Need bike purchase advise!

Atlbiker32

Jan 19, 2010
Ok, so I'm still a beginner road cyclist and just sold my 2005 Trek 1000. I am looking to upgrade and here are my options:

1. 2004 Felt F65 - aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat stays. 105 components (front derailleur, brakes, cranks) except Ultegra rear derailleur. Wheels are Velomax Circuit TC3.

2. 2005 Giant TCR Composite 3 - Carbon fiber composite frame, seatpost. 105 components except brakes. Wheels are Xero XSR-3. I think the cranks on the Giant are TruVativ Elita GXP.

I've ridden both bikes and the "fit" feels good for each even though the frame geometry is quite different. The Giant is about 1.5 lbs lighter. Both are being sold for $650. My questions - which one is the better bike and does the price seem reasonable for each bike? Information and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

alienator said:
Which one makes you the most excited? Buy that one.

Thanks for your response!

That's just it, the Felt made me excited until I saw the Giant, which also made me excited. You see, I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam. The Felt is a 63cm frame - bikes that big don't come up for sale often. I was ready to get it when the Giant (an XL frame) became available.

Which would you say is the better deal at $650?

Atlbiker32 said:
Thanks for your response!

That's just it, the Felt made me excited until I saw the Giant, which also made me excited. You see, I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam. The Felt is a 63cm frame - bikes that big don't come up for sale often. I was ready to get it when the Giant (an XL frame) became available.

Which would you say is the better deal at $650?

It's a toss up. The wheels on the Felt are better, as well as the BB. Truvative BB's have historically had some issues.

Are these bikes new or used?

If you are new to cycling, the first thing you may notice is just how many different types of bikes are available these days. Choosing the right bike can be down right daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Let’s try to clear things up. . .
No one bike can do everything. The first thing you need to consider is how you want to use the bike. Are you going to be using it mostly on the road? Do you want to take it off-road? Unless you’re looking for a trick bike, beach cruiser, or other specialty type bike, there are really three main types of bikes: road bikes, mountain bikes and hybrid bikes.

alienator said:
It's a toss up. The wheels on the Felt are better, as well as the BB. Truvative BB's have historically had some issues.

Are these bikes new or used?

Both of the bikes are used. The Giant seems to be in a little better shape. One thing I noticed about the Felt is that I felt really stretched out on it. It does have a 120mm stem which I could always change.

Atlbiker32 said:
Both of the bikes are used. The Giant seems to be in a little better shape.
Felt F frames are excellent, but Giant TCR Composite is pretty special--a monocoque carbon fiber frame available at a moderate price.

I'm prejudiced, having ridden one for almost a year now. Giant TCR Composites are just great frames--reasonably light, snappy handling and acceleration, and ride that you can deal with all day long. Also, the ever-so-slightly extended Giant head tube makes getting a decent fit a lot easier.

xxtimber said:
I had a friend who cracked his Giant carbon frame:p. I would go for the Felt!

There have likely been frames from every manufacturer that have broke. Those stories mean nothing, especially when the facts of the matter are unknown.