Need Beaver Island, MI info

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by John Crankshaw, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. 8 of us are going to Beaver Island this summer with fat
    tire bicycles. We like to ride two-track, not the
    technical stuff.

    Anybody on this group been there and can you tell me about
    accomodations? Where to ride?

    Tags:

  2. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Anybody on this group been there and can you tell me about
    >accomodations?

    I've been there, but I just flew in for the day and ended up
    staying the night (due to mechanical problems).

    I stayed at the Erin Motel. It's downtown, right near the
    ferry stop. (It's one of the few dog-friendly places and I
    had one of my dogs with
    me.) It was nice and basic. I enjoyed being around town.

    http://www.beaverisland.org/accommodations/
    http://www.beaverisland.org/camping/

    I recommend Dalwhinnie for lunch.
    http://www.mcdonoughsmarket.com/dalwhinnie.htm

    >Where to ride?

    I only drove between the airports (yes, both) and town. I
    don't think you can go wrong just cruising around. http://w-
    ww.beaverisland.net/Places/Island_Map/beaverislandnet_bimap-
    .gif I was mostly on The King's Highway, but the roads near
    the shore are probably more scenic.

    These people might be able to guide you to areas of your
    specific interests. http://www.beaverislandecotours.com/

    I hope to get back there this year (with the rest of the
    family and bikes).

    --kyler

  3. David Newman

    David Newman Guest

    On Beaver Island, even the single track is non-technical.
    (At least, the stuff I was on was non-technical.) I rode the
    west side of the Island from North to South, including the
    Kuebler Trail. It's all pretty flat, though sandy in places.
    Few rocks or roots that I saw, and nothing that anyone would
    call technical.

    I stayed at the Beaver Island Lodge and ate at Nina's
    restaurant in the Lodge. I also had dinner and a beer at
    what I think must now be the Shamrock Restaurant and Pub. It
    was called the 'old Rectory' when I was there.

    Beaver Island is a nice quiet place to relax. Anyone looking
    for lots of night life or other excitement will be
    disappointed. If you're going in the summer, be prepared for
    high humidity and bugs.

    >>Dave

  4. Thanks, David. Appreciate the info.

    Any other motel/hotel look good to you?

    We've already zeroed in on the Shamrock as maybe a place for
    a cool Guinness after riding...

    John

    David Newman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nospam-
    [email protected]

    > On Beaver Island, even the single track is non-technical.
    > (At least, the stuff I was on was non-technical.) I rode
    > the west side of the Island from North to South, including
    > the Kuebler Trail. It's all pretty flat, though sandy in
    > places. Few rocks or roots that I saw, and nothing that
    > anyone would call technical.
    >
    > I stayed at the Beaver Island Lodge and ate at Nina's
    > restaurant in the Lodge. I also had dinner and a beer at
    > what I think must now be the Shamrock Restaurant and Pub.
    > It was called the 'old Rectory' when I was there.
    >
    > Beaver Island is a nice quiet place to relax. Anyone
    > looking for lots of night life or other excitement will be
    > disappointed. If you're going in the summer, be prepared
    > for high humidity and bugs.
    >
    > >>Dave

  5. Thanks, Kyler.

    Any other motel/hotel look good to you? How did you come to
    stay in the Erin?

    John

    Kyler Laird <[email protected]> wrote in message news:7dfei1-
    [email protected]
    > "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >Anybody on this group been there and can you tell me
    > >about accomodations?
    >
    > I've been there, but I just flew in for the day and ended
    > up staying the night (due to mechanical problems).
    >
    > I stayed at the Erin Motel. It's downtown, right near the
    > ferry stop. (It's one of the few dog-friendly places and I
    > had one of my dogs with
    > me.) It was nice and basic. I enjoyed being around town.
    >
    > http://www.beaverisland.org/accommodations/
    > http://www.beaverisland.org/camping/
    >
    > I recommend Dalwhinnie for lunch.
    > http://www.mcdonoughsmarket.com/dalwhinnie.htm
    >
    > >Where to ride?
    >
    > I only drove between the airports (yes, both) and town. I
    > don't think you can go wrong just cruising around. http:/-
    > /www.beaverisland.net/Places/Island_Map/beaverislandnet_b-
    > imap.gif I was mostly on The King's Highway, but the roads
    > near the shore are probably more scenic.
    >
    > These people might be able to guide you to areas of your
    > specific interests. http://www.beaverislandecotours.com/
    >
    > I hope to get back there this year (with the rest of the
    > family and bikes).
    >
    > --kyler

  6. Kyler Laird

    Kyler Laird Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Any other motel/hotel look good to you?

    I didn't check, but especially if you're going to be there
    for awhile (and in a group) I suggest looking at rental
    housing. You'll have a choice of more locations and better
    places to tuck your bikes.

    >How did you come to stay in the Erin?

    Someone at the airport told me that it was dog-friendly and
    run by a pilot. That was good enough for me. http://www.ecn-
    .purdue.edu/~laird/flying/flights/1999/Beaver_Island.whtml

    --kyler

  7. David Newman

    David Newman Guest

    I didn't pay much attention to any other motels; I made my
    reservation before I went over, and spent most of my time on
    the island out away from town.