admit that my left leg is weaker than my right leg, i have read that some people say it could be weak stabilizer muscles. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated! :D

Is it causing you pain during or after a ride?

And do your walking shoes wear evenly, or have you noticed you always have one shoe that wear out quicker or has an unusual wear pattern?

Hey guys! Well i have flat feet, but i have custom in soles in my shoes only to suit my feet, i find that my shoes do wear pretty evenly and yes my left looks like it is shaped like an S curve but like you said could just be my perceptions. You see i had a my bike fitted for me but the frame was to small, so to get the medium size frame i had to wait 7 weeks, so the store gave me a bike for those 7 weeks but didn't fit me on it because i wasn't gonna ride it for long. Finally the frame size arrived but they took the measurements from the loaned bike and didn't do and appropriate adjustment, he said ride the new bike for a month then come back and do a proper fit and service.
Can you explain to me more how the saddle can put stress of one leg more then the other?:D